1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT-100dc, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Any "old fashioned" shooters out there prefer fixed chokes? Call me odd but I still prefer a fixed full choke. BT100dc

2. BD457

BD457 Member

I have both and prefer fixed full.

Mike

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I love Fixed Full on a trap gun because it makes the used shotgun roughly 10% less expensive, plus it's what you need anyway :)

However, I must confess - it is nice to have an extended tube because it protects your muzzle in case you ever bump/drag it on the ground.

-Gary

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to prefer fixed chokes, too - all the old salts had me convinced that they patterned much better. But I couldn't help noticing those suckers with choke tubes were hammering targets real well and started having second thoughts. Then in 2002, I bought a new KX-5, a gun that did not offer fixed chokes.

It didn't take long for me to change my opinion. If I wanted to experiment with a different constriction or even different brand of choke, changing was easy and "non-invasive" to my gun. And if the new choke didn't suit me, it was quickly and just as easily reversible and I could even sell the unwanted choke tube if desired. Once a reamer cuts into your barrel's bore, there's no going back.

Today, I won't buy a new shotgun without choke tubes.

Ed

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have both fixed choke barrels and choke tube barrels. Both types work well. However, my favorite barrels are a fixed full and fixed modified 870 TB/TC barrels. They get almost no plastic build up from plastic wads and give great patterns.

I have been to many a "games" shoot where old Model 12 fixed full chokes win the match. Plus, the fixed full choke in the 870 comp barrels are also very effective.

Ed Ward

6. Cush

Cush TS Member

The shame is that hardly any gunmakers even offer fixed chokes as an option any more.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Fixed chokes limit your effective pattern. "Good" quality choke tubes is the only way to go. IMHO Bill Malcolm

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

Get the right gun. Get one that fits, get a fixed choke that works for you. Keep it simple and turn your attention to the targets not on second guessing the equipment, if you do it right the first time. If you like to fiddle with the equipment then get all the options and unlimited adjustbility. It will probably drive you crazy. Most guys that think they need to adjust stuff, really just need to be a better shot. Practice with what you have, again and again. Spend your money on more ammo. Rant done.

9. Cush

Cush TS Member

Not to mention all the choke-tubed bbls I've seen bulged or blown apart over the years.

Beyond about 35 yards there is no constriction more open than Full that will give you a more optimal pattern than Full. Inside 35 yards I should be able to center the target up so that any choke works fine. When I can't center a target up I want to figure out what I'm doing wrong, not try to fix the problem by increasing the number of "fringe pellets" in my pattern.

C-tubes are great in some hunting guns but for pure target shooting, make mine fixed, M, IM or Full.

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Although my daily shooter is a gun with choke tubes, I have this observation...

I have four dedicated trap guns in my collection that have fixed full choke barrels.

These guns exhibit very nice tight and uniform patterns at 35, 45 and 55 yards. Needless to say I use them in the back line "games" like wipe your eye and Annie Oakley.

The fixed chokes in all three are very long and slowly tapered chokes. Not abrupt chokes as are typical in more modern choke tube guns.

The guns are... in order of age....

1920 Winchester Full Trap 12 gauge with 30 inch barrel

1932 Parker Single Barrel Trap

1994 Remington 90-T Single Barrel Trap (I have both low rib and HPAR High Rib guns)

Again, just an observation that fixed choked guns did and do perform well.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The chokes in all three barrels of my trap combo are fixed, by choice.

My 20b used for Skeet, Sporting and hunting have interchangeable chokes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

In my trap guns the chokes might as well be fixed but are not, they stay the same chokes, IM & Full. I will agree with zzt about the interchangeability for other shooting sports, I wouldn't have it any other way either. Messing with chokes will mess with your head. Along with making alot of adjustments. Sighting in a rifle and looking at shot pellet holes are two different things.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

But Spanky, weren't you able to try different choke tubes until you found the ones you leave in as though they were fixed chokes? I haven't changed mine since then, either.

Ed

14. Trap4

Trap4 Member

BustClays, you could of not said it any better, I agree with you 100% In trap I believe a Full Choke FIXED is the best for singles and Handicap. In Sporting clays For all the different presentations I will change chokes, and there Choke tubes are helpful..

Trap-4

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I strongly prefer fixed chokes to the point any gun I had that had tubes have been sold ... I don't like porting either and don't own a gun with porting, have in the past and sold them ... Adjustable ribs and combs are the best things that ever happened to shotguns, in my humble opinion ... Choke tubes and porting create mind games and excuses ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. shippankid

shippankid TS Member

I shoot a BT100 that is fixed full and I have another BT100 with choke tubes. I generally kill em with the fixed full and have issues shooting Annies from 35 to 40 yards when I use tubes. I agree with the fixed full choke barrel theory, no mind games with it. I am also a new shooter, at it only 9 months.

17. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i cant remember the last time trapshooting i had a desire to change chokes--but i've had enormous desires to change guns--i have a trapgun and a "games"money gun,or maybe several of each!!!! -- i like changing POI over choke restriction!!

how about asking the all-americans if they need to change , or do mfgers just make chokes available and they dont use it!??

has anyone said the famous quote from leo?
    "i dont care what choke you use-just as long as its full"

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would bet that there where more birds missed because you thought about the reason being the choke tube, than birds that would have been hit because of a different choke tube, 20 to 1.

19. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

About forty years ago one of our better local trap shooters bought a simple Browning BT-99 with a 34-inch barrel and a fixed Full choke.

After about 20 years of shooting, he sent it off and had a screw-in choke -- a Full -- installed on it. He did not get any other chokes, just the Full.

The screw-in Full choke has not been removed, even for cleaning or lubricating, in the subsequent 20 years.

The shooter says he doesn't see the big deal about screw-in chokes.

The screw-in Full choke shoots about like the fixed Full choke did.

He still shoots a 3-dram 1-1/8 ounce of # 7½ shot load for everything.

He doesn't shoot Doubles since the BT-99 is the only gun he owns.

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have found that my guns that are back-bored and have tubes, pattern better (higher percentage of shot in a 30" circle) than any of my fixed choked guns. They are also easier to clean. JMO

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt-99 fixed or interchangeable choke

fixed shotgun chokes

shotgun barrel opening fixed choke options