1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed chokes vs. choke tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trout6, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trout6

trout6 TS Member

Best patterns for 40 yd + shooting, is there a difference in performance??

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

From my testing, limited as it is from choke tubes, I doubt that anyone could point to a pattern and say whether it was shot from a fixed-choke or tubed gun. Or ten patterns either.

So far, my best (tightest - that's what you want from far back) patterns have been shot from fixed-choke guns. But I've not yet tested a full-choke, unmodified choke tube, and maybe in this box of stainless jewelry on my bench the tightest one ever is just waiting for me to try it.

The fine scores from the 27 shot by both kinds of shotguns makes it clear that either can be made to work just fine.

There's but a single exception I can think of. I don't think that the original(short) Invectors were tight enough, over the long run, for the back fence. Aside from that, I've seen too many tubes score very well to doubt them.

Neil

3. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Over the yrs ( and they are quiet a few ) I have had guns with both fixed and tubes, as far as pattern's i can see no difference, My choice is fixed, were talking strickly trap guns now, a fixed choke from .032 to .038 or somewhere in between, will more that get the job done, tubes are ok if you want the expense of the tubes, plus the extra maintance, just one less thing to think about when you go to the line. Good shooting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.