1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed chokes for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

I'm new to trap shooting and debating a different gun purchase. Can anyone tell me if there is a dissadvantage to owning an O/U with full and improved modified chokes over a gun with screw in chokes for shooting trap?

Thanks,

Joe

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Opinions will vary. Mine is that I prefer tubes

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There's no disadvantage I can see. With IM and Full you've got the two best chokes for everything from 16 yard to 27.

MK

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The disadvantage is you have one less thing to play with and one more to blame the misses on.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have screw in chokes. Unless I am shooting sporting clays, the only ones I use are full and improved modified. I find if I worry less about chokes and more about where I line the gun up before I pull the trigger, I break more targets. If you have a good deal going on a fixed choke trap gun that fits you, don't worry about the extras.

6. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

No disadvantage and it will help your mental game because you won't be wondering if you should change them.Jerry

7. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

If you was going to shoot just trap fixed chokes would be fine. I have a two barrel set of fixed chokes IM and Full that I use and love em. The only disadvantage would be is if you was going to shoot another sport sometime down the road. ( Skeet,sporting clays,ect.) It might be a advantage, it would give you another good reason to purchase a choke tube gun down the road.

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Still, after 38 years, using my TB 30" full fixed for all singles, sixteen to whatever yardage I wind up at. Just have to be a little "better" at sixteen to twenty. I have a fixed trap/mod for the same gun but seldom use it. Smoke is more fun.

9. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for all of the responses. I walked away from the computer for 30 minutes and had eight responses. This forum sure has been great for answering all of my newbie questions!

Thanks Again,

Joe

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Choke tubes in trap gun is just one more thing to worry about.

A well known master barrel tuner told me once, unless the barrels are custom tuned for specific choke tubes, fixed choke will pattern better.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

No choke tubes for me, porting either ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

My experience is that the older Remington and Browning fixed-choke barrels (in general) yield much better patterns for trap shooting than do choke tubes. I'm sure that other manufacturers had the same quality control back in the day. Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent tubes out there, but once you find the right fixed-choke shotgun, it's nice to not have to worry about tubes, not to mention choke-tube wrenches, and cleaning the tubes - that's a PITA usually.

LA in MA

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If I had my druthers, all my guns would be fixed chokes. I'm skeptical on the value of changing chokes. And, the gun is much easier to maintain without them.

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I find choke tubes in my single-barrel to be quite handy.
    I also find that tubes in my O/U's can be equally as handy.
    However, I highly recommend fixed chokes, and hope all my competitors shoot fixed-choke guns.

PS. How in the world does one "tune" a shotgun barrel??

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

code5,

"Tune" is a very loose term for a $1,100 job. But it'll get you very close to 90% pattern on paper.

I sold a gun not long ago that had been fine tuned by one of the most reputable barrel smith in this country, the most I can feel is softer shooting. I broke 100 with the gun before the tuning job, than I broke another 100 with it after, but, I dropped the 101th bird. So I really can't say that helped me or not.

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Fixed. Less to worry about and no two chokes ever shot the same. A choke never bought anyone a target they shouldn't have had and if you think it does your spraying and praying. Get the gun fitted to you and learn to shoot it and the rest will take care of itself. You can juggle patterns with your laods and once you learn your gun your shooting will improve faster.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

Brownk80

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I find if you address the target properly it doesn't matter what on or in the end of the barrel. Point and click....quit thinking.

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"How in the world does one "tune" a shotgun barrel??"

I do it by screwing in a comp n choke.

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I prefer fixed chokes. Leo had a comment on here last year saying any choke for singles is fine as long as it is a full choke. I believe misses frequently are in feet and chokes are in inches. I shoot sporting with .21 on bottom and .33 choke on top. I was watching the Zone sporting shoot this past weekend ( I was a referee) and I noted the master class shooters used tighter chokes ( one of them used full and full)).

Since trap is fixed yardage ( except handicap) , multiple chokes are not necessary, IMHO.

Charlie

20. nords

nords Member

If you are a fast shooter chocks are an advantage and if more then one of you use a gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best fixed choke for sporting clays

fixed choke trap load

fixed chokes trap

fixed full for trap

fixed skeet choke for trap

full choke for trap

shotgun chokes for trap

trap shooting with fixed full choke