1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIXED CHOKE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,
    I have an 1187 Premier Trap -30 " step rib-fixed full choke-Timney steel adj.trigger -Jack West stock-Morton shell catcher. I had hopes of using this gun for doubles -although my singles scores warrent more practice on ONE target at a a time-HOWEVER I had a gunsmith measure the bore /choke . The bore is .747-the choke .702 . Now I'm told it is just too tight a choke for doubles for the first target . I have missed several of the first birds & smoked the next . The barrel is 100% Remington factory . No work done to it .

Since I'm an old guy that has only been shooting Trap -and I love it -for about 11 months I need some input from the folks who know the game & know chokes . I shoot a 32" BT99PLUS for singles . I really don't want to put tubes in it & it is hard to find a step rib barrel so whats the thoughts of the " crowd in the know " ??

Thank you in advance for your time & help.
    SOUP

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would hate to see you ruin that barrel, so I would suggest that you find a replacement barrel with interchangeable chokes and use that for doubles. It would probably be a cost effective solution and less expensive than a different gun. It may cost just a little more than having the existing barrel modified for tubes. You could always sell the step rib barrel to cover the cost of a replacement barrel and maybe end up with a little change in return. I would do that ONLY if you have no intention of shooting the gun for anything else, and are satisfied with the barrel you would have obtained. In any event, the gun would probably be worth more with the original barrel, and with it, you could use it as a backup for the BT-99.

You could also experiment with loads that provide a more open pattern, but that is a lot of work and questionable as to the end result.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

hit- I do like a more open choke for my first bird but I like your full choke for the second bird. My advice is to forget about the choke for now. Just shoot and have fun. After you carry a 90+ average on 3,000 doubles, then you might think about a choke modification. A modification could pick up an extra bird in 400, but not much more than that.

I also have a problem with the first doubles bird. I miss more first birds than second birds. Tomorrow, at the Bluefield VA shoot, I am going to try to slow down just a bit and look hard at the first bird. I sometimes shoot it way too fast.

Pat Ireland

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Hit-

You should have no problems with that choke if you are "on" the first bird. I really don't think getting your barrel opened up is gonna change you scores a whole lot. Take a hair longer to be dead on that first bird, you've got plenty of choke for the second one.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

DON'T TOUCH THAT BARREL. It is fine. Old School, hard core, Trap by golly Full choke. Shoot it and have fun, as Pat said.

Put the gun on the first bird, and make it go away. Plenty of choke for second bird. Thought not required.

I have an older Trap Remmy, 41 point choke. Your 45 point crusher rules.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't think you have a barrel issue. Do you feel that you're rushing your first shot because you want to have time and distance work for your 2nd bird. I'm saying this because I feel I had this issue of wanting to jump on the 1st bird too quickly. I'm not sayiny to ride the bird out but, I hold a lower gun on the edge of the trap house to get a better view of the 1st bird. This may mean alittle more gun movement but not enough to keep you from getting the 2nd bird. I'm probably not explaning it correctly and I know I have plenty of things of my own to work on but, I feel that you have plenty of time to not rush your 1st shot and with a full choke have plenty of choke for your 2nd.

7. soup

soup Member

TTT

8. soup

soup Member

TTT

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Don't believe all of the fulls that offer advice here. Chokes with over 0.040 inches are "OVERCHOKED". Most people that know anything about the subject know 0.035 too 0.040 is all you will ever need for 27 yard targets. If you are going to shoot the auto for doubles only open it to 0.025

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.