1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed choke vs choke tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Will a choke tubed gun perform as well as a similarly fixed choke gun? Will the pattern with the tubes be as uniform as the fixed choke? Not by comparing apples to oranges but say a Mod vs a Mod, or a full vs a full. Lets talk about when fitted to a high quality gun (Perazzi, Ljutic, K gun, etc) by a well respected chokemaker (Wright, Briley, Wilkenson, etc).

Years ago when tubes were just emerging in the marketplace they were often thought to be deficient. Surely progress must have been nade in the last 35-40yrs. (???)

Thanks, Marc

2. Guy

Guy Member

Marc: Don't do too much thinking about this.....both work well with the right load....it's just that tubes are a pain in the butt.....making sure they are tight, cleaning.....it's just a pain.

Other than possibly sporting clays, more often than not, if you need a different choke, you probably need a different gun because you are playing a different game, and each game requires a different set-up and dynamics.

For a dedicated trap gun single barrel, just choke it .32 and forget about it....you can shoot from anywhere with that. For your doubles, players use anything from .15 to .25 for the first barrel, and .20 to .30 for the second shot.

The idea is to eliminate any variables.....stuff to think about....let it go....use that choke tube $ to get a stock that fits (and without any of that adjustable crap if possible)....that's just more stuff to go wrong or think about. The game is out there, flying thru the air, and that's what you should be thinking about.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to subscribe to the gun club porch belief that fixed chokes patterned better. But then I bought a tubed gun and discovered that I could experiment with different choke lengths, constrictions and profiles for no more than the cost of the tube and even some of that money could be recovered by selling any unwanted tubes. With a fixed choke, you're looking at a much more expensive modification that cannot be undone if you don't like it better.

Now, I wouldn't buy a new trap gun without tubes. Once I find the choke I like best, I treat it as if it is a fixed choke. I take it out perhaps twice a year to clean the threads.

Ed

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Some tubes are better than some fixed chokes; some aren't. The converse is also true. I'l post a test of tubes in a few days and you will see what I mean.

Neil

5. luvtrapguns

Neil, I look forward to it. Thanks

WGH, At all costs I want to avoid head games. I believe that too many variables allow a shooter to blame the set-up for poor scores more than himself. I also believe any compromise, as in usihg the same choke for 16 and HC(27) will cost a few birds.

My intention(s) are as follows: Fit the stock properly (an art unto itself); Find a tube and ammo that throws the best pattern suitable for 16yd only; Repeat tube ammo search for 27yd; Once a suitable combination is determined leave it alone (except predetermined choke change when going from 16 to 27yd); Shoot the gun and break targets; Make no changes just for the sake of change.

I have enough previous experience to know what I should be doing. After 30 years of no shooting it's just a lot more difficult doing it.

Ed, My thinking has closely followed yours. I recently had a TM-1 fitted with tubes by Stu Wright. I have yet to pattern on paper but gun seems to break targets well from both 16 and 27 with a simple tube change.

TO CHOKE TUBE MANUFACTURES. Please make tubes that do not have to be tightened, or at least checked, after every post. It is really a pain.

Thanks, Marc

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My perfect trap gun would be fixed ribbed and fixed choke combo.

I'd want the barrels tuned by Wilkinson. The O/U's would be choked at .018 and .028 respectfully while the single barrel would be choked at .035.

I'd use the the O/U's for doubles and singles (top barrel for singles) and the single barrel for 'caps targets only.

ss

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Marc, I use the same choke for 16 and 27 yards - a Wright's #8. Stu would prefer I use one of his #6 or #7 tubes for singles but I prefer not to have to remember to change them. I use a #5 and #7 for doubles.

I never have to tighten Stu's chokes and have never had trouble removing one - as I mentioned above, I don't touch them for months at a time.

Ed

8. luvtrapguns

SS, Years ago my guns of choice were: for 16 and doubles I would use a 32" Perazzi Mirage with IM & F factory chokes. From the 27 I would use my TM-1 (.040 factory choke). At that time I trusted no one in regard to messing with the factory barrels. Now 30yrs later I had the TM-1 fitted for choke tubes. So far I am impressed with the results.

Ed, Stu recommended a #5 for singles and a #7 for HC. I also ordered a #8. The #5 breaks singles just fine. The #7 & #8 I have not yet shot enough to form an opinion.

Marc

9. luvtrapguns

Carl, Yes just a nickname that I no longer use except I can not seem to get family away from it. I never liked my given name. Apparently my Mother and Father did not either as they called me SKIP. Skip came to be as I was always the little skipper when Dad took me fishing. Once I found out how easy it was to go through a name change I did.

Any ATA target ever shot was as SKIP until the 2010 year when I changed the ATA records to read MARC.

My Dad is now 98 and doing quite well. He remembers you and your Dad and said to say HI.

Marc (Skip)

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A single layer of Teflon tape on the choke threads. Won't come loose, and makes it easy to remove. Wayne

11. luvtrapguns

Wayne, Sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Marc

12. racer

racer TS Member

Choke tubes have come along way I'm told. Why just the other day I read about CG's putting out 19 and 20 inch patterns at 40 yards. :) Dan

13. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I had Wilkinson do 2 new fixed choke K-80 32" barrels for SC I had him do one gun Mod/mod and the other with his thin wall chokes. I put mod/mod in the thin walls and put both guns on paper and not a person that looked at the sheets could tell any difference.
    I shoot some courses that have tournaments that have an easy side and a hard side. I put the open chokes in for that reason only. I talked to Tom last month about putting thin walls in the fixed choke gun just for those 15 yard shots.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Think about this.... screw in choke tubes can be made of material that's harder than the barrel. This might become important if the day ever comes that lead shot is banned.

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

JLSO5, Wilkinson uses the same profile on his proprietary choke tubes as he uses on his fixed choked barrels. The only difference is the bore with the tubes must be .740". So it should not be a surprise they pattern well. Compare your Wilkinson fixed chokes to Briley removable chokes and see if you feel the same way.

16. luvtrapguns

short shucker

You seem to agree that different chokes are preferred when gong from singles to HC. If a person only had one SBT gun to shoot both with, do screw in chokes make sense? To me they do. The question is: Will screw ins perform as well as fixed? Thanks, Marc

17. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

ZZt, the bore in all 4 barrels is .737 and the wt. in both is 1590 grams. I still have the unfired barrels with ti chokes and the feel of the gun is entirely different with that 3 or 4oz. off the end of the barrel.
    I shot brileys thin wall in my K-80 skeet gun and Brileys ti chokes in my SO5 and seminoles in another SO5. Tom's are hands down better in fit and performance. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what choke should i use in my perazzi m15

choked barrel versus choke tubes

fixed choke or tubes

fixed choke shotgun better then screw in tubes

fixed choke vs choke tube

fixed or choke tubes

shooting a fixed choke shotgun

wilkinson vs briley