1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed choke question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sure, done all the time to avoid choke tubes.

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes Steve, it can and has been done for a long time. There are a couple of side affects you should be aware of.

Of course the barrel will become lighter. This may or may not be a concern to you. I have had guns that doing this procedure it changed the feel/balance of and they became "whippy". I didn't care for the gun after having the barrel work done. I have also had barrels that were to heavy and had this procedure done to make them more responsive.

After it's done the poi MAY change. A good barrel smith can regulate the pattern back to where you want it. It's important to do before and after patterns.

Ajax

3. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Diamond Hone Backboring

Several years ago we sat down with some engineers and told them what kind of tolerances we wanted to maintain while backboring shotgun barrels. Through a joint effort, we came up with our 'Diamond Hone'. We are able to maintain tolerances that we have not seen anywhere else in the industry. We are able to achieve these tolerances by using opposing stones, rather than the conventional 3" stone and shoe, or worse yet a reamer. The advantages to a backbored barrel are reduced recoil, more efficient choke, improved patterns and a faster swinging gun. Backboring a barrel can also restore choke that has been removed.

From Wright's website, attached.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.