1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fixed choke or choke tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pokenhope, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokenhope

pokenhope TS Member

I'm thinking of moving up to a P gun and need some advice. I only shoot a few
    registered shoots of sporting clays a year and the rest of my time I'm shooting at local clubs doing 5 stand, skeet, and trap. I'm not a serious shooter, but a recreational one. I see you can get barrels that are fixed, such as mod and full, or any combination with an order, or probably more popular, an assortment of choke tubes. I've seen few shooters spend a great deal of time trying to decide which choke tube to install before shooting and it seems as that adds to the confusion. Wouldn't a fix choke barrel eliminate all that confusion and let me concentrate on the clay? Also, I heard that fixed choke barrels always pattern better as the choke starts mid way down the barrel and is a more gradual taper than a choke tube out near the muzzle end. Your thoughts on which way to go are greatly appreciated! Thanks, J.Macko

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Given the sheer assortment of games that you like to shoot, I would tend to want chokes. I know some shooters are anal about their chokes, but if you don't go crazy it does give you more flexibility. As Trap Dbls uses Mod and Full while SC might need IC and Mod and Skeet is totally open Cyl or Skeet choking. Since you are going from totally open to full, I think chokes are better to have.

3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Strange how the Universe provides answers. Just yesterday I was lamenting the effort to haul a different guns to the club because I wasn't sure exactly what games we'd be shooting. I took my 1100 with three barrels (F, M, SK), and my BT99 (F). My wife, on the other hand, was perfectly fine with one Citori with flush choke tubes - for any game.

We shoot because its fun and not to compete. I suppose the stories about superior fixed chokes have some merit, but the differences seem almost moot to us.

I'm going to Sparta next week (11th to 13th)and I'll have a few guns that I'm hoping to trade with for one O/U with choke tubes. I might get lucky. Yes, I understand that the 1100 would fill my needs - but the bending over routine is something I want to avoid.

Larry

4. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

I shoot all the disciplines with one gun, I had Wilkinson put screw chokes in MX-10 and I couldn't be happier. This allows me to put the appropiate choke i n the gun when needed. They pattern as well as any fixed choke gun I own, besides the sad truth is, it doesn't matter choke or load, if you don't do your part it really doesn't matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.