1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fixed choke /choke tubes which?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Here is a questions. It there any advantage of a fixed choke over choke tube or visa versa.

What brought this to mind is the old BT 99 I had in the late 70's early 80's had a fixed 32" IM choke. My brother in law had a M 12 with a fixed full. We patterned these on paper at 40yds and each were in the 75-80% range. I am sure we were not very scientific about it. but for us they were equal. Did not have a mic but a dime would stop about the same distance from the end in each barrel (I told you not very scientific) So why not find a fixed choke gun and just shoot it? Seems like life would be a lot simpler with out all the options of adjustable this and that. That said I do think a gun needs to be fitted to you to get the best out of it and you too. So what do you think fixed or tubes?
    thanks mike t

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Browning changed their choke designations when they made the Invector Choke tubes. Their present choke markings are based on the resulting pattern percentage at 40 yards instead of constriction like everyone else in the industry. The Browning Fixed choke IM was actually a Light Full and todays IM choke tube is more like a Modified. IMHO Improved Modified is fine for Singles and Full is for Handicap. Many of the top dawg shooters use fixed Full choke barrels.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The primary consideration is that the gun shoots straight with the choke constriction that gives the best pattern. HMB

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Anything there is in a fixed choke barrel can be duplicated with choke tubes. Jeff

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

To me having choke tubes is just one more thing to think about other than focus on the bird and see it go away. That said my KS-5 Special did come equipped with choke tubes and once pleased with one tube over the others, I've not had it out except to clean and lube. My O/U has two O/U barrel sets and one is equipped with chokes tubes when I thought they would be handy for skeet and sporting events shot socially. It turns out I almost never change from IC/IC on that barrel set either. So, I'd have to say, if starting over, I'd prefer fixed chokes and would perhaps have them custom tuned to my wants were I a lot younger and more competitive and fit....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt-99 invector choke vs fixed choke

browning bt-99 with fixed im choke

browning bt99 fixed choke constrictions

fixed choke bt-99