1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed choke barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YOTESLAYER, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Does anyone know how long a "choke" is in a fixed choke barrel? Im assuming here, but a fixed choke barrel has a much longer choking system then a changeable choke gun right? Thanks!

Ryan

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

not necessarily

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

Ryan,

My Perazzi MX8/20 with 28 gauge barrels have .016 choke in each barrel and the chokes have almost 6 inches of taper measured with a bore micrometer.

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ok I have an old clunker of a gun with a fixed full barrel that patterns just as good if not better then anything ive patterned. Im just wondering if this is the reason. How do you know it is that long? Specs? can you see the tapper like a forcing cone? I cannot see the "choke" in the fixed barrel I have. Thanks

5. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

Use a bore mic. it will tell you what u need to know mine is 18" long.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

YOTESLAYER-- You can tell "measure" fairly close by pushing a 1 pc. wad up the bbl. Just push it until you feel resistance then measure with a tape or ruler--or when the wad "stops" put a pencil down into the shotcup mark the pencil at the muzzle and then measure that distance. Maybe not accurate to the 1\1000 of an inch but probably close enough for gov. work. Most of the ones I've checked this way have about 2&1\2 or 3" right at the muzzle. This is only for bbls that are std bore, over bored ie 740--750 etc. may let the wad go all the way through w\o any noticeable resistance. Ross Puls

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ok great idea!! Thanks!

Ryan

8. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Whats your gun illtrap?

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

YES---UNLOADERS bore gauges are definitely much more accurate and they will also tell you if the choke has a parallel section and degree of choke constriction reguardless of bore size. My suggestion was just a rough quick method to see where the choke starts. Ross Puls

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

most fixed choke guns have a long taper b4 the parallel section of the choke. My p gun has a 6" taper with a little less than 1" parallel.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The length of the choke can usually be determined by the restriction in the choke end of the barrel in question, you can tell which end it is because it will be smaller than the end that don't have the choke in it ... I think I read that in one of the old trapshooting books I had around here someplace until I threw them out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

As far as I can tell the taper stops or levels out one inch from the end of the barrel. It Starts about 8 inches from the muzzle. I wasnt looking for precision just a general idea. Thanks everyone for your tips!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you bore out a fixed choke barrel

easy measurement fixed choke
how long is a fixed choke
how long is the taper of a fixed full choke shotgun barrel
how to bore out a fixed choke shotgun barrel