1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed Choke Barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WJN, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJN

WJN TS Member

I don't know if this is a complicated question or not. Can a barrel with a fixed choke be machined to accept a choke system? If it is possible how involved and expensive would it be? For instance - could a fixed Beretta barrel be machined to accept mobile chokes or some other choke system?

Thanks!

Jim

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yes, with conditions. It depends on how thick the barrrel walls are. Berettas are usually pretty thin. Check out Briley and look at their thin wall series. I've seen them in several guns and they work well. Another benefit is they do not make the barrels as muzzle heavy as other choke systems.

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

As already noted, some fixed-choke barrels can be converted to screw-in chokes.

You should figure the cost difference between trading the fixed-choke gun in on a gun which already has screw-in chokes. The trade may be cheaper.

Also, ask yourself what is the real advantage to having changeable chokes.

If it is strictly a trap gun and has at least one Full choke barrel, there may be nothing to gain with changeable chokes.

Perazzi still produces a lot of fixed-choked trap guns.

There are several top-ranked trap shooters who haven't changed chokes in twenty years.

Think about half my trap guns have changeable screw-in chokes and about half of them are fixed-choke.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Briley does great work.

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Fixed chokes on my Perazzi O/U barrels, and I have an Unsingle with a Briley thin wall system. I never change the thin wall out, only use the Light Full. Next gun my have only fixed chokes.

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Mike Orlen did my 870 barrel. He is quick and affordable.

michael.orlen@verizon.net

(413) 256-1630

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The problem in my opinion, with these older guns with fixed chokes is they are becoming choked tubed barrels. The fixed choke is in my opinion a thing of the past because of marketing. Ask yourself which barrel has shot more 100 straights in the past, tubed or fixed? Choke tubes are not the reason for a lost, or dead bird. Would it be the difference between a 99, and a 100. That's debatable, both ways.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to subscribe to the old belief that fixed chokes were better. But I often noticed that guys on my squads with choke tubes were hammering the targets just as hard. Then I bought my first trap gun with tubes and realized something very important.

If you think you might get better results with a different fixed choke constriction or profile, it costs money to have a barrel rechoked. And if you find your hunch was not correct, you might be stuck with the new choke or at least be faced with costly machine work to get back to as close to the original choke as possible. And that might not be very close.

With choke tubes, you can experiment with more or less constriction, more or less parallel and different lengths of choke for no more than the cost of the tubes. Any change is easily reversed and you might even be able to sell any new tubes you don't care for.

To me, choke tubes are a no-brainer!

Ed

9. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Briley informed me a couple of weeks ago they are VERY much behind in their gunwork.I have been told by other shooters that the "time span" is up to a couple of MONTHS!!!~!! Stu Wright Does (in My Opinion) a much better job installing "Thinwall" choke tubes than Briley!and in a faster turnaround time. JMO joe90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k32 mike orlen choke

mike orlen k32 barrel