1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fixed choke barrels vs. choke tube barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    years ago when the short choke tubes first came out, I felt a fixed choke barrel patterned better than a choke tube barrel. now that choke tubes are longer, how does a current choke tube barrel pattern compared to a fixed choke barrel?
    steve balistreri

2. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

So I guess since Beretta, Kolar, Krieghoff, Silver Seitz, Perazzi, Caesar Guerini, Kemen, and Ljutic are offered with choke tubes you don't consider them "high end guns"?

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Steve, years ago you were right. However, many barrel smiths and manufacturers seem to be able to make short tubes pattern beautifully. My last gun was a Perazzi that Tom Wilkinson worked on and modified three of the original Perazzi short (2") tubes. They patterned beautifully. Take a look at the standard Krieghoff tubes. They are short and pattern well.

Now take a look at some of the longish tubes by Beretta and Browning. They are long, but are inconsistent. Some of them are downright garbage.

I personally think the quality of patterns has more to do with the combination of forcing cone, barrel diameter and choke tube. Tubes are just one aspect of pattern quality.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is easier to keep the POI consistent among short choke tubes than among long choke tubes.

Pat Ireland

5. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have shot both - for sporting clays - or maybe field use - choke tubes may have something to offer. I think the custom tubes from Clearview and others shoot just as well as fixed - However - for trap, where the distance targets are shot remains somewhat within a range - I think fixed chokes are better - for the simple fact that it removes a possible varible from the thought process ---ie - now what choke do I need today? --- with fixed chokes you learn to shoot what you have and right in he middle of a good string of h'caps you don't have to wonder - "now, did I remember to change chokes for h'cap today" --- usually that thought is followed by "lost".

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Tubes allow you to change for differant shells distance ect ect. With a fixed choke you are stuck with what you get. If It was cost effective I would have my barrels dublicated as I have them set up now for trap. Since I only have one gun, tubes allow me tp play all the sports.

7. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

ZZT,

How do you tell a good choke tube from a bad one? Is patterning the only way or are there other physical features clearly distinguishable?

Thanks,

Mike

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, I check for two things. I put each tube in the same barrel and shoot for POI. I discard any that do not shoot to the same POI. Then I pattern for PE and evenness. Any choke that doesn't meet my expectations gets tossed.

For example, when I bought my Beretta combo I did just what I said above. I found that 4 of the 6 tubes provided shot to widely different POIs. One F and one IM were close enough to keep. The F threw beautiful patterns. The IM was not as nice. I ordered an IM and a LF from Briley. Both shot to the same POI and patterned nicely, so I used those two and the Beretta F until I sold the gun.

9. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I shot Seminole chokes and after thousand and thousand of rounds have never had to clean my chokes, they just don't crud up. Fast Frank

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

So zzt, you shot and checked about 80 patterns to make those choke conclusions about the Beretta? What is "close enough?"

self cleaning Seminole chokes?

11. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I always used the same chokes no matter what. It was always either a IM or a full. My IM worked good from 16 to 27, so I only used full on the really windy days from 27. Now that I have a fixed choke gun, it is light full. Works great from 16 to 27. Steve

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

jerryp, within 1/2" each way, vertical and horizontal at 20 yards is close enough for me. BTW, it took the better part of an afternoon on the bench ande three boxes of shells just to be sure where they were hitting. It took another box of shells to pattern the two good ones, plus more for the Brileys later.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

zzt, you aint kidding. took me for ever and a case or so of ammo to weed out the 7 chokes that came with my gun Settled in at briley spectrum IM under. factory invpls F on top. looks goofy with only one extended choke but I been spending all my xtra$$ on shells and events.

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

thanks for all the input to my original question. on paper it would make sense to use an open choke on 16 yard, and a tighter choke on long yardage handicap. problem i have, is for every missed target i have, i start thinking, maybe i have the wrong choke in the gun, and would start changing them. same thing for adjustable stocks. if you are the type of person, who will stick with a certain choke on 16 yard, and a certain choke on handicap, it makes sense to use choke tubes. but if you constantly change chokes, thinking maybe a different choke will be better, or constantly adjust your adjustable stock, i feel your creating more problems and lower scores. i have decided to do the following- i will cement a choke tube in my barrel that i like for 16 yd and handicap, i'm on 20 yards, i will cement my adjustable stock so i never touch it. i own an 870 tb, and i only have 16 payments to go, before it's paid off. it's mine, and i can do what i want with it. (just kidding) thanks for your opinions.
    steve balistreri

15. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I am curious about the Siminole Choke asertion. I have several Siminole chokes for my Browning Gold and they seem to crude up like the others.

16. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Thank you for the insight zzt!

Mike

17. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

The only self cleaning tube is one you clean yourself.

No, I have not tried to make a gun barrel. Nor have I tried to make a pair of shoes. But I know if they are comfortable and whether they fit. And it is nice to have a choice.

Bottom line: If you know how to use a tube to your advantage, use it. If you can't, or can't remember if you put the right tube in the gun, don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choked barrel versus choke tubes

fixed choke barrel

fixed choke indicator on barrel of shotgun

fixed choke shotgun barrels

how to check what choke a fixed choke barrel is

what is fixed choke barrel