1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix the Big Packs at Daytona and Talledega

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Cajun Blaster, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cajun Blaster

Cajun Blaster Member

Well, after the big wreck and 28 (so far) fans injured when the fence failed to hold the car parts inside the track, maybe NASCAR will do something about the big packs at these two tracks. It's never the first hit. It's the third or fourth hit that sends the cars airborn. I say remove the restrictor plate. They will have to slow down for the corners. They may be doing 230 down the straight aways, but they will have to slow down to make the corners. At that point, handling will separate the cars. Cars farther apart, fewer wecks! What do you think???

Davin (NM)

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Stock cars were best to watch. The cars were different enough to keep them out of the packs. The cookie cutter cars are much less fun.

Indy has the same problem with the selection of only 2 engines and the same frame on them all.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The Frantz(sp) clan wants big wrecks. but do the fans???? The empty seats seem to answer that question. slowdp has it pretty well pegged. Ross Puls

4. 548

548 Guest

The problem (if there is one) is not with the racing, in my opinion, it is with a safety barrier designed to prevent intrusion failing to prevent intrusion. Sometimes it's just that simple.

5. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

No restrictor plates = fewer big wrecks! You nailed it. Racing was much more fun to watch before the days of restrictor plates racing. The real drivers could seperate themselves from the rest of the hacks and get some racing done. Nowadays it comes down to who can survive the race, wins.
    Scott

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Dale E always said do away with the plates and put them back on Bias tires and let the drivers figure it out.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lets face it, Dale E was a Legend no doubt but didn't always make the best or most wise decisions or he'd still be racing. He didn't like the Hans either. You can't have drivers dying weekly.

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

We all live life taking chances. That's why we are a free society. Look at those Russians, going about their daily lives and get hit by space debris from a meteor.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Keselowski.

Bob Falfa

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Just another nail in the coffin. If the seats hadn't been mostly empty it would have killed several.

When you run a "show" there is always a new rule to make the "show" better. Nascar need look no farther than WWF for some good ideas.

Now we have Ray Lewis the murderer as the honorary starter......what a joke. Think I will go shoot a little today.

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

When you go to any sort of racing event as a spectator you assume some risk. My father tells the horror story of one of his Army buddys who was at LeMans when a car went into the crowd back in the 50's.

I believe a lot of effort has gone into making the car so safe that now the drivers feel there is little danger or consequence in making a foolish move, like the block that caused yesterdays last lap crash. The fence there at the track looks like the same one since the early 1980's.

All the drivers walked away from that crash, the fans were not so lucky.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I wonder how long before the starter stand gets taken out. Seeing all of these races seem to be green/white checkered flag, major crash endings, I would think not long. Like has been mentioned, the drivers all walked away seemingly, with maybe a couple of bruises. Hey, that's racing.

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I was sitting in the lower deck of the Roberts Section. I had a dinner date in Orlando and left with 20 laps to go to avoid the traffic jam. The flying debris hit about 50 feet from where I was sitting. There isn't a whole lot you can do about this. It was caused by a "block" and you would have had the block even without restrictor plates. Earnhardt was notorius for that. They go 200 mph as it is. The only advantage of removing the restrictor plate would be a sudden burst of horsepower. I don't believe that will be an advantage. We'll see if they drive alittle safer today. I'm sitting in the same seat.

blade819

14. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rick has it nailed. LOL. I'm sure Janet II or Czar Holder will take a peek at this. Congressional hearings, cover ups, lies, prostitutes, pay offs, it's all in the making.

Unfortunately, that was a bad accident, and I hope those fans are OK. One was in surgery last night. But you take a certain amount of risk when you go to the track. NASCAR has spent alot in R+D in safety, for the drivers, but if you put up more barriers for the fans, they wouldn't be able to see much.

I think getting rid of the restrictor plate is best. I watch most all of the races, if I'm home, and those big packs at 195MPH + are just an accident waiting to happen. You watch the whole race waitng for the big one, instead of watching the racing. Really, the race is in the pits anymore.

15. burtona

burtona Member

I have a remedy.
    1. Remove restrictor plates.
    2. Remove spoilers.
    3. Raise the cars off the ground by 4 inches so they get air under them.

Let them go as fast as they can with this configuration. I'll bet there would be more passing and no big packs with these changes (and better racing too!)

16. thunder

thunder Active Member

NASCAR does a good job, this is an unfortunate incident. Our prayers for them that was injured. News media all over this.

17. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

The problem with NASCAR is that they haven't had enough races like yesterday's race. That was one of the best Nationwide races I've ever seen. If they had more races like that, they'd sell out every week. I'm sorry people got hurt but you assume the risk when you sit close to the racetrack. Don't bitch about it after the fact, they knew the risk ahead of time........

18. 548

548 Guest

I've been to NASCAR races in Texas and Kansas. I just read the back of my tickets which state the following: The holder of this ticket expressly assumes all risk incident to the event, whether occurring prior to, during, or subsequent to the actual event and agrees that all participants, sanctioning bodies, and all employees, agents, officers, and directors of Kansas Speedway Corporation, it's affiliates and subsidiaries are hereby released from any and all claims arising from the event, including claims of negligence.

Personally, I think consumers have a reasonable expectation of safety without the fear of car parts flying into the bleachers. An assertion that patrons accept that risk is absurd.

In the coming days you will see that those printed words on the back of the ticket are of little value in releasing the speedway of civil culpability.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

This thread doesn't surprise me at all. Just like every other event there is someone who wants it changed to fit their personal likes. LOL Go figure!!

20. 100straight

100straight Member

As usual 548 has his head in a dark smelly place.

I actually raced stock cars for many years. Cars can do many things that can and will send parts flying into the stands with no fault or control by the driver or managers of a speedway. Consumers have NO reasonable expectation of safety at a car racing event. Any assertion that patrons should expect or accept NO personal risk is absurd.

Option? No live audience and air it on TV only. That's the ONLY way there can be an expectation of no harm coming to the viewer. Oh, and we better use robotic cameras so no camera operators get hurt.

Unfortunately 548 is probably correct about one thing. The liberal court system will likely award these idiots money, which is one more step in the downfall of our nation and one step closer to the impending civil war. Any money awarded to a spectator is money out of some other spectator's pocket, either through increased gate fees or higher charges to air the races on tv. People are getting tired of paying for idiots' mistakes.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.