1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Five Stand Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skip, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Club is setting up a Five Stand range.

Any suggestions on machines to use. They do not have to oscillate, fixed position only.

Atlas machines have been suggested but not familiar with them.

Some have to be 12 volt DC

Wireless would be good on a few.

Which brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Look at Promatic. They have a machine for just about every situation and all of them can run on 12 volts or normal 110 vac.

Jim

3. nut

nut Member

I would suggest chucker traps made by Ray Torresdal rltco.com he is a small business who stands behind his throwers.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Outside of machines, if possible, set the machines so you can move them from time to time. Will make a big difference in the long run if you can move the machines, even if only a handful.

5. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I to recomend ProMatic. I own 11 of there machines and have had very few problems. They are good people to work with and will set you up right. They even offer 5-stand pahage deals with machines and controllers. 888-767-6786 Mark Mauch

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

We have a 5 stand at our club. 3 of us volunteer and set up a new layout every week. We bought used Bowman traps, and 2 new Promatics. I would go Promatic. There light, safe, competitively priced. Make sure you get their carts. Moving the machines easily is important. They offer a Shondel/Teal, rabbits, you name it. I bought on for myelf as well.

7. skip

skip Member

Thanks for the info so far guy's.

Is anyone familiar with the Atlas machines?

As suggested the Promatic machines look good, we need to purchase five to begin with. We have three or four others to use.

Is there an organization for the Five Stand Sport similar to the ATA for trap?

Thanks for the help so far.

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

We have 1 Atlas that belongs to a member. It is not very reliable. The NSCA (National Sporting Clays Asso.) would be my best guess.

9. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Stay away from wireless, hardwire your releases. Been thar.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Promatic.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

skip:

Check your private messages.

sissy

12. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I second the "make it portable" idea. Shifting the machines can add a great deal more interest to a set up. You will get bored quick with the same target set.

That means mounting the machines on wheels. Now be sure that the wheels are protected from stray shotgun pellets. Don't ask me how I know that! You can't fix a tire with 50 holes in it! Old Pallets with scrap plywood, hay bales, dense brush piles work great.

One of the best 5 stands I've shot was craved out of the south Texas brush. You could not see any of the machines...targets just appeared, rabbits were running through holes in the brush..it was neat set of targets and tough to shoot. But I thought I had it figured out by the end of the day. Wrong! They re-set the machines the next morning and it was whole new ball game. You are gonna either love 5 stand or really hate it.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Whatever you do,keep at least 50-60% machines movable. Our club has permenantly fixed Machines/houses. So the layout never changes. Yes the angles & elevations change so there is a BIT of variety,but basicly same target coming from the same place,going to the same place. Makes for easier open/close & security but a real trade off

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I agree with the portable machines. I recommend wired also. Most can be wired and use extension cords and just leave then laying on the ground. Even just changing the way the doubles are thrown makes a big difference. Here is another game. Only allow one shot on the singles and not two shells in the gun. Shoot singles and see what the score is. It's harder then they think. Overhead shots and ones that come from under where the shooter stands also make good shots. Some clubs have a trap set on an elevated tower that can be raised and lowered up to about 20 feet. Usually from behind or the right or left side. also a tough target. Enjoy but make sure to change the pattern ofter so the shooters don't get bored. Even just moving the trap a few inches to either side changes the pattern. motordoc

15. skip

skip Member

Thanks for the information guy's.

Great ideas that should save us some time and aggravation.

Lots of interested guy's at the club looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks again everyone.

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Skip, we had an electrician make a switch box with 6 toggle switches, 1 for each trap. The switch box has 6 receptacles too, 1 for each toggle switch. We put 110 plugs on all the traps, and merely plug them into which ever toggle switch we want. Each of the toggles is numbered, 1 through 6. We also made some stainless steel sign plates with numbers 1-6 on them and we place those in front of each trap in our sequence. We can tell a shooter he has for example a "report pair from #3 and #4" and he can tell which trap their coming from by the numbers placed in front. Makes it simple.

17. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

On our 5 Stand we have 7 or 8 (depending upon the set up) Lincoln machines with Long Range wireless on each machine. All the machines have carts with wheels target covers and marine batteries. Overall, We have had very few problems with any of the machines, wheels, batteries etc....

We have extra batteries that we keep charged so we can rotate them every two weeks or so.

The wireless and wheels make it very easy to change the set up. We don't have to move or replace wires. The carts of a battery tray so the batteries stay on the machines (even while you're moving them) and the controller is a small rechargable hand held unit that is also programable & very easy to use. You can also use the controller to count the targets thrown on your 5 stand.

Good Luck!
    Tom

18. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

We have 2 Infinities, an Atlas 250 and and 6 Autosporters on wheeled carts run by a Longrange Wireless system.

The Autosporters are flawless. They never miss unless there are no birds in the stack. The Infinities are choosy about targets and the Atlas just throws targets. It is clunky, but works well. You have to be careful not to bend the throwing arm, but for the price, it works well and Scott at Atlas couldn't be better. For the money, it's a good value.

The Longrange is marvelous. It will throw from well over a hundred yards.

We keep ours in 4x4 huts and move them around wherever we want. You can even make a platform, put a 5/8" axle and wheels and put a 2 inch steel bar with a trailer hitch on it and tow them anywhere you want with an ATV, a golf cart, or a vehicle.
    Make sure you put solid wheels on your carts. That way, you don't have to keep pumping up soft tires.

I have a slightly sloping roof to drain the water and a 5 watt solar panel on each unit. They keep the batteries pretty well topped up in the summer weather.

I also bought a load metre that gives me voltage under load and when it drops below 11.5 volts, I put the charger on it. That doesn't happen often though.

The Longrange system saves me 45 minutes set up time and 20 minutes close up time. It is really a good stsrem. They have a new one coming out that will control 32 machines on one field. The old system controls 8 machines on 4 different fields. You need to decide on the machines before you buy the wireless as they install the appropriate plug on each receiver.

Although I have the preprogrammed release as well as the portable one, you really only need the portable one.It runs all day on a nicad battery, but needs to be plugged in when not in use as it is always on.

19. lumpys600

lumpys600 Member

This last April at Van Dyne gun club installed a 5 stand. After many months of going though every machine possible and a few demos on site. We went with lincoln. We also went with wireless and solar battery chargers.It has been fawless.Feel free to contact me or going to vdsc@org with any question.

20. skip

skip Member

Making progress.

Looking at several Promatic Harriers and one Ranger Chondel.

Great suggestions from everyone.

Could anyone suggest a wireless manufacturer for a five machine setup.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

promatic 5 stand controller

torresdall trap