1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Will soon have a shotgun fitted to me. Would appreciate an education as to how it is done and what measurements are taken. Illustrations would be especially helpful. Thanks. Chichay

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Measurements don't mean a thing:

A shotgun is a dynamic thing between your body & the gun.

You should have a person with a try stock, see how comfortable it feels & if you sight down the barrel correctly.

Next shoot a few rds thru the gun with the try stock & see if you feel any discomfort. Adjust the stock until all discomfort is gone.

Then go the range set the machine straight away & see how you hit targets. Adjustments are then made until you get smoke.

Then put the machine on oscillate & see how the gun reacts when you swing to either side.

This is how I can remember the fitting sessions I had.

If you don't have a custom stock made--take measurements & you'll have a reference or buy a PFS

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The only documentation I've seen on the subject, besides Rollin's book, is noted above.

I've read Rollin's book which is quite good.

Also, I've fitted my own stock after having Dennis fit one and there's a lot to it. Stock fitters earn their keep.

The process is hugely complicated and depends on so many different things I couldn't begin to give you a decent summary. I don't believe Rollin's book covers the process itself; it's more of a 'stock dimensions and how they're related' study which is more than anything else I've found in a book.

When you go to a fitter he may not try to change your shooting style. Are you an upright shooter or do you conform to the gun that you have and want to stay that way? Are you interested in becoming an upright shooter with corrections to your form, etc.

One goal is to get your shooting eye over that rib perfectly, assuming your gun shoots straight. Point of impact is something Dennis can check. A functional grip, correct length of pull, butt pad position to avoid cant are also on the list. Pitch is very important as well in order to keep the gun from bumping you in the face.

The natural next step to having a stock fitted is a clinic on shooting skills which you can also get from Dennis. Why not get it all from one guy? If you want an education on the subject Dennis is the fitter to get.

There are surely other excellent stock fitters out there, but I have no experience with them so I can't comment. I will say that a self fitting gives you the time to work those fractions of an inch at the comb. The best fitting gun I have is my 3200 that started with a straight stock, added bondo, removed some wood with a file and wow, the thing shoulders like a dream. Unfortunately I've been bitten by the cross fire bug, so I've had to deal with that myself which is another big topic.

Here's a picture that shows a gun that had too much pitch (9 degrees) for the shooter who added a spacer and got just the right change off of 90 degrees (5 degrees) to suit his cheek. You see, it's all in the final results at the shooting line. I would guess most shooters with pitch problems have the inverse issue, not enough pitch.

[​IMG]

Joe

4. joe kuhn

Look around Dennis' website. Here's another link for you with some excellent info.

5. joe kuhn

Here's some early work I did on my 3200 grip. Note the finger grooves and the vertical slot for finger tips after the fingers wrap around the grip.

[​IMG]

Here's the other side. The thing that looks like a nose keeps the gun from slipping down. My stuff is unconventional, but I'm not shooting to win a popularity contest. I think you'll find Dennis willing to help you in whatever your goals are.

[​IMG]

Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.