1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting session at Kolar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Border Bandit, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I bought a Kolar Max TA from Dave Wolk at Shotgun Specialties while at the Cardinal, and decided to take Kolar up on their offer to have a gun fitting at the Racine facility. Have any of you guys done this, with any experiences or advice to share or pass along? I really don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance .....mike

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How about a real description of a fitting session at Kolar, how long does it take, do you go to the range, how many times is the gun tweaked till it is just right.

Lou

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mike,

I know a couple of shooters that have been fitted by the good folks at Kolar. It was an all day affair spent fitting and shooting till everything was just so. When they are done, you'll know how the stock is going to fit and what it will look like, minus the checkering of course. They have some nice blanks, and you can spend a dollar or two upgrading wood. They all said it was a good experience and they would do it again.

ec90t

4. Border Bandit

Thanks, everyone, I'm getting the warm & fuzzies already. It looks like a 12hr & ~700mi drive from the Gettysburg area; but turning the corner and doing Chicago has me a little spooked. My appointment is for 9AM on Sept. 9th, with the Westy Hogans and our club championship shoot in between, and it's crunch time so far as getting everything sorted out.

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Mike,

I went to Racine back in July. My drive was about the same as yours. I arrived at 8 AM, tied my golden retriever to the tree out front next to president John Ramagli's white Escalade, and went inside to be greeted with coffee. We did a preliminary gun fit, made a plan to alter the stock (significantly), moved to the shop where Mark proceeded to "butcher" the stock. (OK - that's a stretch, but I have to admit it had my attention to watch Mark remove all that material from that piece of wood). We probably were back and forth to the pattern board 9 or 10 times at least. They even allowed me to shoot my Browning doubles gun in their facility to show them what I was looking for with the Kolar O/U. When complete, the gun fit, it shot where I looked and I was pleased. Mark put a temporary finish on the gun and put it on a plane the next day so I could shoot it at the PA Grand. These people are unbelievable. I pulled out of their parking lot at 1:25 PM. Feel free to e-mail me.

Jon Reitz

6. Border Bandit

Thanks Jon; hopefully your golden didn't pee on Mr. Ramagli's tyres. (grin)

7. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I would just fly into Chicago and drive an hour from Ohare. I have not gone through a fitting but have been to Kolar, its a pretty cool place. I am thinking about buying a Kolar and even though I live an hour and a half away am not sure I would do a custom stock. With the 6 right and left stocks you can get damn close to the stock you need with out doing anything. You can add some cast off, butt pad etc to get it 100%. I have to decided which way I want to go.

8. robtranter

robtranter TS Member

Better off flying into Milwaukee. If you are flying out of Philly to Milwaukee on Midwest Airlines is around $350 and the drive to Racine is pretty short.

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Mike

Sent you a Private Message

Joe

10. hpesoj54

hpesoj54 TS Member

Went through a fitting session with Jeff Mainland. Was treated very well. I arrived at 8 AM. and was finished at around 2 PM. Everything went well and I am very happy with my Kolar.

Joseph

11. il shooter

il shooter Member

was there a cost to the gun fitting

12. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Excellent experience, get rested up, Mr. Mainland does a good job. Pack a lunch.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.