1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting Beretta barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BBman, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBman

BBman Member

Is this something a guy can do himself? Have a 682 barrel for my 680 receiver. Barrel fits snug to the receiver but the barrel lug looks like it needs to be shaved a little as it won't let the forearm to lock on.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have done it- so probably- just take a little bit off the back of the lug if that is where it is hanging up- just a very little with a file at a time and then try it again

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

another thing you can try is to remove the forend iron and put around .010 shim stock between the wood and iron, screw it back together and see if it will fit better, you may have to play with it a little to get the best fit, but you are not removing any metal.

tony

5. g7777777

Well first take the forearm iron out of the wood- thats always how you start and then put it on the barrel

If it fits then try the shim mentioned above

if it doesnt - and it is as you described "hitting" then try this

If it is hitting just at the rear of the lug- you file just a little at a time and then try again until you get a tight fit

Lube the lug- put the iron back in the wood and see if it works- if it doesnt then its a matter of the forearm iron being at the wrong angle in which case a shim might work as mentioned above

6. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Once metal is removed, it's gone and if done incorrectly, the barrel may have other fitting problems.

Most importantly, fitting the barrel may require more than that. For safety reasons, I would go to a professional gunsmith/fitter.

Good luck.

7. g7777777

There is little that you can do to a forearm lug that cant be redone but a weld and then regrind

True forearm lug fitting may not cure headspace problems but if you start off with a barrel in good shape- you wont have those

If you want to pay 385 to have a 400 dollar barrel fit- go for it- but you asked if you could do it and the answer is probably yes

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. BBob

BBob TS Member

I just had Beretta in California, Bolsa Gunsmithing fit a topsingle barrel to my 682 Gold E. It only cost $65 plus a little shipping. I feel better knowing it was done professionally, rather than hoping I had it right by doing it myself. Bill

9. g7777777

For 65 dollars I agree Bill

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.