1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting adjustable combs- beware!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So a friend of mine at the club asks' you have fitted a couple of adjustable mechanisms Dan, would you mind having a look at one for me?'

No problem I say. So he explains to me, his 13 yr old daughter wants to try shooting, and he picked up a bargain Beretta 686 30 inch sporter. He has a shortened trap stock that he bought from another guy cheap, and has a Beretta memory stock adjustable mechanism for me to use.

So I get the stock, mask it up and draw out the cut as I always have, and fire up the bandsaw. Normally, I would have the kick pad on as it's not in the way, and I did have it on despite the first pic showing it removed. I got to where the pic shows, then the bandsaw lets out a squeal louder than a dozen 14 yr old girls at a Bieber concert!
    [​IMG]

I stop cutting, thinking crap I've hit metal. It's totalled the the bandsaw blade. I look and find some gold and silver coloured flakes of metal! What the hell??

So I try looking at the stock bolt, the cut has missed it by miles! What is going on I'm wondering?

I try unscrewing the kick pad, it's glued on, instantly I get suspicious. So I have to cut through the hard plastic part of the kick pad off and dang it, this is what's revealed!
    [​IMG]

Dammit! A damn recoil reducer had been installed by some previous owner! I phone my friend, he's got no idea what one even is, so he phones the guy he bought it off and he didn't touch it! And to top it off, Not just installed, epoxy resin in place with some of the hardest epoxy I have ever seen! I try i try bashing it with a punch, prizing and chiselling, it aint coming out!

With no where to go, I gotta cut through the sucker, lengthways!

45 minutes and 3 hacksaw blades later, I have this to show, a damn Dead Mule recoil reducer! Dead now, anyway!
    [​IMG]

I finally managed to get it out, now I gotta patch up the hole so I have something to screw the new mechanism into.

Anyway, lesson learned, never again without removing the recoil pad! Thanks for reading!

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You must have one Hell of a blade. I don't know how you made such a nice cut without a jig. It is savable, that's the good news.

Jb

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What have I learned through the years when drilling? Check behind what ever before doing so. There might be wires, lines, hoses or something you don't want to cut into.

4. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

What the heck is a " Bieber". Sounds lethal.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by putting that stock in your freezer for a few hours, then using a slide hammer fixed to a bolt in the threads. It would have easily came out. All bench rest guns have their receivers epoxied into the stocks, and every 3 years or so have to be re-epoxied and this is how it's done. When in doubt ask, because someone might have the solution.

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the Dead Mule brand other than seeing their ads. Is that a mercury filled reducer?

Bob

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"No good deed goes unpunished."

8. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

i feel your pain man crack open a fosters and wait till tomorrow ted

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It appears the path of the blade was deflected in the first and second photos. Are you going to have to sand the bottom of the comb to compensate now?

10. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

All things considered, an excellent cut! I think the hard part is behind you.

bluedsteel

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"Coulda been worse he smugly said"...I have a friend who was working on a used, but new gun to him. He was pounding on something in the back of the stock, hidden, but pad off. He hit a primer of a live shell...it had been put there to add weight and, in theory, reduce felt recoil.

Murphy's Law always applies, me thinks. And Murphy was an optimist.

12. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks for your comments guys. It was a battle but is salvageable and will be fine, just a little extra work than they should be.

Ill try and answer your questions in order-

Tron-JB- The bandsaw blades are pretty good but not that good. 1.2mm kerf cut line,4500mm long, whatever inches that is im not sure. 9 teeth per inch.
    I have plenty of experience on that sucker making cabriole legs, 17 years as a cabinetmaker (more than half my life at 33!) so the cut for me isnt an issue till i hit metal. Wurth brand hacksaw blades- cost more but saves my butt again! Thanks for your post, if i could be half as good as you guys are at stock work i would be very proud.

Pheasants Galore- Justin Bieber- the girls squeal at him just like that blade let out!

ToolMaker- Great idea. I did try spraying it with ice spray in a can that we use on locked bolts, but it didnt budge. I even tried using an "easy Out" left handed thread broken stud remover, wound it in, put a wrench on it as i thought the reducer might be screwed into the stock, but all it did was unscrew the end so the spring and blob of brass could come out. I will ask suggestions next time, i just wanted to get it out while i was in a frustrated mood!

Primed- Bob- The dead Mule reducer is nothing but a piece of brass with a spring at each end inside a tube- i cant see it doing anything at all to reduce recoil. more effective at putting weight in the butt to make the muzzle seem lighter. Another trapshooting gimic!

Stokinpls- Thats for sure! seems to happen to me a lot!

Pitt457- I glued the patch in and bandaged up my bleeding knuckles from the hacksaw, and had a beer, definately not a Fosters though. No one i know in Australia drinks that crap, i guess thats why they send it overseas!

Brian In Oregon- the cut did deflect a little, i have sanded it parallel and flat now though. The gap in the lowest position will be a litle bigger than i normally have, but will certainly be neat, around 1/8th inch. The crappy Beretta memory stock system actually hangs out of the timber anyway, so it will be fine, once i mount it in the correct depths.

Blued steel- Thanks for your post and kind comment, i did the best i could in the circumstance. I'll post some completed pics once done.

Chango2- Certainly correct there, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he was ok! I have certainly have learned from this.

Thanks again for your posts, i'll put a pic up once its done.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What kind of beer DO you drink?

14. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Good question Roach,

Howdy Dan,

Good luck with the stock,and by the way what is the beer of choice downunder?

Have a great day my friend

D.P.Reynolds

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi guys, probably 3 of the most popular are Carlton Draught, Tooheys New and Victoria Bitter. I could only find Tooheys over there a few years ago in a few select places, but like I said I can't remember ever seeing a Fosters tap in a pub or club for the last 15 years.

I personally buy a beer called Coopers pale ale, it's partially brewedin the bottle and is a true good solid beer, also there's a boutique beer called Big Head, that is Zero carbs and zero preservatives, but full strength (4.8% alcohol) which is great too, you can have 10 of those in a night and wake up feeling fresh as a daisy!

I did like Miller genuine draft when I was over there, and in Florida there was a beer called Land shark that was nice too.

16. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

In my experience in my small shop, I have found many interesting things inside stocks, from letters to nuts and bolts and live shot shells and spikes, and other things. From a lesson learned as Ib your tale, I never, ever cut into a stock without making sure what someone might have shoved inside. I do like finding letters from previous owners and any tales they included.

. My most interesting one ever was from a Marshall in the New Mexico Territory and the dangers and bad guys a certain Winchester 77 lever 10gauge went through between 1892 - 1911. I sent the letter along with the shotgun to a state official who said the gun and the letter would be displayed in a museum in the capital. I never got out there to see the display, but my brother-in-law said he saw it and it was in a nice display about New Mexico history....good luck to you....

17. high 2

high 2 Member

Dan, cutting into a stock without taking the recoil pad off is like diving in the water head first not knowing how deep the water is. These type of lessons are not easily forgotten. Larry

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Actually, Dead Mules are effective. I have one attached to the magazine cap of an 870TC; I can remove it and replace it with another cap in seconds so as to shoot the gun with and without the Dead Mule for comparison. There IS a difference!

[​IMG]

The photo above shows the 870 as well as a weighted magazine cap on an 1100. I wanted to show the 870 with the Dead Mule but don't have a photo of it alone stored.

Ed

19. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Well, I finally finished off the disaster. Considering my state of mind as I was hacksawing lengthways through the dead mule, it came up reasonable.

I thought I'd post a couple of pics of in letting the mechanism and cleaning it up, which is mostly done by hand. Oh, and the beretta memory stock mechanism is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen with a Beretta logo on it.

Thanks for reading.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nice job. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.