1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fitting a tall shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mad_dawg, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

6'5" shooter with long neck....so, to maintain a heads-up mount with a low ribbed gun, will dropping an adjustable butt plate be enough? Other options I assume would be custom stock and rib add-ons or cut comb and rib add-on.....only guns that seem to bite are monte carlo stocked break actions. What are you tall folks shooting comfortably? Win 101 clone sent down the road after it left its marks, mono-gun making its mark...

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I am 6'-2" and a 16" LOP works fro me.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I'm 6'5", lanky, and long necked. I shoot a standard rib height gun. My lop is about 15". I found an adjustable pad set to about 3 1/4 inch drop at heel allows a decent heads up position for me, however I'm seriously thinking of going to a high rib design.If a monte carlo design stock is biting you, maybe a pitch change would help. Good luck.

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could need cast off or on depending on right or left handed. Pitch could be wrong and drop at heel needs to be addressed. LOP also needs to be addressed. Go to a stock fitter, not stock builder for best results. If you have more than an inch of heel showing above your shoulder when the gun is mounted, the only place the recoil will go is in your face. I know, I've been fighting this for yrs. Roy

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am of average height and build and when I try to drop my recoil pad too much the gun kicks up into my cheek because of simple geometry; the axis of the bore is too high relative to my shoulder. The only solution I can think of is an Unsingle with a high rib and a serious drop at the heel.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

A lot also depends on your hat size and cheek bones. If the rib looks like a ramp and you are mashing your face onto the comb to get the sight picture you want, you may need more cast, more drop at comb, and a higher rib.

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Step 1 - start doing gun mounts to see what's comfortable in the pocket and try to determine "gun fit."

Step 2 - take this to a respected stock fitter and have them give you their opinion (Keith Heeg is one of the Best).

Step 3 - use this information to determine if your gun will grow with you?

If you look at how many guns change hands, there are a majority of folks out there trying to find gun fit.

Note: few are able to find their sweet spot without professional help. It's like any sport find what works for you and practice.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm 6'4", have lost 150 lbs. and now shoot from a stool. I know I need a gun fitter 'cause it ain't workin' very well right now.

Ron Burr

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Vewry tall shooters face a number of problems. Ignoring your present vertical eye alignment with the rib, lowering the recoil pad far enough would allow shooting with a naturally upright head and neck posture.

This, as suspected, would probably cause cheek slap because as was noted, the pivot point on the recoil would be so far below the axis of the bore.

A custom stock would be the best bet but also the most expensive. Another solution as you mentioned, would be to install an add-on rib and raise the comb enough to compensate for the taller rib. (The adjustable comb would need posts that allow raising it the necessary distance.)

Not only would that allow you to shoot with an erect posture, it would not increase barrel rise (and cheek slap) during recoil. The challenge will be to determine how tall an add-on rib would need to be. Visit http://www.addarib.com for an example of add-on ribs.

It is possible that add-on ribs are not tall enough to allow you to shoot with a naturally erect posture. If they are not, you could use a pad adjuster to lowr the recoil just a little to allow an erect posture.

You could experiment with the necessary rib height by taping a strip or strips of wood to your existing rib to raise it. Balsa from a hobby shop is the easiest wood to work with but any wood would do. When you find the correct height, an add-on rib of that height may be able to be ordered.

The goal as you ralize, is to be able to shoot with your head and neck naturally erect and with your eyes in the vertical centers of their sockets.

And while you're at it, check the pitch on your stock. The wrong pitch is a common cause of cheek slap. The pitch is correct FOR YOU when the "whole" pad, "top" to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as you are mounting the gun.

Also, it would be best if you mounted the gun with the top of the recoil pad extending above your collarbone far enough too prevent its slippind down during recoil. That would be close to an inch above your collarbone. This aids in shooting with an erect posture.

Rollin

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm 6'5" and 275#, (down from 330#s) shoot a 14 1/2 LOP with the adjustable comb up high ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Oldgunsarebetter

Oldgunsarebetter TS Member

I have the same problem. I've checked into the stock mod method, budget doesnt allow for that. I've found the next best is add-a-rib, with adj comb. The tallest add-a-rib listed on there website is the adj model at 1 5/8 high. I bought a Win 101 top single, unmolested and in very good shape. Plan is to modify this gun next year. Hopefully I can get it to fit, and reduce the next day pain. Right now I mount the bottom 2in or so of the stock right below my collarbone. But I'm not getting slapped in the cheek. Depends on your budget.

12. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I'm 6'8" tall and a left handed shooter. I shoot a Beretta 687 with an adjustable comb, and a pad adjuster. I shoot a 34" top single and a 32" O/U both with the standard trap rib. They work well.

Stock fit is different for everyone. Let me repeat that: Stock fit is different for everyone. All aspects of the stock need to be considered when getting it fit properly to your body size and shape. The ideal solution is to go see a stock fitter and get your gun set up to fit you properly.

If you cannot afford to hire a stock fitter, or even if you can, I would highly suggest that you buy and read two books on stock fitting. The first is the "Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald. This book will help you a lot and you will very likely find that you read it over and over. The second book is "Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting", by Jeff Meloy. This book gives you another look at stock fitting that is very helpful as well.

I would not spend another nickel on shotguns until you read these books and develop an understanding of how a shotgun is intended to fit. The things you will need to do to make your shotgun shoot well for you may be different than the things that someone else does to make theirs fit them.

Read up on the process and then make the changes as your budget allows. Good luck and good shooting.

Bob Cade

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm 5'11" and shoot 15 1/4" LOP and 1 1/4" drop. Like Bob said, everyone is different. If you don't know what you need, find someone that can tell ya.

14. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

How do you go about determining what hieght add a rib?

just curious,

Todd

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

First you have to determine your proper POI (point of impact), and to do that, you have to be a consistant shooter.

After that, the comb and rib should be high enough (or low enough) to bring the gun to your face and see the bead/rib arrangement that is preferred while giving you the POI you want, and NOT have to bend you head, cheek bone, or neck over to line up.

Placement of the comb, rib, and butt plate are all part of the correct set up. The ideal set up is perfect when you can bring the gun to your face and shoulder without a lot of manipulation, instead of forcing your face on the gun to see the rib/bead alignment. A stretched neck will make you pick up your head, and puts tension on the back of your neck.

Did I mention you have to be a consistant shooter to determine this?

16. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Bob Cade, I found the first book on Amazon. Can you tell me where to find Jeff Meloy's book? Amazon had this book:

Stock Fitting Secrets - a Stock Fitting Course for Trap , Skeet [Spiral-Bound]
    written by Oswald, illustrated by Meloy.

Charlie

17. Slewcity

Slewcity Member

The most expensive way to do this is too end up spending your money twice
    Go to a professional stock sitter like DeVault and spend your money once

18. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

Do stock fitters make the rib changes as needed or does that get sent out to a barrel/rib guy? Is there a one-stop shop?

19. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Setterman,

With your height, you are probably shooting your shotgun like a rifle, standing with your shoulders almost in-line with the direction you are shooting. If you weren't, you would not need a stock with an LOP of 15.25".

Todd,

To determine the required height of an add-on rib, the easiest way would be to use strip of balsa from a hobby shop taped to the exising rib. I'm not sure that answers your question but without more information, it's the best I can do.

Dennis DeVault could make anhy rib changes that were necessary but most stock fitters may need to have the rib changes made by a gunsmith if the change involved more than the addition of an add-on rib.

Charlie,

I wrote "Stock Fitting Secrets," illistrated by Jeff, which is out of print. It was expanded and retitled "Stock Fitter's Bible" using some of Jeff's graphics. "Secrets" is no longer available.

Jeff's book, "Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting" is available here: http://www.gunshowbooks.com. "Bible" is available from my Websiste (above) and from Amazon.

Rollin

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I know a long necked shooter who has his head down so far to get it on his factory comb that he is shooting out of the very tops of his eyes which he has to roll back in his head to see out. He's not a bad shooter but I bet he would be much better if his head was up where it should be. Gun fit is different for every individual, but getting it right will do more to make you and the gun a single operating unit than anything else you will do, ESPECIALLY if you aren't average sized. YOU CAN'T BECOME ONE WITH THE TARGET UNTIL YOU HAVE BECOME ONE WITH YOUR GUN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best shotgun for tall shooter

shotgun for tall shooter