1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting a stock yourself - my step 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

[​IMG]
    <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/joemkuhn/3200?feat=embedwebsite" style="color:#4D4D4D;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;">3200</a>

So I got to the range and patterned on some cardboard. Freestanding I discovered my 3200 shoots as high as my Mach One, which is perfect for me and I've got two 3200 barrels that shoot nearly identical poi-wise. No I didn't use a bench because I'm not going to drag that picnic table all the way out there an back. Yes, I did have variation due to steadiness of the hand, but I shot each barrel 9 times and the bottom one a few extra just 'to be sure'. Sorry, but this is the best I could do with my resources. Standing back looking at the patterns as a whole, it is fine and I like it (so don't give me a hard time).

Then I went and shot a round and it shoots very closely to my Mach One on real targets. Could smoke 'em with a nice direct move to the target and had a few 'Joe' issues with right handers getting away from me on 5.

I'm happy enough with the patterns to dig into the stock.

Noticed the butt pad was coming loose at the top screw so I took it apart and found that a prior owner had replaced the stock screw with a longer one (flat head, not phillips like the other) which is what popped the stock up there at the top. Hey, it's a used gun...so I dug in and found some brass inserts in my old Mach One stock and put them in the 3200 only to find that the brass breaks down easily if you don't drill the hole quite big enough and have a screw driver that's too small. The crack at the top just got bigger.

Ended up having to grind one brass fitting flush with the wood and put the other one on the other side of the hole for lead weights in about the middle of the butt pad.

Went to the comb with a file and couldn't seem to make any head way in getting the beads to line up. Then I discovered I'm canting the gun away from my face. The correction for that helped some but not completely. Back to the file, I'm beginning to really appreciate what stock fitters do as my fingers are getting raw from the rasp...

Back to the butt pad. I took the old one off tried to correct my cast issue with some adj butt pad hardware. Will have to grind the corners down to fit and will have to use a wood screw at the top after filling in my brass insert hole first attempt with a wood dowel. Top hole didn't line up...

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Suggestion: Take an adult ed. night class in woodworking. That will allow you use of all kinds of machines including a jointer, router(s), special sanders, etc. If you live in a state that will allow a "firearm" on campus, you are in!

Otherwise, it would be more trial and error working with the stock only...or maybe your community/state would allow you to take in a shotgun without the trigger installed, firing pin removed, etc. Depends upon the local/state "social mores" one guesstimates.

Reminds me: In the 9th grade, to get a decent "citizenship" mark in homeroom, we had to do stuff to be useful for the homeroom teacher. Mine happened to run the woodshop. He had me sanding down three rifle stocks over the first half of the semester. They were, of course, his "project" guns. He had a source of semi-legit "child labor".

Community: Los Angeles, California, 90027. Year: Circa 1961!!!

And I fondly remember that now; learned something about sanding with the grain etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.