1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fitting a barrel....what does it mean....exactly?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I have two Berettas, one is a 682x and the other is a 686. The barrels swap back and forth just fine. I haven't shot them that way for fear of the unknown. I also just purchased a 34" unsingle for the 682x and want to know what it exactly means to have the barrel "Fitted". If it fits on the gun, the locking lugs are tight, and the shell ejects without hitting the frame, am I good to go or is there something deeper I need to know about or have done.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is mainly about how the locking lugs fit. If both of your guns are faily new with low round count then they will probably not require any fitting. If one of your guns had a lot of rounds through it and had one or mor locking bolt replacements then the newer gun would need a similar step up size locking bolt and the lock up holes in the new barrel set would need to be fit to that - if you wanted to maintain interchangeability between the two guns and associated barrels.

I doubt you will need to worry about any of this. Try out the barrel swap by firing. If the locking bolt does not fall far enough into the locking recess, the gun won't fire. If the lock up is too loose (lever to the left of center) the gun might unlock itself after you fire it so you want to avoid doing that again.

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There's more to fitting a barrel than having the gun lock up. The rear of the barrel must seat against the face of the receiver without a gap and the barrel ears must seat on the fences of the receiver with no gaps. The ejectors may need to be timed as well.

Most gun manufacturers have been able to tighten up their tolerances with improved CNC machines requiring less hand fitting. Some late model guns will interchange barrels with no problems and other will not. Any leakage around the barrel and receiver no matter how slight is a problem.

Surfer

4. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

The breech gaps should be mated,that is whats called " on face",meaning the barrel face mates up flush to the reciever face, no more than a human hairs worth.
    But if you dont shoot that much anyway,it will take a long time to get worse.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

With the Beretta 680 series sometimes the ejectors need to be timed also.

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

just a note on woframs' comment on a Beratta not firing if the action isn't completely locked up. This may be true of newer guns with the hammer block parts - guns older than the 682 gold series do not have a hammer block mounted on the underside of the top tang. I believe they will fire without the action being fully locked up. (I have 3 older 68x series guns - none have the hammer block)

I don't know exactly what else is involved - The monobloc must be on face, timing must be right, forearm has to latch and not be too tight or too loose.

I think you want to be careful about swapping bbls around though - there is a pretty good camming force when you close the bbls - it would seem to be pretty easy to create issue with the trunions.

john

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

682 & 686 guns are not hand fitted. They are build on close tolerance CNC machines. 99% of their barrels are interchangeable from the factory. High mileage guns out of factory spec might require fitting.

If you don't see gaps on breech face, rib flush with receiver, shells eject properly, you are mostly in good shape.

8. dead on 4

That's odd Steve, I was told most of the 682 barrels were hand fitted until the past few years. I owned a 682X trap, 682 skeet, 682 sporting all produced within three months of each other and none of them would interchange barrels and receivers receivers. I guess it must have been a fluke...........

Surfer

9. BD457

BD457 Member

Okay....... Looks like the SMART thing to do is get the unsingle fitted to the 682x and since I bought both used, a good service would be in order. Recommendations? I'm way out here at the southern most corner of the Liberal coast. I'm also afraid I could develop severe withdrawal symptoms if I was away from my gun ("Missey") for more than a few weeks.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Surfer, are your 682s pre late '80s, or Tenifer finish? The older ones were not build by CNC machines.

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

I'd send it to Coles.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Second for Coles.

13. dead on 4

If you're in SoCal, then Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster (714/894-9100) for barrel fitting. I believe they are an authorized Beretta warranty repair center and are certainly the top gun smiths on the west coast.

Surfer

14. dead on 4

Steve, I'm going to have pull my files and chck purchse dates. I remember the sporting clays and skeet had a silver receivers and the trap was black. I think they were produced in 88 or 89. I'm curious so, I'm going to look. I've had a couple of later production guns but never tried enterchanging barrels.
    Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what does it mean when your fitting a barrel