1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIST TAPPING------HOW COME??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WWB, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

Watched a trap squad shooting singles the other day--after every 5 3 members of the squad would tap fists as they passed! Knew that the Skeet crews do this after every station--hit two birds and the other 4 all line up to tap fists with you?????? Am I missing some emotional uplift?? Or is it that difficult
    that when you hit 5 in a row your to be commended or congrats are in order?
    Reminds me of some of the Broncos who make a tackle or catch a pass go about high fiving the other 10 guys--geez its what the game is about! Just curious about the motivation and wondering whether I am getting a bit narrow minded in my old age!
    Bill

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

These guys were really skeet shooters, checking out the "other side" for a day. They're in the closet, or else they'd pat butts like usual.

Stay away from those fags.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not do this. When changing posts, I want to think about the next target, now what I did on the last 5 targets.

After a shooter on my squad runs the first 50, I sometimes make a light remark such as "nice 50" but nothing else until he runs the last 50.

Pat Ireland

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't see it around here except maybe after a 25.

Must be some outlander funniness.

HM

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Apathy is becoming the norm. What used to rate a "high five" now just manages to get a "mediocre four".

Morgan

6. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Different strokes Different folks ! Mox Nixs

Pat Kelley

7. ksaul1

ksaul1 TS Member

First off, this phemomina you call fist tapping is whats known as a bump.
    Though it doesnt have its own wikipedia page yet like its predecessor the High Five, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_five .
    Its just another step in the ghettafication of America. Thank MTV and Major Leaugue Sports. Its a pretty common practice everywhere these days but people are doing this between stations after running 5 birds? Christ that has to get annoying to watch let alone participate in. I say save it for your buddies at the pub during your favorite teams ballgame Cletus.

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Clelbrations are fine, even small ones like the fist bump if they are welcome between squad mates. As a past post mate said, different strokes. Just be sure they do not distract.
    The first time I ran a hundred, I backed it up with another hundred in a two hundred event. On my left was a skeet shooter with forty years competition under his belt. He did not make any gesture or say ANYTHING between rounds, field changes, or any other time. When I broke the last target he turned to me with a smile I will never forget and a hand out. He said I wanted to say something but was afraid I might cause you a problem. That was a very special time with a special friend and I will always remember his courtesy and genuine wish that I do well.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think it should be banned!

God forbid trap shooters should display any emotion or even act like they're having fun!

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

So do these guys only do this when they run the post? Or is it done even if one or more of them drop 3 birds? I mean, it seems a celebration is not particularly in order if you just dumped the last two or three shots. Do only those that run the post get "bumped?" And, do you get to bump the straight person only if you run your post or if you just dropped 3 birds? What is a person to do? Oh, dear. Oh, dear. Jake

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Timb99 wrote: "I think it should be banned!

God forbid trap shooters should display any emotion or even act like they're having fun!"

LOL. Good point. I once made the mistake of saying "Good shooting" to a squad member while a round was still in session, and I got nothing but dirty looks from the rest of the squad. One of the squad members told me after the round to never say or do anything during the round that might distract the other squad members...... even if it was intended to offer encouragement.

A recent "You Tube" video on this site showed George Digweed breaking teal targets at 80, 90, 100 yards as he worked his way back across the parking lot. In between shots, people were yelling encouragement at him as he paced off another 10 yards to his next "station". This shouting and commotion in between shots didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. In fact, I think he injoyed it and thrived on it.

Sometimes I think that some of us take ourselves just a bit too seriously. Relax. Have some fun. You just might find that you shoot better when you're relaxed and enjoying what you're doing.

Easystreet

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Easystreet, as I read down this list of posts, I thought of the same thing! The man was BSing till he tucked his gun under his arm to call for a target. From that point till the bird broke, he was all business. The more "golf like" trap shooting becomes, the less fun times it seems. Some squads know how to have fun shooting togather and when to be serious, just as George does. If noise bothers you, shotgunning may not be your game. Hap

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

One of the advantage of 57 years of competitive shooting (rifle, pistol, shotgun)is that you wind up mostly deaf!

Kind of hard to get distracted by noise or talking!

14. nicky

nicky Member

Bill, You didn't happen to notice if they had love or hate tattoo'd on their fist did you ?. If they do I'd say stay clear, Kevin

15. BMC

BMC Member

The guys I squad with do this all the time. Not sure why, they were doing it when I joined them last year.

The fist bump was a modified version of the handshake hundreds of years ago when the plague was killing millions. When meeting a friend or business acquaintance it was customary to bump fists rather than embrace with a open hand or to hug a stranger to avoid infection while remain cordial.

If something like a fist bump bothers you, you might want to look the other way, or take up another hobby because being anal retentive about what others do will only effect you.

16. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I think I first saw this while watching a golf tournament. Someone drains a putt and everyone is tapping fists, both golfers and caddies. Seems strangely out of place in this sport, where participants break 99 out of a hundred and go home mad.

Play Dead

17. BMC

BMC Member

Not if you successfully made the itch go away!

18. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

Is this worst then toe tapping under the stall? LOL

19. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Zara, When you grab your crotch, do you also sing a quick version of the Star Spangled Banner and spit? Jake

20. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Just a different version in a different stall. I know them pink-pantied, tutu-wearing skeeters started this, how did it spread to manly-man trapshooting??? LOL(or maybe not)

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.