1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing rod builders ( repair question)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This rod is about 20-25 years old and was made for me by a dear friend who has since passed away. It has always been my favorite not to mention I am sentimental about it. So before someone says go buy a new one because of the cost of repair, I wanted to say that I am going to attempt to repair this one somehow.

The reel seat bottom half broke off and the picture shows the top half which I am in the process of cutting off. There will be a lead sleeve still on the rod, the sleeve is approx .75" in outside diameter. Can I buy a handle to glue on this lead sleeve?? I know we have some serious fisherman out there on TS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

is this a flyrod????

If it is ( I build them as a hobbie) just remove the entire reel seat- and then either turn a new one if you have access to a lathe or go to a online rod component cataloge and purchase a new real seat and glue back in place and replace the cork grip- can also be purchased same place as where you get real seat. Cabellsa has a fishing rod component catalog- for fly rods as well as all other rods.

If its not a fly rod you can still repair it- I just dont have any experience with those

Bob R

3. cubancigar2000

It is a spinning rod and all I care about is making it serviceable. I cannot see ever getting the lead sleeve off so I would need a handle with an inside dia to match my sleeve? This rod is a bluegil ( pan fish) rod and would not be used for fish much over 1 lb

4. Tenshot

Tenshot TS Member

Go to anglersworkshop.com out here in Washington they will have everything you need to get it fixed, and if you give them a call they will take the time to help you figure out the best way to accomplish it.

Lee

5. cubancigar2000

Thx Lee, I just got everything off but the lead sleeve and it measures 15 mm - I see on their web I can buy a handle that size inside dia. I guess I will just gorilla glue it on

6. Tenshot

Tenshot TS Member

They should also have spacers with an ID OD close to the lead plug you have on the rod now, if you want to add another to help hold the grip to the rod when you glue it, I have also just wrapped masking tape on the rod to support the grip, but I like the spacers better.

Lee

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Cubancigar2000, You need to epoxy the new reel seat to the fiberglass blank. In order to get it on properly in needs to come down from the top of pole because of the taper of the blank. In order to do this the rod tip and all the guides need to be removed and then replaced again after the new reel seat is in place and then of course you need to epoxy glue the new cork on the blank as well. Then the cork needs to be sanded to size and shape desired. Don't try to install the reel seat from the bottom and work up it will not hold up. If you have trouble removing the old partal broken reel seat be sure to grind it down to the blank carefully. Do not cut into the fibers of the blank or you can through the rod away. I used to build them in my younger years. Make sure you keep the guides and seat lined up in the same postion as they are now, because a good fiberglass blank has a backbone in it per say. Its designed to bend in that direction only. Good Luck and tight lines. Jeff

8. gotbass

gotbass Member

rather than putting on a handle and reel seat think about doing it Tennessee style. You just tape the reel directly to the handle. If you look at Cabellas or Bass Pro Shops you will see pan fish rods with this sort of handle. By far my favorite way to use a spinning outfit. Does away with those pesky reel seats which loosen or break from over tightening. Good fishing. Mike

9. cubancigar2000

Gotbass That is what I am now thinking of doing

10. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi there,
    You might try Netcraft out of Maumee OH. They have lots of rod buiding supplies, and are nice folks to talk to. Good luck to you.
    -powderburn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.