1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing reel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kalina, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I am looking for a new musky reel and would like some info on the Penn 209. I have an Ambassador 6500 C3 and need to now how the Penn compares in size, casting and retrieve speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

2. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

3. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check out the Avet reels. Chichay

4. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I found a used Penn and needed the comparison. It is for a second rood so I was hoping to not spend to much.

5. Stonge

Stonge TS Member

I do not know about the Penn reels. I have all Abu Garcia 6500 and 5500. I like the size of the 5500's better. Although have you seen the A.G. Revos? They look and feel great, just a little pricey. Getting ready to splash the "MUSKY" boat soon as March and April can be pretty good on Cave Run.
    Set the hook!!! John
    PS Had a 42 in the boat in late November!

6. Stonge

Stonge TS Member

Here it is! John
    stonge_2011_11095.jpg

7. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

Nice fish! I have a 6500second C3 and like it alot. I am looking for a reel for a second rod and am hoping to save some money as I plan on buying a different trap gun this year. I have until June until the season opens here in Minnesota so it's not a big rush. I tried a Revo of my buddy's last year and would love to get one but can't spend that much right now.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The difference between the garcia reel and the penn 209 is day and night but the penn 209 is still a very good reel and is low maintenance. The gear ratio is much slower than the Garcia reel but the drag on the Penn is a little heavier duty. Most folks have a difficult time casting the Penn 209/309 series but it can be done when set properly. If you look around you can find a good used 6000 series Garcia reel for thirty or forty bucks and the main difference is the 6000 reel has brass bushings instead of ball bearing on the left side of the spool but will work great for you. Jackie B.

9. toad67

toad67 Member

Try the Shimano Cardif, for the money I think they are the best.

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I second Toad!

I have 4 Shimano Cardiffs, all 400s with 65# or 80# Spiderwire Stealth.

Can't beat them for the bucks. I retired all my Garcias and Diawa's.

SW

11. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

The Cardiff is not a bad option but look at a Tica Caimen. They are similar to Calcutta 400s but new about $99. In my opinion don't waste money on a 209. They cast poorly and don't have the gears to hold up to musky fishing. I just switched to the new Tranx by shimano.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.