1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing line question ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by map@neo, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map@neo

map@neo Member

Question for all you die hard fishermen: What do you consider the best monofilament line for ultra light tackle? I recently have been Crappie
    and Perch fishing (with a few bass thrown in)and I am having terrible
    problems with line twist and spool snarles. I am using 4# Stren currently
    with a small swivel. I have used Trilene in the past and have had the same
    problems. It is me doing something wrong or is all the companies just
    making "junk" these days? Any suggestions, please? Thank you.

2. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I have been tournament Bass fishing all over the Northwest for almost
    30 years and have tried about all of the lines and been sponsored
    By several companies. There's one I always went back to and still
    us it's McCoy green. It's the best line made.

With that being said maybe your putting it on wrong, a lot of
    people cause their own problems.
    If your putting it on a spinning reel lay the spool flat on the floor and start
    reeling after about 10 turns of the reel lower you rod and see if the line twists
    If it does turn the spool over and reel it on. You should be fine then.
    Don't over fill the reel stop about a 1/4 from full.

Bill

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bill, is right about the line twist when installing but another problem would be drag to loose and then when you reel in the the bail is going around but is not taking up line thereby twisting the line. Copolimer lines have been my favorite for years but there are so many new lines and types. You can always unspool the line behind the boat for a few moments and get the twists out. Jackie B.

4. map@neo

map@neo Member

Thanks Bill. I have been a trout fisherman for close to fifty years. Always used light/ultra light tackle. I am aware of certain techniques to reduce the line twist but this last month has been a disaster with line wrapping around the
    rod tip, bird nests from the spool and twists of line between the quides. Tried different brands and poundage, all garbage to me!!! Where do you purchase McCoy
    Green, if I may ask? Thank you again.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Spiderwire. If that isn't small enough, bloodknot a leader of green 1 1/2 lb test onto the end. Make sure your drag is nice and smooth. Good luck.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like Tectan made by D.A.M in Germany. Cabela’s used to carry it but now you have to look for it via Google on the Internet.

Try Fishusa.com at:

http://www.fishusa.com/DAM-Tectan-Premium-Plus-Monofilament_p.html

Tectan is super small in diameter and a very pale green in color. It is a premium line that costs 3-4 times what Trilene costs.

I use the 6.4 # and the 9.2 # weights, each of which is smaller in diameter than Trilene 4 #.

Tectan is very soft and has low spool memory. However, it breaks down quickly from the ultraviolet light in sunlight so I only use it for a few days and then strip off 15 - 20 yards or so.

The longer any line remains on the spool and the more sunlight it is exposed to will cause most lines to become brittle and "remember" its position on the reel. This can be reduced by frequent changes of line. I buy my line in 1000 or 3000 yard spools and change line often. If you see a spiral in a slack line, this may not be line twist but spool memory.

Line twist comes from the lure and not the line. If you retrieve some lures too fast, they twist. In line spinners like the Rooster Tail also twist the line. To minimize line twist with a spinner, consider a “safety pin” style Rooster Tail or Beetle Spin.

Open face spinning reels and closed face spin cast reels will twist your line when the drag is activated. If the drag is set too light and you reel in and the line is not retrieved, you are twisting the line.

I fish a lot with very small jigs like 1/32 or 1/16 oz and 1 inch curly tail grubs. Berkley used to make a 1" micro grub in lime sparkle power bait that was terrific but they dropped it.

When I fish farm ponds from the bank, I have a lot of success with a casting bubble (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-lures/031099400006.aspx)and a dry fly or a jig. This technique worked 40 years ago and it still works.

Ed Ward

7. Bill Roberts

I'm in Washington State and we have in in several places. You can
    always get it online. I alway get it at a store called Ranch & Home.

Another tip make sure you close the bail by hand, turning the
    reel handle to close it causes the line to loop and twist.

Bill

8. gotbass

gotbass Member

Both the tips about closing the bail by hand and watching how line goes on and flipping the bulk spool are good and must do's. Spider wire on a spinning reel is not great for decent casting. I do like Mean Green as well. Even the florocarbons which are notorious for these problems are not a problem is handled properly. As to using a swivel - I have fished a lot of tournaments and have never seen a experienced fisherman using them. It is fair to say that cheaper spinning reels have a tendency to induce more line twist. Line is not a place to economize, but a good tackle store that caters to fisherman, not some big box or Wally World can point you in the right direction. No limp rods.

9. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Good info already presented, but also: when you have engaged (closed) the bail, and by hand is the better way, take any slack out by gently pulling it forward (toward the tip) with your free hand. Any slack becomes that dreaded loop if you reel line in on top of it.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Spinning reels naturally twist line and have done so ever since I can remember. That's why many fisherman use open face reels today (baitcasters). However these are very hard to cast with ultra light weighted lures and line. The best way to get the twist out is to lay out line on a moving boat (nothing on end of line) until you have out 20% more line out than you can cast. Run the boat for 5 minutes or so and the water will remove all the twists. If you don't have a boat do the same thing on your lawn and walk twice around the house letting the grass run as long as possible through the line. There was a product made several years ago that "Said" it helped to keep the line twist down, but I don't know if its still around or if it ever worked. As said above some lines are better than others, but all will twist after dozens or more casts. Bill said try one side and then the other to help stop the problem before it starts and this is good advise, For baitcasters I find it better to hold line spool with a pencil and let it roll off instead of letting the line twist off. You can also place the mono spool in a bucket of water if you don't have a second set of hands or a spool holder to reel on line. Good Luck and Breake-m all Jeff

11. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Pull and Mark; double check; an "open face" reel IS a spinning reel. I think you're describing a casting reel, or "baitcaster."

12. Pull & Mark

Yes, Earlybird I was refering to the baitcaster type reel!!! Thanks for the catch. I do "Alot" more saltwater fishing and the Penn 4/0 is commonlly called a open face type reel (around here). Its a really big baitcaster. LOL. Sorry for any mix up. Break em all Jeff

13. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

All spinning reels will bird nest with mono line. The simple fix is to strip off all the mono and respool with a braid line. I like Stren Sonic Braid in lo-vis green. Use 8 or 10 lb test as it will be as thin or thinner than 6lb mono. Be sure and leave about 1/8" of the spool showing.

Next get a good fluorocarbon line in 4 or 6 lb test for a leader about 5 or 6' long, like Berkley Trilene 100%. Use an Albright knot to tie the 2 together and be sure to use at least 25 wraps on that knot.

I've been using this set-up for several years now with no more 'bird-nests'. You will also have much better feel of what you lure is doing. I've never had the knot slip as either. It's pretty easy to tie once you get the hang of it.

Cheers,

George

14. Pull & Mark

George, I like that idea of yours for bass fishing. I assume your rapping the braided line around the mono on the albright knot!!! The braided lines are pretty slippery!!! The poster is looking for 4 pound test line for crappy/speck fishing though. Down here the norm is toss out a Missouri minnow under a cork at night, or fish the flats and find the spawners and toss a jig in there bed during the day. Ultra light fishing and or fly fishing can be real fun. Break em all Jeff

15. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

spinning reels do not necessarily "bird nest" with mono. 1.) select line that is limp, vs mono w/more body for baitcasters 2.)wind it properly on the spool-see Bill Roberts post 3.) DO NOT reel against a snag, or while drag is slipping fighting a fish; this twists your line 4.) when you close the bail- best by hand- look at the line playing out toward the first guide; if there is any slack, take it out by gently holding forward as you begin to reel, until line is taut out the guides. As to braids, I like them, but they wear harder on guides, and a stout hook set can bury the really small diameter line into the less tightly wound line already on the spool.

16. Bill Roberts

Good post early bird. My spinning reels don't bird nest ever.
    Use a good quality line, put it on correctly and do the things above
    and you won't have a problem.
    I caught a 5 lb and several 3+'s today, smallmouth bass getting
    ready for the Northwest Classic on the Columbia river. 8 lb McCoy
    Mean Green. No problem.

Good luck and good fishing, release the big ones to catch another day.

Bill

17. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try the new Nanofil line, best casting line on a spin reel I ever tried. AND you can toss it a country mile too. Aint cheap but good stuff seldom is!

Bob Schultz

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

On many spinning reels it is possible to remove the bail wire while leaving the line guide in place. This a trick I use when repetetive casting for crappie and other pan fish is in order. No more line twist, longer casts and not difficult to master.

Robert

19. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I could have sworn the question was what was the best mono line to use for ultra-light fishing and how to eliminate line twist in a spin reel.
    What do you call ultra-light?
    My friend Willie calls U-L 20# test on a meat stick. He doesnt want to play a fish,just bring it in quickly and do it again.
    I,on the other hand had balanced tackle, meaning the line I used was perfect for the rod I was using. The reel had to have a smooth drag with enough line for a 200 yd run, minimum.
    When fighting a fish on spinning gear, if you pump up the rod while taking in line, turning the handle, and the fish is taking out line the line will twist and there is nothing,absolutely nothing in the world you can do about it with that fish on. After, if you catch or loose that fish, use another rod and reel, later on if there is room, not any boats around at slow speed, but if there is any hardware on the line, remove it, if leaders are tied on and they have no wear or nick marks from the fish and all the line is OK open the bail and let all the line out and so goes the twist, then reset the drag and bring in the line on the spool. I have never found any other way.
    I chose Ande green IGFA tournament fishing line. It had controlled stretch and the line was good for the test strength it had. I used 2,4,6,8,12,20 # test line depending where I fished,inshore or offshore with rods and reels balanced for that line. When fishing for larger fish, I used 30 and 50 lb test ande with braided stainless steel wire. I was and still am a nut job about fishing I loved it and thankfully my girlfriend who became my wife also came to enjoy it immediately as did my kids.

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

teach, I bought a several big spools of Tectan from Cabela's years ago. The best line I have used.

map@neo , I have used a lot of 4lb green Trilene for Bluegill. I like it. Stay away from the clear/flourescent, the fish will too. There will always be some twist using spinning reels no matter how careful you are. When it gets too bad I let all of the line out behind the boat while trolling and then reel it in.

I see Spyderwire mentioned, it's a joke. The knot slips and it is worthless for bluegill fishing, they won't come near it. Bass aren't so picky. I pitched all my braided line in the trash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.