1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing - Duck, NC

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jhoward, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

I'm going to be spending a week in Duck, NC towards the end of June. I'd like to do some fishing while I'm there. Surf, from a pier, or maybe a reasonably priced head boat. Anyone have any suggestions? I grew up fishing in the Gulf in central FL, so I'm not a stranger to salt water fishing, but I've never been to the OBX area before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Look up Oregon Inlet fishing center...lots of great charters...one note is that its state regulated so the price to go out on a 65ft'er is the same as a 35..at least that's how it used to be

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

I did a little looking and noticed that the prices for charters were remarkably similar, but $1600-$1800 a day is a little more than I can afford. That's the reason I was looking at head boats or just shore fishing.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Oregon Inlet is actually a bit of a haul from Duck - with lots of traffic between the two.

There tends to be decent surf fishing (blues, drum, etc.) in the ocean. If you can get to a slew or inlet you can get flounder, weakies on top of the others I mention.

Typical fish include Sea Bass, Cobia, Red Drum, Blues, Croaker, Strippers, Flounder (check on size and number limits).

Decent clamming and crabbing in the right areas. You can make Coquina chowder from the little guys you collect along the surf line.

My favorite tackle shop there is in Whalebone Junction (http://www.whalebonetackle.com/) - again a bit of a haul from Duck.

There is a large sound side behind the barrier islands - great crabbing and clamming - a shallow draft boat is the way to go for this.

Want the best seafood EVER? Hit Fisherman's Warf in Wanchese (http://www.fishermanswharfobx.com/) - at the very southern end of 345 - you will not be disappointed. Restaurant is upstairs on top of the fish company store/depot.

5. In Clay We Crush

In Clay We Crush TS Member

I have a vacation house in Duck. Find the Army Corps of Engineers pier. just North of Old Duck Beach Road. Off the north side of the pier the shelf drops off a lot closer than the south side of the pier.

it's a short walk up the beach from my home. Enjoy and good luck.

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

As said, Oregon inlet is a haul from Duck but at 04:00 in the morning the only traffic is fishermen and garbage trucks ;-).

The fishing center at OI can put you on a make-up charter where the cost is split between the # of folks on the boat. That's what we've had to do the last few years because our group we used to go with either lost their jobs and/or had kids and no longer have the money to go. Sometime you get lucky and get a good boat/captain/mate , but sometimes you don't. That goes for the charter too. Sometimes you get pilgrims and sometimes you get fish hogs. Lots of stories there too.

And as said before too, Most of the restaraunts are great! Fresh seafood can't be beat. We've been going every year since 1979! Only been run out twice by hurricanes. And yes, I am old.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yes Don...yes you are ; ))

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Donne,

Not to say you are old, but I've been hitting the Outer Banks (Ocracoke) since 1963 - had my fifth birthday there - hoping to make in down this year for 55...

-

Joe,

Head boats or charters tend to head towards the Gulf Stream (the cheap ones will only take you to 'blue water' - not technically the Stream itself).

You can get decent bill fish (more Wahoo than Marlin) and often into Dolphin (the fish - Mahi Mahi) or Blues and the occasional Tuna.

Most fun is a small boat working in the Sound - you can crab, clam, and even find shrimp as well. A bigger boat will get you to an inlet or the ocean, but no real need to go far out of you just want to catch dinner.

Keep an ear to the fishing reports - often the piers or surf will get a 'run' of something and the people tend to share locations and bait/tackle ideas fairly openly.

Check on "beach permits" (not for you silly - for your 4 X 4). You can typically drive on the beach, but you need either a national park pass or a local town pass - do your research 'cause they do NOT honor each others permits, and while not expensive they do add up if you start getting three or four of them.

If you don't have a boat you should be able to find small boat rentals - many have weekly rates that aren't that bad. Figuring June dates a reservation for a boat would be a 'must.'

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Thanks for all the tips. Still got a little time to make a decision, but it is getting closer!

10. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Should be catching croakers, small blues, called Taylor blues ,and the occasional sea mullet *round head). Fish tend to run between the bar and the beach, not very far out. Blood worms,shrimp and squid work well as bait. If you get a run of Blues cast in to the with a Hopkins (silver spoon),

You will need an out of state salt water liscense, cost about $10 for a week.

Go by TWs Tackle at about mile post 4 on the main road. They will no what is biting at any given time.
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.