1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FISHING BOAT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't know where you hunt ducks, but a 10 foot boat is too small anywhere.

You should do a little research about the kind of hunting you intend to do.

If you hunt in a cattail marsh, a flat bottom square stern skiff is the ticket.

Where I hunt no motors are used. I have a Shell Lake fiberglass skiff pointed on both ends. Propulsion is by paddle (sitting) or push pole (standing).

It sneaks through the weeds nicely and is wide enough to stand up and shoot if you pull it up into the cattails.

Hunting the big water here (Lake Michigan or Green Bay) requires a 25 horse at least and a 16 foot V hull.

Even so, some hunters lose their life when bad weather comes up and they capsize out in the deep. We lose about 7-8 hunters per decade. Hypothernmia is no joke, once it sets in you are screwed.

The Boat on ebay is real cute for fishing in the summer on 80 acre lakes or farm ponds. It would also make a good planter for your yard.

HM

2. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear FB,

Find out what the beam width is! If your a big guy (6') and 260 lbs., You will have a problem, standing up and shooting! Small duck hunting boats have claimed many hunters when standing is attempted! It looks like a good deal with the motor, but I think it will go over 1000.00. Hard to buy this much equipment for short bucks.
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill

P.S. Wear your PFD when you use this type boat. I DO in any kind of boat!~

3. dewley

dewley TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have plenty of life insurance. Your family will need something to remember you by.

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

FB, do not know what kind of water you hunt on, or the Temp. you hunt in.
    I hunt the Mississippi river with an 18 foot Alweld and 90 horse motor.
    There are days this is none too big. As for a life jacket, forget it in 33 degree water. You have maybe 15 mins. at most depending on the shape you are in.

Bocephas

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

stateshoot

Ok I started out with this boat above but I found out later it worked out better as a Party Barge because when you shut the motor down then it wanted to sink with you so if any is looking for a Party Barge then this is the way to go and cheap on gas also.

Foggy...

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Crap, I thought this was one of Trons fishing parties!

Steve

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The boat looks similar to a boat made in the Northwest called a Livingston. I have a 10' model. It performs very well with a 10 hp motor. The twin hull design is very stable and sea worthy. I can stand up in mine and flyfish. It is wide and beamy and easily carries two people. It would work for duck hunting in protected waters. I have seen duck hunters in much less sea worthy boats. It should tow easily behind a small car. The boat weighs about 100 pounds. Anything under $2000 for this outfit would be a fair price. Mark

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Your thought about standing to shoot is what most of us think but it is not right. Standing to shoot in a boat can be big trouble. If you go to a duck club with guys who shoot out of small boats all the time you will see that they almost never stand to shoot. It makes the whole boat unstable. Just relax. Shoot while sitting in the boat. If you insist on standing to shoot, then make sure your insurance is paid up as suggested above. Regards, Jake

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Buy a Lowe or Polar Craft.....wide beam and the size of the boat and motor will depend on what type of water you'll be navigating.

And, don't buy someone else's problems. Buy new or from someone you know & trust!

Buy more boat than you think you need...'cause, you'll need it!

Curt - Delaware

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

It would be best for you to find a group of duck hunters and first learn a little from them and also pick there brains on what you should look for and not consider in a duck boat.

You might be finding out that after spending the money it was just a waste ... now also ask yourself that if this is now on E-Bay and it is a basicly new trailer and such why has not somebody local snatched this fantastic deal up before now? Another think I would have to worry about is the first thing that went through my head was ... that little thing looks like a dingy used within marina's and harbors and around that area that means probably salt water and salt water aint good on little motors like that and ... well ... if its such a great fantastic steal of a deal why aint nobody who actually knows something about little dingys and motors snarfed up that fantastic deal already or before it went on E-bay?

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

What? I can't believe it! Old Tron....Mr Fishing Boat himself hasn't responded here yet?

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know looking at that offer he has a reserve price on that boat and that reserve I predict will be at least $1000 so if you think your going to get it for $830 your sadly mistaken.

Another thing to majorily consider is that motor ... your buying a 20 year old motor and boat and I will think that a motor that old will be eaten up by the salinity of the Salton Sea where your planning on using it.

Do yourself a favor and forget this deal ...

13. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

I like this little skiff/tender. Nice little package for running back and forth from the dock to your slip. You're not going to use the motor so that's not a concern other than reselling. Using a an electric trolling motor leads me to believe you will be using this in very small protected water. Small protected waters usually don't have improved ramps if they have ramps at all.Look at the boats water line in regard to being hooked up to your car, will the trunk of the impala be under water by the time your deep enough to launch? How much does it weigh? Can you move it around by yourself off the trailer? Any white capped water and you are sunk (that electric tm get you out of anything rough). The dual sponsons make it a nice stable boat but shoot sitting down. That Honda 4 stroke is an ideal package for this boat.

I agree with Mark on this one, assuming the motor is a keeper anything under $2000 is a fair deal.

Something to think about, you should be able to find a nice little used flat bottom aluminium that you can strap to the top of your impala and a brand new trolling motor in the $5-600 dollar range that may better suit your needs.

Garry

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Fiberglass always has been and always will be heavier than aluminum.

15. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Pretty thinly veiled attempt there, State.

Maybe you should try trolling for bidders on a fishing site.

16. Stateshoot

Stateshoot TS Member

I thought fiberglass was lighter??? Well I went and looked at the boat, its in great shape. The owner also told me that he towed the boat behind his Honda Accord a few times without a problem. Does any of my fellow shooters have a 5 horsepower 4 stroke outboard out there? I think the 10 horespower is too much for that boat so I want to put a smaller outboard on it. Well guys thanks for all the tips. See you sandbaggers on the 27yrd line!

17. Stateshoot

Stateshoot TS Member

Almost time for the boat to end auction. Im new to the Ebay auction thing if I place a bid and the boat doesnt reach the persons reserve price does the seller have the right to sell it to the person that has the higest bid? That is if he will take my bid price, sounds like the guy is hurting for money so I hope he takes my offer. Well merry Christmas to all I will keep you posted about my new boat ill send some photos. And if anybody knows anybody selling a 5 horsepower motor, please let me know.

Thank You,

Mike

18. Stateshoot

Stateshoot TS Member

Tron,
    The motor on the boat is it a short shaft or long shaft? I think I have a good deal on a 5 horsepower short shaft for $500.00 But im not sure if a short shaft will be long enough for that boat?

Thanks, Mike

19. Stateshoot

Stateshoot TS Member

Can somebody tell me if the boat bid has gone over $1000. Im at work and I cant check ebay because my work has it blocked. I think Im still the highest bidder because I have not received an email from ebay. Im just concerned because Im thinking of leaving work early to make sure Im the highest bidder the auction ends sometime tonight.

Thanks

Mike

20. Stateshoot

Stateshoot TS Member

Tron the boat im bidding on is at the website below. Can you check and see what the high bid is. Im at work and they have ebay blocked from here. Thank you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESEX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160188911828&_trksid=p3984.cSELL.m315.lVI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.