1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Woman To Ever??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by colobiggun, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

17 year old first year shooter Janessa Beaman made the 27 yard line today after shooting a 98 in the handicap championship at the Colorado Zone shoot. I have done some research and asked the ATA for some help on determining if this is the first time in ATA history that a woman has made the 27 yard line in her first year of shooting? So far we cannot find any others. I know there are some that have done it at a younger age and with less targets, but none in their first year of competition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time, I would like to congratulate her on this outstanding achievement, and regardless if this the first time or not, I am extremely proud of her. It was fun watching her after she had hit her 97th target and knew she had attained the necessary score to ensure she received a yard, she smiled real big and did a fist pump, then promptly missed the next to last target to drop to a 98. It tied her for the handicap champion, then lost in the shootoff. A great achievement coupled with a great lesson. I'm sure we will be seeing more from her in the future.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wow! A great accomplishment. She must really be good to do it in a year. I never did........lol

Hauxfan!

3. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

Have watched her shoot at Kansas and the Texas State shoot, she is a very plesant person to be around and a great shot. Congrads on reaching the "Back fence"

Ben Donson
    'one step behind Jim Foster'

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Great shooting, if she isn't in for Rookie of the Year, she should be, looks like a shoe in.

Lou

5. bb-84

bb-84 Member

Definately rookie of the year material.

6. bb-84

bb-84 Member

How do they go about deciding who the rookie of the year is?

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The application process is printed in T&F every year. The decision is subjective, but they take into account how many trophies you won, which trophies they are (I imagine that Champ is better than Ladies, etc, just like for AA points), WHERE you won them (Grand, zone, state, or small local shoots, etc), your year-end averages, and the extra-curricular activities (what have you contributed to the sport, if anything).

I also think they take into consideration if you have ever shot trap before in league shoots, meat shoots, or many years of practice (sandbagging, in my opinion). T&F can't always follow everyone, but I would imagine that if word got back to the decision committee that someone had been shooting for years until they got really good (i.e. hanging back so they had a better shot at being awarded R.O.Y.), that this would also be a negative factor in the decision-making process.

Word gets around pretty quickly about a new person tearing up the fields, so I bet that they have an eye on the shooter long before the time for a decision is to be made.

Good shooting, Janessa. I was looking forward to meeting you and your dad at the Grand, but I never heard back from him. Hope to see you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.