1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First visit to a Cabelas.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Was visiting my dad, and on the way home we stopped in at the Cabelas in Lacey, Washington (near Olympia).

Holy cow!

Magnificent displays, fish aqauriums (warm and cold water), guns and ammo galore, even an airplane hanging from the ceiling!

View attachment 245561

View attachment 245562

View attachment 245563

View attachment 245564

View attachment 245565

View attachment 245566

View attachment 245567

View attachment 245568

View attachment 245569

View attachment 245570

View attachment 245571

View attachment 245572

View attachment 245573

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you have a sandwich at the restaurant? Bulge.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We go the one @ Dundee, Michigan. I hate to think what they spend in taxidermy at each store, and maintenance to keep them up.

4. Ducky

Ducky Member

They closed the whole upstairs and the rest. at ours in Hoffman Estates. Really affected the amount of product that they stock. Not for the better. Really decreased the size of the gun library. Hope yours stays nice.

Scott

5. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Besides all of the stuffed crap when you walk in; did you notice all of the crap products made in China?These are the guys who put all of the small gun shops/sporting goods stores out of business we all traded with in the past!

This outfit is just like the Walmarts who sucked the life out of small town America.

One guy's opinion but over priced made in China crap store who are agents of large container shipments of second grade made in China crap.

BUY FILSON!

6. Brian in Oregon

Barrelbulge, nope, didn't eat there. We were still full from having lunch with my dad.

Blackfoot, the blame for Chicom junk needs to be put on the consumer and politicians who won't stop dumping of cheap goods made by slave labor.

I hope they build a Cabelas in Oregon. We have few sporting goods places anymore with a decent variety and supply of ammo. All I can say about our most recent chain to open here is Dick's sucks.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a Cabelas near me and it's nowhere near as nice as yours. It's neat to visit but it still sucks. Prices are outrageous. You wouldn't even consider buying a gun there unless they are having specials. I can beat the prices on almost anything they have, in a local store. Jackie B.

8. Brian in Oregon

Yeah, Cabelas ain't cheap. And I doubt I'll be buying much at this store, since it is a 5 hour round trip to get to it.

But, they do have ammo I can't get locally, and as an Oregon resident, the Cabelas in Washington has an exemption form for sales tax.

So maybe if I'm in the area and want to save on shipping costs, I might pick up some ammo. Otherwise I've been ordering on line.

As for the stores in the area, cripes, most of them are charging just as much as Cabelas, *IF* they even stock what I need. And that's the thing. I cannot purchase locally much of the ammo I need for hunting. I have to order it over the Internet.

9. tachyon

tachyon Member

Let's see Cabela's carries Filson's

Of course most of the Filson' stuff you can buy today is "gasp" imported. Look at their shirts:

Beefy 100% cotton for durability, soft brushed surface for comfort. A favorite of bush pilots, year-round guides, and anyone who works or hunts in the cold. Relaxed shoulders, large armholes give freedom of movement. Abrasion and wind-resistant. Large expandable pockets, adjustable cuffs, back pleat and hanging loop, distinctive "C.C. Filson Co. 1897" buttons. Imported.

Many of their coats are made from imported fabric. Their Waterproof Wingshooting Jacket is imported.

10. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

I love the concept of the stores and have had a ton of success in finding great prices in their buildings in the past. I shop the bargain cave for deals and often find great ones!! The gun prices arent really that bad at all. I have had them match competitors and they honored the sale price.

As for the import comments, I would bet that the mom and pop shops that everyone names have the same proportion of imported items as the big box boys. The same guys that complain LOUDLY about price are the same ones who COMPLAIN about imports. Would you pay twice as much for everything to have it come from the U.S? I doubt that you would! You cannot have it both ways.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Brian, do you have Japanese blood in you by chance?

(Can't blame you for shooting the banjo, though...)

12. Brian in Oregon

Japanese blood? Only Japanese vehicles. Oh, and a couple of Miroku Brownings.

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brian, I hear the guys from West Virginia go there for vacation. LOL, Bulge.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I recently bought 7 cases of AAs at $71.99 (local price match)for a total of 503.93. They activated the gift card I received in the mail for $150.00. They gave me another $50.00 for opening their credit card. Now my cost for 7 flats is 303.93. Then there is the Winchester $100.00 rebate to bring those 7 flats to 203.93. I sell the hulls for 35.00 / 1,000 so that's another 61.25 back for a final cost of 142.68 for 7 flats. Works out to 20.38 per flat. Cost me about twice as much money and a whole lot more time to reload. And they're made in the USA.

I really don't mind Cabela's, but I don't go there when I desperately need something. I shop the ads and watch the mail.

Bob

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Alot of the pictures Brian put up look like the one in Fort Worth, it's pretty neat, could spend a day in there and not see it all, but they are opening one in Allen Tx it's only about 25 miles away, wish I had some spare money laying around, I miss the gun of the month club

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the Cabelas store in Lacey better than the one in Reno but you can find some decent prices on used guns in the Reno store's inventory. As for everything else, internet shopping is the way to go.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I live close to the one in MI. nice place to look and window shop but rarely do I pull the trigger.

Found a few deals in the bargin cave but it's been a few years.

They have a nice Zoo of dead animals if your into all that.

Their flyer kicks out some proposed deals on ammo on occaision but every time I show up to buy they are sold out in the early AM. hours.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

They serve a great bowl of chili!

19. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Hey Brian, I would venture to say you haven't seen half the store. It would take a month of Sundays to see everything at a Cabelas store. Go back again and you'll see whole exibits that you'll swear weren't there the first time. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

20. ralph barnes

ralph barnes TS Member

Brian: great store, was there also this weekend....waterfowl festable. I met our son up from coos bay...understand maybe a Cabela's going in at Springfield.
    When the grandkids come from out of state it's always...can we go to the Cabela's store.....sure twist my arm. smile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.