1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIRST TRY AT TRAP PHOTOGRAPHY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Tried about 10 times to get it right.. Finally got one..!! I guess I need a better lens..
    blkcloud_2009_221153.jpg

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

looks pretty good to me

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Me too.
    Don

4. GI

GI Member

Needs more of the gal in the picture, otherwise looking good!

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I find the subject's faces more interesting. If you're seeking fabulous shots of targets breaking in flight then you need a better camera and lenses, yes.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Good Pic. Most take a lot of tries and a shooter who is very consistent in their shot timing. When you get a good one like that it makes it all worthwhile.

--- Chip King ---

7. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

To have both the shooter and the bird in clear focus will require depth of field considerations. A steady hold is also desired.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think it looks great considering the distance, unless all you want to see is the broken target ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If your camera has multiple/continuous shooting you can take a number of photos in seconds.

10. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

she appears to have her head where it belongs not crunched over

11. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

To get both the gunner and the target both in focus you have to set your camera to the smallest aperture (i.e. f22). The smaller the aperture (Higher f-Number) the greater the depth of field (Stuff in focus). To freeze the action (which happens quite nicely in your photo by the way) you have to shoot (ha, ha) the subject with a higher shutter speed. The problem becomes that to get the faster the shutter speed the more you usually have to open the aperture. Solution- try this on a bright sunny day.

Your picture is a great example of selective focus. This means that you (as the photographer) have directed the viewer to look at the broken target because our eyes tend to focus on only the things in focus in a picture.

Sorry for the long winded comment. (I am an Art teacher with a background in photography).

Good luck with your future photo shoots...

12. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

MMcVitty

Thanks for the comments. Since y9u seem knowledgeable in this area, I'm hoping to pick your brain for a couple of specifics. I understand the f-stop suggestion...the higher the better. It also seems that the length of the lens would make a difference. Would a photographer need a long telephoto lens to capture a sharp image of both the shooter and the target - about 50 yards between the two.

Thanks for any input.

Larry

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

John, As far as Trapshooters go, your dressed up ... Good hit also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Length of the lens only affects your zoom capability. You can do that shot with a fixed lens by just adjusting your position when you snap the picture. I have a high quality portrait lens that I use from time to time for some of this type of stuff and it is a fixed 50mm. The one other tip if you are using a digital camera is to speed up the ISO which will allow you to still get stop motion with your higher shutter speed setting. As said before, a bright day is nice but don't overlook the value of a bright but overcast day..if that makes sense.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

One benefit of a longer lens is space compression. This is a phenomena where objects in the background look closer to the subject than they really are.

gun-target-1.jpg

This image was taken from about the same place as yours, and the target was about the same distance away, but it looks closer. This is due to a longer lens setting.

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The girl's stock looks like it has alot of castoff.

17. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Scooter, I didnt notice that until you pointed it out.. must be a optical illusion..?? its pretty well straight..

18. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Another aspect of long focal length lenses that works against using them in shots like these is that they have a very narrow depth of field. You frequently see this in long-distance wildlife shots - everything in front of and behind the animal is blurry. It's easy to confirm this - try focusing a long lens on a football field or something else with clear indications of distance (a large parking lot with lines will also do). You will immediately see that the lines in front of and behind the one you focus on are not sharp.

Ted K.

19. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

One I got on Sunday.....

stonewallracing_2008_17071.jpg

20. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Here's a picture I took the other day at our club in Victoria, TX. The shot-string really stands out in the picture with the wad right behind it.

mikehessongmh_2008_030318.jpg

Here's a picture of "the man" himself (Leo Harrison III) smoking a first target in a doubles event in San Antonio, TX during the recent Southwestern Grand trapshoot.

mikehessongmh_2008_03035.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.