1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Trip to the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomr1, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomr1

tomr1 Member

This will be my first trip to the Grand and not sure what to expect. I'm going to talk to different gun vendors and shoot and handful to compare. Any certain dates/times that are better to explore "vendors row"?

2. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Tom, Timing depends on your squadding and when you shoot. Any time is great to head down vendors row. My tip would be to pick a bank that you can sit in your car to see when your up next. Vendors row is great. Enjoy and keep cool!

3. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

It is great to spend time on vendors row but remember your first reason being there is to shoot well. You will tire yourself out walking up and down vendors row and looking at all the goodies. The "Big Dog Pros" usually shoot then get into someplace cool and rest between events. It is a huge place and you will wear yourself out.You can play with all the guns after you shoot.

Shoot well and often!

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

4. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

DRINK WATER and lots of it...my first time was last year and it was HOT!!!!

5. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

I went to my first (and only, so far) Grand in 2007.

Some notes from a California boy who was visiting the mid west for the first time;

Everyone is friendly and waves at you when you drive down a country road; they are NOT giving you "the finger". Just being polite. Even to someone with California plates.....amazing. Be sure to wave back.

It was HOT that week, 100+ every day, and everyone I met apologized for the hot weather; they were in the middle of a dry spell....

I took too many clothes; there was a laundry in my hotel.

I didn't take enough money; I spent like I actually had some to spend.

Take a big frigging floppy hat, and lots of suntan lotion. You will go thru it fast, unless you LIKE being sunburned ....

Everyone is VERY polite.

I stopped on the side of the road outside of Sparta to watch an electrical storm (we don't get those in SoCal). People pulled over by the dozens to make sure I was ok. My car had the same Cal. plate in it then that it did at the beginning of my post. They don't hate Californians nearly as much as some would have you believe. I was dumbfounded. Makes me want to move to Ill. really. no kidding.

They grow two things in those fields; corn, and (soy) beans, If it isn't one, it's the other. No need to ask. If you can't tell corn from beans, please stay home and sell your guns. You have no business with them.

The food I ate in the restaurants was great; and there was plenty of it. Plan on gaining weight. Take loose clothes; your pants will fill up quickly.

Cowboy hats are acceptable, although some called me "Tex". I'm a Californian. I just like cowboy hats.

The cops are (or were) all over the place. In talking with several, I learned that they were not there to stop "gun violence" from occuring; they were there to make sure my guns didn't get up and walk off by themselves. Nice. A welcome change from the local SWAT team showing up to arrest a kid with a BB gun.

On the other hand, if you rent a golf cart on the grounds of the WSRC, don't throw something out of it if you are drunk and driving the cart; they will arrest you for DUI if you smart off.....and you will deserve it. Don't drink and drive, <i>anything!</i>

Remember to wave back, smile, and say "hello" to people; they will, and so should you.

Figure how much money you think you will need, and double it. Triple that. then double that. That's a start. Every vendor on the row had something that I absolutely had to have.....

I had a great time; I hope you do too!

Rifle racks in the back of pickup trucks are not for show; they are for rifles. Imagine that in the People's Demokratic Republik of Kalifornia.
    (Hello? SWAT Team?)

John Malcolm

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

My dad has a saying about going on any kind of trip.

Figure out how much money you need and how many clothes to bring.

Then take twice as much money and half as many clothes.

Scott

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I figure at least 4 quarts of liquid daily. Water and 0 Poweraid are my choices. I stay away from sugar, caffein and alcohol drinks. Keeping hydrated is very important for your health. You will encounter warm & hot weather there.Clyde

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

That particular part of Illinois is packed with very nice, very friendly people. They are not at all like the Illinois politicians from Chicago. Chicago politicians should be limited to two terms. One in office and one in prison and it seems that many of them are limited in that fashion. Oh, and it is hot there but its hot everywhere in the midwest in August.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Good advice there Clyde!!! Your body needs a gallon of water a day min.!!! Sugar,caffein and "Alcohol" all make your body lose water. Have fun up there and stay cool of you can. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

John.

I remember shooting with you on a handicap event on your trip.
    It was great meeting and shooting with a TS . comer.

I was trolling with my TS.com hat and you were about the only to respond to my bait. Guess i will see if I can still find the hat and try my luck this year.

Looks like I am restricted to a day trip this year.

Ed. Torbeck/ hilltopper.

s

11. John55

John55 Active Member

Ed,
    Did you formerly live in Vandalia, IL? If so, just a shout from an old night derby pal from days gone by! John S.

12. skeet2day

skeet2day Active Member

Southside Ribs,903 S Saint Louis St, Sparta, IL (618) 443-2200 ?

We pretty much eat here almost evey night and also have lunch here a lot of the time...very simple...just plain good food and nice folks...their smoked pork chop is to die for and their bread pudding is out of this world.

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I enjoyed John's comments about the Grand and Sparta. I beleive the people in Sparta go out of their way to be hospitable. A little heat is not so bad, at least they have ice water behind the traps for everyone and they do keep them full. Sure beats the Vandalia warm drinking fountains.

Maybe some day I will win a trophy ?????

Charlie

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

John Malcolm--Your welcome back in our neck of the woods anytime. I guess i never noticed some of the things you pointed out as i pretty much have lived here all my life. I don't think us locals do anything different when the Grand is in town. It's just the way we are. You help your neighbors and nobody is a stranger. I think most all of the fellas here were raised that way too though. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of life we forget our roots.---Matt

15. Donm

Donm Active Member

Scott Calhoun. That is great. My wife and I are going to Europe next spring. Could you have a talk with her.

16. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

If you get to hot you can go to the EMS trailor and get an IV.

17. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Thanks to Z-40 and Matt, I appreciate your nice thoughts.

Ed, good luck at The Grand! We had some fun, didn't we? Would've had MORE fun if we'd actually won something.....

Thank you all for your support; see you next year.

I sure wish they had "G-2" gatorade back in '07. I can't drink sugared drinks, so the G2 would have been perfect..... If you take your own 1/2 liter water bottles, you can add the "mix it yourself" powder to it.....cheaper when you drink it by the gallon....take lots of water, either way. You will sweat so much that the fluid replacement becomes mandatory.

Both my brothers are combat veterans, and they say that in hot weather, if you don't have to pee, you aren't drinking enough fluid.....guess I can learn something from that.....

John Malcolm

[​IMG]

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

i've lived in both California and Illinois

People in southern Illinois are nice because they figure you must be a neighbor or why else would you be there.

In California, if they don't know you, they just assume you're there to
    rob or cheat them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.