1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First trip to Sparta need some info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686beretta, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

We are planning our first trip to Sparta going out for 1 day leaving on 8/12 shoot the Grand then come home.

We need recommendations for hotels withing 30-50 miles of the shoot. Please include numbers as-well-as places to AVOID.

Thanks everybody!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Avoid The Budget INN and the Sparta Motel in town Sparta and they likely have vacancy for those dates. There is a reason for that. The best and probably only remaining area to stay with rooms likely still remaining are the Shiloh, O'Fallon and Fairview Heights, IL areas. These towns all run together off I-64 and are about 40-45 minutes drive on well kept two lane roads. You will have to search for the various hotels as there are lots in that area. That area also has alot of restaurants and shopping as well. It is also a realitively safe area.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Fairfield Inn in Fairview Heights. Stayed there a few times and was pleased.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. grntitan

My personal favorite is the "Four Seasons" in Fairview Heights, IL. I have stayed there 3 times and it was very nice and clean every time we stayed. Lots to do and eat around there as well.

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Death to those of you that enter the Sparta Motel........WAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA................

D.P.Reynolds................Been THERE done THAT.....take my word,for I survived......WAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

6. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

I've used the Comfort Inn in Perryville MO three times; reasonable rates, clean, etc. Lots of restaurants near it and it had a good continental breakfast. It's about 45 miles which took about an hour to drive to the WRSC due to two lane highway, and speed limits through Chester and Sparta.

Bob Mizner

7. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If you are only there for one night, it is very easy to stay in some of the hotels in St. Louis. In the Fenton area, there are number of hotels just off the I-255. Also there are a bunch off of some earlier exits. Either of these are only about a 50 mile drive to the complex via 3 highway and 154 highway. Both of these are very good 2 (sometimes 4) lane highways.

8. undersluice

undersluice Member

Guys - Can you be a little more specific around what the problem is with Sparta motel ? From the pictures on their website, does not seem to come across as decent property but any "insider" info would help.

Thanks,
    JB

9. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

What direction are you coming from , I stay in Okawville,IL. , to the North.
    I have stayed down the road to the east at Best Western as well.
    One Day.!!!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

There have been some very factual posts here about the Sparta Inn. Google it and see. Jake

11. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Here's two you might try: Super-8 in Waterloo Ill. 618-939-2020 Approximately 40 miles away or Hampton Inn in Columbia Ill. 618-281-9000, 48 miles. Plenty of watering holes in either community and nice resturants.

12. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

"DO NOT" stay at the Executive Inn in Belleville, Ill. It is a total crap hole. We are constantly making arrests there for drugs, prostitution & well you name it. A real dump but the pictures they advertise make it look great.
    Colonel

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

The Sparta Motel is a shtt hole..............
    Let me explain...............
    My son,and I went to the SCTP championship in 2009,and stayed at Motel Hell.
    First,and foremost........I've been in third world countries that were more sanitary than that place( I kid you not).Thats just the tip of the iceburg.While we stayed there we couldn't figure out what the stench was that was iminating from our room.After a lengthy search we looked in the window unit(AC),and found massive growth of mold(some of which was not known to science at that time)in said unit.Both my son,and I came down with a lung infection that took up to 6 weeks to get rid of.Cold day in hell before I EVER go near that place again.I'd rather sleep in cow pasture than that shtt hole.
    You have been warned,but now that I say that if you are still interested in Motel Hell.........give them a call.....I'm sure they have a vacancy waiting just for you!!!!!!!!

D.P.Reynolds P.S..........If it burned to the ground the city of Sparta would be better off,or at least they would get rid of their mold problem.LOL

14. shothouse

shothouse TS Member

Here is a few in the area that I would recommend. Red Bud Country Inn 618 282-4444 about 30 minutes away. Reids Best Western in Chester 618 826-3034 about 40 miles.

15. grntitan

Is this specific enough????

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iCe1HVetVKw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iCe1HVetVKw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

He isn't going to get in to Reids. Not at this date.

Try Waterloo Super 8 (about 30 minutes west), anything in Fairview Heights, Shiloh, O'Fallon, the La Quinta in Mascoutah, Pinckneyville, Nashville, or Okawville.

Also Perryville, MO as mentioned above.

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Wow, got my attention.

Regards.....Gerald

18. grntitan

And people stay there all week long. There are workers for the local Power Plant construction that stay there all week long. I personally don't see why the City has not condemed the place. It must pass what ever lax codes are on the books.

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Not to be prejudicial, but most of the places like that in my area are run by Middle Easterners.

A pop-up would be a luxury.

20. grntitan

over the hill---Good guess!!! Pakistan i believe. I was suprised when Osama BL wasn't found there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.