1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First trip Gamaliel...left disappointed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686beretta, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Made it up there for the first time late last week.Had plans of maybe trying to trade a couple of guns for a couple of guns a give some money to boot. The gentleman who handles those deals wouldn't even bother to look at my guns. Anyone else had this experience, as I said I left disappointed.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Probably worried about medical insurance. Found out yesterday my wife's medical alone will be an extra $1200 a year.

Bob Falfa

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What did you bring him to trade?

4. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I have traded with them in past with no issues at all. Nice folks to deal with. jim w.

5. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

Never tried to trade with him, but I have picked up some nice used guns at fair prices. I imagine he doesn't bother with guns that he knows he can't turn a good profit on or will be sitting on for a while.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have both traded and outright purchased Trap guns from Gamaliels at their showroom at the Grand. I found it easy to make the deal. I also left feeling like I got a great deal. I dealt directly with Geoff the owner. Perhaps the items you had just didn't interest them.

7. Rebe

Rebe TS Member

I have been doing business with Gamaliel since the late 1970's. Garron Pare (the original owner)and all of his family are wonderful folks to do business with and sorry to hear your first trip there was not to your liking. Perhaps give Geoff a call and talk with him.---- Rebe Trickey

8. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

One gun was an 1100 Remington Trap the other was a 30 06 Marlin Lever action

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Tell me more about the 30-06 Marlin lever action. Sounds interesting.

GneJ

10. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

sorry hippie I meant 30-30 I was talking something over with a co-worker and typing, apparently we were talking about his 30-06.

11. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've had to learn to check my ego at the door when trying to trade guns. Seems they are never worth what I think they are. As far as Gamaliel is concerned I've been dealing with them since the mid 90's, both in person and mail order. I've been very pleased. They have been supporting the shooting sports for a long time.

12. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

As a collector of guns, I could perhaps see why they may not have been interested. While I would expect both pieces are nice enough, neither is a "gem" if you would that could potentially be profitable. They are in business to make money, and have to invest theirs accordingly. I would suggest selling them yourself to the general public rather than trading as you are likely to come away with a bit more.

-Cliff

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Customer relations should dictate that the sales person explain his rationale rather than simply turning the prospect away.

If you want to see arogance, go to Gander Mountain since they decided they have to make 40 per cent profit on all used guns.

HM

14. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Halfmile- You are correct on Gander Mountain. The store here in Amarillo is a joke. Their guns and ammo are higher than anyone else in town, even if they are on sale. Charlie

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

HM- 40% profit? Your GM is more generous than mine, mine only pays 50c on the dollar of what bluebook says (50% profit). It was 70c on the dollar when they opened (30% profit).

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Sounds like you missed the deals on ammo and reloading supplies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.