1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greenhorn, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

As the handle implies, I am pretty new to trap shooting. I am currently shooting a friend's Diamond Grade Trap O/U and want to purchase a gun of my own. I have shot multiple guns (BT99's, Citori's, etc.). I haven't been super impressed with any of them thus far, mainly due to fit issues. I recently passed on a Ljutic that fit well but had a cracked stock(JS recoil reduction) that scared me away; the owner was asking 1500 with the gun in otherwise good condition. I have 1600 to spend, so my question is what to buy. Do I keep shopping, or pick up the Ljutic and hope the stock holds up? ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

If you shoot it well, why not buy it the save up and send it in over the winter for a tune up and repair ..?

3. Brad*90T

Brad*90T Member

Myself I would be leary of a cracked stock. Keep trying guns until you find the one that works for you. My personal favorite is the Remington 90T, but it is not for everyone. Good Luck and break 'em all.

Brad

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Check out a decent used BT-99 for a first gun.They shoot great.Find one original that hasn`t had the stock cut or been messed with.You can pick one up for around $800 to $1000 in really good shape.And you can get your money back down the road if you ever decide to sell or upgrade.And a BT 100 is awesome.Thats a shooting machine.I love my Citori Combo!!!!! Tom

5. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

I actually shot the Ljutic really well. I took it to the local gunsmith who thought he might be able to fix it with acroglass (sp?)for around $300. I have a first class target gun shop close, but with that first class shop come first class prices; needless to say, I haven't found a BT for less than 1300 in decent condition. Thanks for the advice so far.

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Gun fit is number one. If the Ljutic fits you and you shoot it well, I would go with it, It's a lot of gun for under $2000 when repaired.

I owned and shot a BT for nine years with a big crack behind the tang, I bought that way and sold it in the same condidtion. As far as I know it never failed, so who knows, you may get away with no repair or maybe not,

Surfer

7. plaw

plaw Active Member

buy the ljutic and you can find a used stock for a song.they are without a doubt the best made gun ever!

8. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

^plaw, If you see one "for a song" point me in that direction. The ones I've seen have been pretty long songs >$400.

9. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Look for a bt-99 plus

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't overlook a Remington 1100 Trap or a Beretta 391 Trap. Either is well in yoru price range, and these are excellent starter trap guns. With the amount you have to spend, you could get one of these plus an adjustable stock and butt plate.

Leo Harrison III did quite well with an 1100 for many years.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You better jump on that Ljutic if it fits you for that price. What a steal. You may shoot that gun the rest of your life. Fix the stock or buy a use one. I've got a nice one I'd sell for $300.00. And there are lot of others.

12. alf174

alf174 Member

Buy the Ljutic, inject some glue where its cracked if it bothers you that much and keep your eyes out for an inexpensive replacement stock or until you save up for a nice one.

13. wrd

wrd Member

A BT 99 will last forever and not need yearly and expensive "tune-ups". You can buy a new Grade 1 for about $1200 if you look around. The saying has always been " If you cannot hit with a BT 99, you are not going to hit with anything else either."
    Why buy a more expensive, used and broken gun before you know if you are going to stick with the sport?

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If it was my decision and had your choices mentioned above. I'd buy the Ljutic and follow Alf174s advice. Glue the crack and shoot it till you can afford to have a like stock made the fits you even better!

The fact you shoot the Ljutic well with the stock as is, is worth far more than a shotgun costing less money with an ill fitting stock. Choosing another gun may cost a tad less but more in the long run!! In order to shoot it with any consistency would also require a fitted to you stock in addition?? One more point; you may become discouraged with shooting an ill fitted gun and give up and that would be a shame? That due to ill advice??

Hap

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Buy the Ljutic. It's a great price and you won't have to worry
    about mechanical repairs. You should be able to find a stock for $200.00

16. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

If you decide to pass on the Ljutic, please give me the details because I will buy sight unseen..As everyone has stated, buy it, shoot it, then fix it..

Arrggh...

Capt. Ron

17. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

Sounds like I should've jumped on the Ljutic. The gun is still available, but will take some time to get. I will post pics when I have it.

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

LJUTIC.....by all means at that price. So what if it costs $2-300 to fix. They're built like a tank. Don't pass up that deal.

19. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Got aWinchester Super X 1 Custom Trap. Its 98% + condition. $850 plus getting it to u. Let me know if u want pics. Blue books for $925. Have original box it came in. A real safe queen. Mike

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

LJUTIC.... go for it.... especially if the stock can be stabilized. You can always find a used stock.
    Hard to beat a good shooting L gun that fits you.
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
buying a first trap gun

first trap gun

first trap shooting gun
first trapshooting gun