1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First tomato of the year out of our garden

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dahaub, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Hey guys we have a new tomato plant this year and it's given up two ripe tomatoes already. The other plants we have have got a few very small green tomatoes but no ripe ones. This plant is a cherry tomato plant and when I bought our sets I bought the largest ones the store had and a couple of those were almost a foot tall. This plant is one of those early bloomers. This is the earliest I've ever heard about locally when a regular plant put out an edible fruit that wasnt' grown in a hot house. I would say nany nany poopoo but I really want the big boys to ripen up and we can have some of the best treats when we get them sliced and put some bread in the broiler with a slice of velvetta and a thick slice of tomato and a couple strips of juicy fried bacon-------mmmmmmmmmm--mmmmmmmmm. When the edges of the cheese turn black she's done and be careful of that hot cheese. What a treat. OH don't forget to pre toast the bread and also to pre-fry the bacon to juicy fried, not crispy and set the toaster on the weakest setting it's got. Then put the treat together and in the broiler they go. You will want to make about three of those for each hungry hiker.

2. Kent

Kent TS Member

What!!! No pictures? LOL

3. bocephus

bocephus Member

He probably swallowed the evidence

4. oz

oz Active Member

get a life. oz

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jes our tulips just came out. 28 degrees this morning!

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Holy Jeepers Bill, How far North of civilization are you?? LOL. Shoot well and have fun while we can, Bob

7. DJM

DJM Member

Here in central Minn. I just planted our tomatoes this last weekend and last night we had scatterred frost. My plants look OK but when is the global warming going to kick in? Don

8. bocephus

bocephus Member

Sorry but global warming is about over, just as soon as obama gets his carbon tax in place.

9. Bob Hawkes

"Frozen tomato's" WOW, where do these thoughts come from? Glad I didn't ask that. LOL, Bob

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My neighbour has some beautiful tomatoes growing and they are actually quite tasty in salads or sliced with Red Wine Vinegar and Oil ... He keeps looking for the ripe ones and almost got one that I missed a week or so ago ... I told him that he should bread and fry some green ones up and enjoy them while he can ... He thinks the rabbits are eating them because he said them Jack rabbits love his tomatoes too ... My wife was going to buy some and take them over to him and tell him she picked them up off of the ground ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

We have several, we'll doing a deck garden now, will put in some rows in the yard later.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The damn things are getting ripe faster than I can eat them ... What the hell is going on ..? How much salad can one or two people eat for crying out loud ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Frost two mornings this week here! I am on the balmy southern shores of Lake Superior. Bill

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Here's where we are in the Puget Sound country.

15. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

We got ours about july 5 slow at 1st, but now about 2 to 3 a day from our deck gargen, 2 tomato bushes. Only 1 zuchi, water melons maybe, hot peppers very good, herbs very good growth.
    Railroad

16. Bob Hawkes

Eastern Mass and I've got flowers coming on the plants now. The first tomato is a long way in the future this year. Last month and a half have been 6+ degrees below normal.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

We have four plants of Cherry tomatoes and have been picking them for almost two months now but they are starting to give out now. Two weeks ago I picked a five gallon bucket almost full from those four bushes, it's amazing how they produce. I have new okra plants and red bell peppers that are just starting to bud out. Second crop of cucumbers are just starting to produce. Oh, and it's hard to beat a mater samich(tomato sandwich) when the tomatoes are fresh out the garden. Jackie B.

18. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Here is a quick recipe for all those tomatoes.

Slice them about 1/4 inch thick. Place a layer of them in a flat bottomed bowl or pyrex baking pan. Sprinkle with Italian Herbs, Salt & Pepper. Drizzle Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil over them and then do another layer. Let them marinate for a few hours or overnight. Great as a salad or side dish. If you use regular vinegar, then you may want to sprinkle a bit of sugar on them, or maybe not!

Here is another.

Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Add a slice of Mozzarella and top with a sprig of Basil. Drizzle with Olive Oil. Can be served on toasted slices of French Bread. If Costco still has the Mozzarella that has Prosciutto and Basil rolled inside, all the better!

Nothing like home grown tomatoes!

Gene

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I hope you all gain 25lbs and split your britches bending over to pick up empties : P have a little pity for a guy on a diet will ya??

20. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Got my first tonight. A little small, but none-the-less a home grown tomato. Lots are turning, and they are much larger. A few days away from single slice sandwich size. Have already eaten squash, zuccini, and green beans from garden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.