Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Timer...

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  waverider 
#1 ·
Just wanted to find someone and tell them that I tried trapshooting for the first time Friday night and had a blast! It was so much fun that I am meeting an instructor tonight for a couple more rounds! I have never been a shotgun person. I'm not sure that I had ever fired a shotgun before Friday night. I haven't held a long gun of any kind since my pre-teens (I'm 33 as of this past Monday...). I have some friends who have been shooting trap and skeet for a couple of years and we have been trying to find the time to get together and go. Friday, we went, along with several men from the church and had a great time of it. I shot 19/25 and now I think I'm hooked. I'm going to keep using the guns at the gun club for a while to get a feel for different kinds and see whether the newness wears off for me, but I'm already checking prices on guns...

Anyway, just needed to find some people who could understand and share my enthusiasm for what I hope becomes my new hobby!!!

Kevin

#3 ·
Welcome Kevin and I certainly understand your enthusiasm! I started two years ago and it totally consumes me. My whole family participates. You are wise to seek instruction early, and to wait on the first gun purchase. You will be inundated with "advice"... my recommendation is to listen, read, shoot--listen, shoot, read, more, etc. Learn what advice you get is valuable and germane to you alone.

We've found Trap shooters to be a very friendly bunch. Maybe it's because they like it when someone new becomes infected with their beloved disease!

Where are you located? I encourage you to get involved with some form of competition just as early as the opportunity presents itself. I started with local leagues and have since graduated to ATA competitions.

Enjoy!

Guy Babin

MD.

#6 ·
You will get addicted.

I started last April and only shot 11/25. On Sunday, I shot my first 100/100 next to a former All-American. What a blast.

Enjoy the ride. You meet a lot of great people and a few jerks.

My advice is take a two day clinic from one of the great shooters ASAP. Typically they run about $300. Best investment you can make.

Don

#7 ·
Kevin,
Congratulations and welcome aboard! I myself was bit by the Trap Bug around June '07 timeframe. I had shot Bunker about 25 years ago and had been hunting on and off since then, but no clays. I like it so much that I may trade my field 870 XSM for a dedicated trap gun. Hey if you plan to be in the Northern VA area, there are a few ranges out here - Bull Run in Manassas, Winchester GC in (well) Winchester and too many more to mention.

Thanks
Rohit

#8 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I live on the Northeast side of Indianapolis, so I am shooting at the Indiana Gun Club in Fortville. I spent an hour with Bob Self last night. He is a super nice guy and helped me with some basic form things (stance, timing, sight-picture, etc.) One of the things I had to adapt to last night was shooting with both eyes open. I had basically been "rifle shooting" Friday night with my right eye closed, but Bob put a piece of tape on my shooting glasses to blur the right eye at the sighting point so I could keep it open. Even with all the things I was trying to learn and concentrate on I think I shot about 42/50. (We weren't really counting since we were concentrating more on form.) I was using a Browning BT100 from the club.

So now I have a stupid question...
I read descriptions of shotguns saying they have a right hand swell. Since I shoot lefty, would it really make that large of a difference to get a left-hand stock?

Thanks again for your support while I come to terms with my new "disease"!

Kevin

#10 ·
Kevin
It's hard to stay off of this sight. I have a blast reading some of the comments.
Some of these guys are hilarious. But as with any open forum there is plenty of BS going around. Anyway, I also shoot lefty and my gun that I purchased slightly used has a right hand palm swell and it really doesn't bother me at all. Lefty's have to get used to a lot of things in this world that others don't seem to notice. It really has not been a factor for me. I just shot my first 50/50 two weeks ago and I really only got serious this yr. i shoot at Evansville and there are a couple of guys who shoot very well that have helped me tremendously.After my gun was fitted to me my scores went way up. I just watch the guys who are bustin all the birds and practice every chance that I get. I also have a class scheduled with Harlan Campbell.

#12 ·
Putting tape in front of your right eye implies that your right eye may be your dominate eye. If that is the case seriously consider giving shooting right handed a good try. Especially since you are just starting out. Also, it is a right handed world out there.

To me putting a tape on your glasses is a last resort and only a little better than closing the off eye. You still do not have your full field of vision. With Trap shooting it is only a slight handicap because the field of view of one eye covers all possible flight paths a target will take. If you get into Sporting Clays/5 Stand then you will be at a disadvantage.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.