1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First time skeet shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

So I've been shooting trap for about two years now, but I just picked up an 1100 and decided to get into shooting skeet. I thought it would be kind of like shooting double trap which I do pretty well at, but it is WAY different. I scored a 5/25, which I was pretty pleased with, but it could definitely use some improvement. I have no idea how much to lead the targets on any of the stations, and I will take any advice I can get. Hopefully someone from my gunclub will want to help me out too.

Kyle

2. Salt

Salt Member

6 inches on 1 and 7, 1 1/2 feet on 2 and 6, 3 feet on 3 and 5, 4 ft on 4 and 2 inches on 8. That works for me. Salt

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What choke do you have in your 1100? HMB

4. coling

coling Member

Download and print out the images on the Remington Skeet Shooting Guide.

4' is very difficult to understand at 30' - I think more in terms of barrel width for the lead.

Colin

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Todd Bender is the skeet guru. Google is your friend. Shotgunworld has a good skeet subforum. Don't let the trappers give you grief. It's all good. Mark

6. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

The only thing doubles trap and skeet have in common is the use of a shotgun and clay targets. Check your choke, it should be no tighter than an IC. Also the lead on 3,4,and 5 is quite a bit, especially 4. Best advice is to read up on the sport and get someone to help you at your club. Also knowing where to hold the gun before calling for the bird will help, that way it does not get a jump on you.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find someone at your club that is a good skeet shooter. Shoot a round of skeet with him. Let him go first and you follow his lead. Watch where he puts his feet on each shot, and where he holds his gun on each target, and do exactly what he does. HMB

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side - there's more of us over here than will usually admit to it in public.

I shoot a lot of trap, and I'm starting to shoot a lot more skeet. To me, anything that involves a shotgun and a shell and a target is fun - I don't much care which way the dang thing flies.

I took John Shima's clinic. Well worth it, if you get a chance. He added about 6 or 7 birds to my average.

Welcome, have fun, and as Oregunner said, don't let the trap shooters give you grief.

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

51U2QK8noHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

"Mastering Skeet" by King Heiple is the best book on skeet ever written.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Skeet-Fundamental-Techniques-Championship/dp/0811733610/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336060983&sr=1-1#_

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Used to shoot a LOT of skeet and finally got averages up to where I was AA in all gauges and doubles (except .410 where the best I could do was A class). Good advice in postings above, especially the skeet fundamentals...also postings on Youtube. Got to use a skeet or ImpCyl choke! with light loads and keep the gun swinging. Skeet is a lot of fun and can help at trap with hard rights and lefts. Best Regards, Ed

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The M1100 is a good skeet gun but make sure you are using an open choke. If you have a fixed choke gun you might want to get a skeet barrel to play this game - it does make a difference.

As far as figuring out the lead distances, that will come with practice but you really don't want to get locked into a lot of exacting detail as it tends to get you into riding the target which equates to bead checking. With experience you will just know when the target picture looks right and its time to get on the trigger.

What I really like about skeet is that I can use my upland bird guns and improve my skills with those guns and the results do transfer over to better shooting in the field. It is also one game where the .410 is respected and is just plain fun to shoot.

12. SAL328

SAL328 TS Member

I will Help you next Week Kyle. This week was a little busy and I just wanted to relax.
    Steve

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No time for lead in skeet...

14. wm rike

wm rike Member

Most first-time skeeters spend too much time looking at and tracking the bird, let it get pretty far out, then shoot behind it. Unless you're spot-shooting, it takes a pretty brisk swing to shoot skeet well.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

lead is a personal thing it's different for everyone.

I suggest you start by shooting swing through and shoot only 1 particular target until you break it a few times. When beginning you will probably shoot behind the targets just swing through more until you get the hang of each target.

Joe

16. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I love the first line in the reveiw of that Amazon Book.

"Skeet is easy, if you're happy breaking nine out of ten birds. "

Right....

17. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly TS Member

You're on the wrong site

18. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Especially if you are looking for good skeet instruction. :) Mark

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Skeet...Hard to learn...easy to master..

Trap...Easy to learn...can never master..

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used to give out pamphlets that are on the Remington Website now. The link on the post above is that pamphlet.

That and Fred Missildine's book were all I needed.

If you're in my neighborhood I'll be happy to help. (Green Bay, Wis.)

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

average hits for first time skeet shooter

first time skeet average

first time trap and skeet shoot

first time trap shooter