1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Time Pheasant Hunter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

A friend of mine invited me to go on an unguided pheasant hunt in northern New York. As the title of this thread suggests this will be my first pheasant hunt and I need to know what size shot to use, what to wear in the way of camouflage, and any links or instruction on how to clean them. I'll be using a Browning Citori over/ under in 12 gauge 2 3/4 and I have some #4 copper plated nitro pheasant loads by Remington. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Kyle

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Your Browning Citori and #4 shot are excellent...as noted by P3AT, a modified choke is probably best - with an ImpCyl if you are hunting over dogs, otherwise, a modified and full combination. Wear LOTS of blaze orange - hat, shirt, gloves. Hunters get too excited on the flush and pheasants frequently do not fly very high. Stress safety with your partners; I was shot (took pellets in the face and hand) and that RUINS a good hunt. Do not shoot at a downed, running pheasant...you may hit a retriever chasing it down. Great/easy recipe: filet out both sides of breast; put filets in shallow pan and marinate 12+ hours in Italian Salad Dressing (Wishbone or Kraft); wrap filets in bacon strip with toothpicks to hold bacon; cook on medium grill 8 minutes each side. (Got recipe off Kraft foods website.) My wife and grand daughters love it. Best Regards, Ed

3. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I didn't even know there were pheasants in northern New York, but good choice on gun and load. I use a beretta o/u choked IC/Mod with Fiocchi #4's in the midwest. It does the trick. The 4's will put them down for the count.

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

the nice thing about copper plated 4's, thay go through the bird, you wont have to pick shot while cleaning. wear lottsa ORANGE!! and have fun mark

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!

6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

And..... for the guys shooting pumps and autos, make sure they only load two shells. It is the third shell (on a bam-bam-bam swing) that can blow off 1/4 of the guy's head next to them. Mind you, I'm not saying that always happens; there are very safe shooters, regardless of the type gun they use. All I'm saying is, the third shot fired is always the most dangerous...... Mike

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

That's good advice about the third shot...!!!!
    Thanks for sharing that one. I've mostly hunted pheasant in Ohio and Nebraska...over dogs( VERY important distinction). A 20 ga. O/U- Sk/Sk with # 6 shot has never let a flushed bird get away.

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

There are unspoken rules of etiquette of whose bird it is to shoot at. You will most likely be moving single file, perhaps 50 yds apart through moderately thick cover. If a bird goes up IN FRONT OF you, first be sure it's a rooster,then be sure it's in range, then fire away. Don't shoot at birds that might be out of range. Don't shoot at birds that might be someone else's bird. It's real easy to spoil your hunt or someone else's by being too eager. Never, never shoot across a line of hunters to try to kill a bird, it's the closest shooters bird to kill, wound or lose. Mom bakes the parted out pheasant buried in seasoned dressing [stuffing] for a couple of hours. fantastic! Bill Wheeler

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

by single file, I mean shoulder to shoulder, 30 to 50 yds apart. Bill

10. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks everyone for your helpful information. I took one pheasant and I'm hooked so I'll be going again tomorrow!

Kyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.