1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First time out with short rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddbudd, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I bought a Bridge Shoot short rib from Tomas a while back. I installed it on a XT. I just guessed where to put the adjustment for the rib and comb. I didn't get a chance to try it out until Monday. I shot a pair of 23s at a time of evening when the birds were very hard to see. What impressed me most was that I got a good look at the bird it seemed easy again. I haven't had that feeling in a long time. I haven't registered birds in a year and a half but I think I'll head to Bradford, Pa. this weekend for their Good Friday shoot.
    Thanks again Tomas. Best money I've spent in a long time.
    Bud Edwards

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I am hopeing to be at Bradford this weekend as well. Wont have my custom gun with me but I will look for ya!

Jerry Lewis

3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Bud,

How long is your short rib? I am thinking of going that route with my BT-99 project? How high is it?

Thanks, Oscar

4. reddbudd

The rib is about 13 3/4 inches long and 30mm height.
    Bud

5. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

How much weight did it add to your barrel? Was the extra weight noticeable? Did you have to change any hold points due to the extra weight?

6. reddbudd

I don't know what the rib weighs but it is very light. I don't notice much difference. There are two downsides as far as I'm concerned. The first is that I dont really like the look of the sky high comb. But I have always been one who favors function over form. The second is that I don't have a case that the barrels will fit in. I am waiting for delivery of a new case that will solve that problem. All in all I really like the rib and think things will only better as I use it more.
    Bud Edwards

7. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

please share some pics of your SGs with short ribs.

8. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Reddbudd,

Happy to hear the Bridgeshoot add-on rib is working for you. You did buy the very best add-on rib made. Most people who try them are amazed at how easy it is to see the target. Maybe that's why many of the international shooters are going with the higher ribs.

Like you, I didn't care for the looks of the high posts needed when the add-on rib is installed. I made a temporary comb out of a piece of 4 X 4 I had in the garage. Only cost $0.38 for the set screws. I have the add-on rib on a K-80 Standard, and not sure if the K-80 Trap Special stock wouldn't be high enough. None here locally to try. I do know that the distance from the center of the barrel of the unsingle with the add-on rib is the same as the Trap Special. I would have to think the combs should be very close also.

Here's a picture of the K-80 with the temporary comb I made.

I should be getting another order from Bridgeshoot in the next day or two and will have more of the 25 mm and 30 mm add-on ribs.

Tomas

[​IMG]

9. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Check out my new ad in Trapshooters.com Market Place.

I'm receiving a new shipment of ribs from Italy today.

Tomas

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I put a Keen short rib on a plain barrel 1100. Looks weird, feels weird, moves weird, etc. Seems to break the targets well. I think the short rib forces you to look at the target.

11. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I'm curious about the two short ribs that Bridgeshoot offers. Can someone explain how the 25mm (0.984") and 30mm (1.181") rib height was arrived at? I mean they are only 0.2" difference in height. Has there been tests run that show that the rib has to be that high to get favorable results? Why not have a 12mm (0.47") high rib?

12. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I'm not sure how the heights were determined. My guess would be to try to accomodate the different body sizes. Look at the Bridgeshoot web sight and see all the different heights of the long ribs that are offered and used in Europe. Also, I'm sure personal preference would play a big role. One size doesn't fit all.

I do know that Bridgeshoot is working on a 15mm mini-rib and should offer it soon. I'm looking forward to trying the 15 mm mini-rib as it would offer a short rib that most people could use and not have to change the posts on the comb hardware.

Try a mini-rib, you will be surprised how well you can identify and track the target.

Tomas

13. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Ian, are you following this discussion? I know that you have experimented with various types of ribs made out of delrin. Have you done any tests with short, approx 14" long, ribs that are about 1/2" tall? I'm just wondering how high you really have to go on these add on ribs to see substantial improvement? For example, a 1/2" high rib would probably fit in my case whereas a 1" would not. Unless the results of the 1" was substantially better, I would naturally opt for the 1/2".

14. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Tomas said: "I'm looking forward to trying the 15 mm mini-rib as it would offer a short rib that most people could use and not have to change the posts on the comb hardware."

Tomas, please let us know the results after you have tested the 15mm short rib.

15. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Will do. If it's anything like the 25 & 30 mm mini-rib, it will be a success.

Tomas

16. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Received my latest order from Bridgeshoot. I have 3 25mm and 1 30mm mini-ribs that haven't been pre-sold. If interested, please e-mail and I can get the order to you right away.

I'll be putting a For Sale post up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tomas

17. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Wow!! Only 1 25mm and 1 30mm mini-rib left.

Order as many as I can get and can't seem to keep up with the demand. I plan on vending at a shoot the last part of May and am not sure how many ribs I'll have to take with me. That's good!!! :)

Thank you all!!!

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.