1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First time going to Fall Handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Francis Marion, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Going to try this again. I posted this morning, but now it's gone. We are going to the Missouri Fall Handicap for the first time.I've never been to a club or a shoot of this size. Are there any fall Handicap veterans out there that would care to share stories/experiences or let me know what to expect.
    I know you guys ( and gals ) won't disappoint.

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Steve,

The first thing you need to do is to go inside the clubhouse and give them your hard ata card and get classified.

You will then go to the squading room and get the position and squads that you want to shoot.

You will then go to the cashier room and pay your fees.

In most cases you will be able to drive very near to your starting trap.

They have a great breakfast buffet at the club .

Should be lots of venders to shop.

This ought to get you going.

ed.

3. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

A very interesting website is http://www.vrbo.com click on Missouri and then on Osage Beach there all 100's of condos for rent right on the water. Hotels like the Quails Nest back right up to the mall with 120 outlet stores.

Terry.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Don't forget to take a jacket as it can be cool in the mornings.

Also, take along a good pair of boots in case it rains. The ground turns to mud when that happens.

Good luck!

Hauxfan!

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Just keep your eyes and ears open as there is so much going on, it can almost be overwhelming if you have never been to a big shoot. You will hear stories of the past and come to understand some of the reasons that people have become addicted to the sport. You will also have the opportunity to see some of the masters of this sport like Ohye, Harrison, Stafford, Campbell and many others.

The people running the shoot are great and very helpful, if you are confused, just ask and they will help you. The biscuits/gravy and pies are great.

Just enjoy yourself and enjoy some of the scenery of the local area. Best of all, have fun.

6. Francis Marion

I knew I could count on the discussion thread warriors. Great info, keep em' coming

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Presquadding ends today. See link above.

8. Francis Marion

Thanks V10.Had that done weeks ago.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Steve,

I will be set-up vending, and will also be shooting. Come by my booth and say hello! I will be there Wednesday thru Sunday.

Matt Woodson

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Good, then you are mostly set. A large shoot isn't really different than a small one. It's just bigger. ;)

In this case, if your home club has 4 houses, then the Missouri Fall Handicap is like 14 of those shoots all going on at the same time. There are more vendors than what you are probably used to, but that's a good thing. As far as the weather is concerned, you should be ready for anything. But if you've been shooting for even a short time you probably already know to bring clothing for any and all conditions.

There are a lot of very fine restaurants in the area. You should be able to scare up a very good meal each and every night you are there.

All in all, if someone doesn't have a good time at the Missouri Fall Handicap, it's their own fault.

Good luck.

11. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

I Hear Tim Bowman aka 9 guns from Bakersfield Ca is gonna be there. He can match his hdcp score with miller lights . Should be a good time.

12. Francis Marion

Matt, I will definately stop by. Thanks

13. Arkie

Arkie Member

Allways remember to go to Randys Custurd it is right across from Quails Nest Motel. It is the best. One of the best evening eats is at Camp Bagnell Resturant, go toward Jeff City on RT. 54 to county road V turn right about a mile you can not miss it. Have lots of fun and if you like to have a cold drink I will be camped at Bank 3 or 4 there will be 3 campers together. Maybe see you there. Rick

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Steve, we'll take you up to Randy's for a frozen custard if you can find us.

Martin and Devi Wilbur

15. Francis Marion

I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint. Thanks again. I will make a list and see who I can find when I get there.

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

If you like any kind of barbecue, you have to try Bandanna's on the main drag around Osage Beach. The building looks like a galvanized corn crib, but is really nice inside with the best ribs you ever had.

You'll like it!!

Go inside and you will see where it got it's name.

Danny

17. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Randy's custard is perfect after a meal at the Happy Fisherman right across the street.

Take shorts, short sleeved shirts, sneakers, long pants, sweatshirts, boots, rain coat, just take everything. I have shot the Fall Handicap week in shorts, and with long underwear on in the same week. This time of year the weather can change fast in the midwest.

18. Flyboyerv

Flyboyerv TS Member

Take me with you Steve!!!!

Keith

19. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

all great advice but dont forget the winter clothing and plenty of dry socks!!!! have fun and break em all !( you have to to win)

20. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you want to cashier more than once for the whole shoot, try to come into the office at mid-day, when the line is shorter...early mornings will have a long line, but it does go quickly. On Thursday, stay around for the free hot dog roast and fun games, on Saturday there is a free shooter's dinner and special event, don't forget to check out the silent auction, proceeds go to youth shooting program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.