1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Time For Everything...Beretta Auto Question.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cleboje, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleboje

cleboje Member

Just goes to show that there is a first time for everything...

In my case, my 303 turned into a single shot during a round of clays with my son...the gun would fire the first shell and not cycle the bolt to eject the fired round. The fired round would still be in the chamber with the bolt fully closed and the magazine still held the second shell.

It did this with both factory loads as well as my reloads.

I was able to finish the round by trading off with my son's 391...

Got home and pulled the 303 apart to find that the piston was not all-together.

The 'C' ring that holds the center piece of the 303 piston was no longer clamped in place...the piston had separated into it's three parts, thereby robbing the gun of it's 'gas pulse' needed to cycle the action.

After giving the gun an ultra-thorough cleaning (to include the gas ports), I was able to reassemble the gas piston 'C' ring into the proper location...but I am wondering if I should get a new 'C' ring or not...

After all, this is the first time I have ever had this occur and I have been shooting my 303, 390's and 391 for at least going on 16 years now...

Has this ever happened to anyone else and are there any suggestions?

2. sagepost2

sagepost2 Member

This has happened to me before,when I put the snap ring back on I didn't get in the groove and it came out causing the problem that you are talking about.I put it all back together the proper way and no problems at all. Gary

3. cleboje

cleboje Member

Thanks for the tip, Pat...I will definately look into get a few 'spares' on hand for peace of mind.

Gary - I know what you mean about setting the 'snap-ring' into the groove, as that is the only way the snap-ring will stay in place...mine did not break but I am at a loss as to why it decided to 'pop out'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.