1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First time at Grand American ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

For a first timer at the Grand American...

Is it best to go only during Preliminary Week when there will be fewer people ?

Is it best to only go for a couple or three days so one will not be overwhelmed ?

Is it best to just go and watch others shoot and visit the vendors but save your own shooting for your second visit ?

Thoughts...

(I remember the first time at Oshkosh...)

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It's best to shoot in Ohio!

3. ky205

ky205 Member

Go and shoot as much as you can afford, shoot the second week as not all vendors are there the first week. Don't worry about crowding it's not Vandalia and there's plenty of parking.
    Harry W.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Probably the best approach is to plan to shoot from Saturday of Preliminary Week through the following Saturday (the Grand American Handicap.)

That gives you a couple of days to get oriented and work on some targets before Grand week starts on Monday.

It maximizes your vacation time and let's you shoot at 1700 targets.

This year though, you might want to consider starting at least on Friday of Preliminary Week. That way you can participate in the $100k Preliminary Week Added Money Lewis.

But, however you do it, you'll enjoy the experience.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

This is a video we shot while driving from Bank 27 to Bank 5 during the Krieghoff 100 Handicap on 6 August 2011 (the Saturday of Preliminary Week.)

It's just what you would see looking out the car window, nothing more, nothing less. But it should give those who have never been to the WSRC a sense of what the place is like. We were driving at about 10 - 12 mph and the trip took a little more than 10 minutes.

Enjoy

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hCMOwpncIZ8?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Hope you can handle heat and sweat running down your face and back. Heat index often 100 degree plus. It was so hot one year my friends kept the air cond running in the car all day. Ran back to the car after shooting. Many people get heat stroke every year there.

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

"Heat index often 100 degree plus."

Sounds like Vandalia.

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Its the 90% high huminity that kills you in Sparta.

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I would suggest that you devote a day to just checking out the Venders and not try to shoot that day. If you can arrange to shoot early, you would have time to shop the venders if you have the energy to make the walk.

Another thing to consider if heat is a problem for you is to try and shoot during the morning hours as it can be blazing hot in Sparta in August.
    The weather is the determining factor for this old codger on how much I shoot.

You will have a "grand" time whenever you attend.

ed.

10. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If your really wanting to shoot, preliminary week throws more targets each day than grand week does. Normally there are 300 a day and only 200 a day during grand week. There are not a huge number of people there the first couple of days but the first weekend has about the same number of shooters as grand week has. Don't let the heat scare you. Remember it is the middle of August. It is supposed to be hot. Some years hotter than others.

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sorry to inform you of this Earl, but the humidity was just as high in year's past in Vandalia.

Last year's weather during the Grand was very nice.

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Looking at it in that perspective, it looks like the perfect trapfields. Great back ground, consistent and good. Way away from the parked cars. Maybe not as personal but I bet there aren't many target complaints. And August is August, Sparta or Vandalia it's all the same.Just have to get into tailgating. John

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I too am going to Grand for the first time. I chose to arrive on Saturday the 11th giving me time to check things out on Sunday. I will try to shoofwt what I can except doubles, well, maybe one or two.

Bryan

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why is the parking so far away from the traps? Noise? Future camping?

Cardinal is like that too, but there are camp sites with water and power located in the space.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Not as far as the picture looks John. Very convenient.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Earl again show he doesn't know what he is talking about. Yes it's damn hot but manageable. If you do get into trouble they have the best response teams I have seen. Why don't you check how many shooters died at Vandalia from the heat in the last few years, you might be surprised. The heat index wasn't over 100 every day either.

Go enjoy yourself, set the pace you can handle, shoot the targets you choose to shoot. It is a great event and a great experience. Ignore the advice of those who don't go.

By the way the ages on my squad range from 60 to 83 and we shot every target last year and the years before.

Don

17. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Get there early and make sure you start hydrating a couple days before you get there. Heat will then be very managable. Last year I bought a Frogs wiper and combined with a few sweat bands and constant water heat was never a problem. Goof around for a couple days. Buy all your shells with your rebates, check out the vendors and the peach coobler and root beer floats. Then....... shoot and only shoot. Not only is the competition strong but more of it. Last year I shoot 100 in Event 7, Preliminary Singles, in C Class and there were 2 more 100's. Took the next 4 days for a carry over that fortunately I won. Take pride if you shoot well. A great experience! Can't wait till August.

blade819

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Once there, shoot as many events as possible! Nothing beats a Grand experience like getting your feet wet at the biggest pond! Grand it is but it's still just you and the targets you call for that counts. You'll meet a lot of good people by participating that you wouldn't normally get the chance to meet and shoot with! Any shooting is grand but this is THE GRAND and it only comes once a year!!

Hap

I posted this to your other thread also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.