1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First time at Grand American ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

For a first timer at the Grand American...

Is it best to go only during Preliminary Week when there will be fewer people ?

Is it best to only go for a couple or three days so one will not be overwhelmed ?

Is it best to just go and watch others shoot and visit the vendors but save your own shooting for your second visit ?

Thoughts...

(I remember the first time at Oshkosh...)

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We went for the first time during preliminary week and shot a couple of days. I had a blast, but it would have been nice to see what championship week would have been like as well. The costs associated with going are the same.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My son and I went last year during prelim. week for a few days.

We wanted to go Grand week but schedules did not permit.

Go Grand week if you can. You will like it either way. Great people too.

The vastness of the facility will overwhelm you.

Try out the Sporting Clay courses, not crowded and a real challenge.

Regards......Gerald

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Having participated in other national championship events, you want to go during the premier events if you can. I sure wouldn't go without shooting, but that is just me!

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I'd go Grand week.....plenty of room for everyone.

rickn_2008_170962.jpg

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Cool picture:)

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Once there, shoot as many events as possible! Nothing beats a Grand experience like getting your feet wet at the biggest pond! Grand it is but it's still just you and the targets you call for that counts. You'll meet a lot of good people by participating that you wouldn't normally get the chance to meet and shoot with! Any shooting is grand but this is THE GRAND and it only comes once a year!!

Hap

8. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Go the Grand week and shoot every target. It takes days to see all the vendors and thousands of target guns. Its the biggest shooting event in the world on 3.5 miles of facilities.

Maltz

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This will be my first experience too and I chose to shoot the Grand week also. I'll be there from the 11th to the 20th. Looking forward to meeting some of the characters...err...I mean folks from TS.com. Especially, that Grntitan feller.

Bryan

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Shoot Grand Week. Nothing like participating in the Grand American Handicap (GAH) climax on Saturday!

Guy Babin

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

When you stand out there and they play O Canada then the Star Spangled Banner it will make you a little emotional.Great feeling.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bryan, get phone numbers or camp lot numbers of anyone you want to look up at the Grand.(OR, squad/bank number and approx. start time) You can't get that information at the registration building either, they won't give out any such information. The complex is so wide spread, it's really tough to find friends without the above.

Hap

13. Don S

Don S Member

Last year they posted everyones name & lot number for the campers. It was located in front of the Main Event Center.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oh jeez, that Calkidd guy is gonna try and look me up. He is such a pest.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You love it Matt LOL

16. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Be sure to stop in the Events Center (central entry) building first. You can pick up alot of information there. Take your time visiting all the building vendors on the west side and the tent vendors on the east side (save room after lunch for homemade ice cream). Plan to attend some of the social events to be held in the evenings. Parking is plentiful, so you drive your car just about anywhere, you don't need a golf cart. The Hall of Fame holds a silent auction during Grand week, take a look even if you don't offer a bid. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out. Hope to see ya there.

17. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I think it really depends on what you want to get out of your trip to the Grand... If you are looking to primarily shop the vendors or get a gun serviced, I would say that prelim week is much better as some items are sold out by the beginning of Grand week. If you want to experience the crowds and excitement it's much better to go during Grand week. I've enjoyed both types of trips, but mostly have gone during Grand week.

IMHO there's not much reason to go to the Grand without planning to shoot... It's exciting just being there, but you'll want to shoot when you see thousands of other people take the line for an event. Even if you just shoot a practice round while trying out a new gun you'll be happy that you actually shot there. I took a trip to Vandalia once just to see what it was like -- staying there for 3 days without planning to shoot. About 10 minutes into my trip I decided that I was going to shoot the events while I was there. I just couldn't help but want to get out there and participate, even though I only had about 300 registered targets that year. Two years later, Vandalia was gone and I'm extremely happy that I decided to shoot those events while I could.

--Dan

18. Calkidd

Matt likes the attention, don't ya.

19. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I say go for the GOLD.. attend as much as you can!!

I'll be there for the whole show again this year.. stop by and say hello.

Jerry B.

20. Calkidd

Jerry, where will you be?

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.