1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Target Pin?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Where can we get some first target pins?

My scores are coming up after taking the Winter off so I figure - what the heck, I'll take these new shooters out to the end of the line and throw some straight aways. This one guy is coaching his girl friend and she's missing every time. Light 20 guage that is kicking the snot out of her. 15 or so misses in a row. She doesnt' even move the gun. She tries shooting faster like the other guys who are hitting some. She finally moves the gun towards the target so I say something about that. Then he tells her to look at the bead and not to even try to see the target. Next target I step in and say -

Actually you need to do the inverse of looking at the bead. Look at the target and let your peripheral vision see the gun come across to the target. Always look at the target. It's like hammering a nail. If you look at the hammer are you going to hit the nail? No. You must always look at the nail. This works the same way.

She says - I'm no good at hitting a nail with a hammer either.

I say, just look at the target. She hits the next target. They both turn and look at me like I passed some magic spell over them. 'Just look at the target.'

She misses the next target as usual, but then, the next time she doesn't even shoot. She doesn't shoot because she's back looking at the target and she knows she's not going to hit it. She calls again and breaks it.

We finish the round and end up talking about guys who do this alot and that I'm just repeating what I've heard. He says he was taught to look at the bead. Turns out he spent some time with the Marines last summer...Yeah, those guys are rifle shooters and that's what they do, they look at their sights...this is different.

Made my day.

So we need some first target pins to give new shooters who break their first target. Any sources? I suppose we can list their names in the newsletter along with the other straight runs - Name and "1st target"! This would be a good way to introduce the newsletter to them.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

I actually found a couple after you asked... but our original supplier is adios as far as I can tell...

Jay Spitz

3. joe kuhn

Those were nice. A mini orange target on a tie pin with '1st' printed on it. Who was our supplier?

4. joe kuhn

Close. It says "LONG RUN 1 STRAIGHT". Prefer something like "FIRST TARGET". I asked for a reference to the mfr, but got no response.

Any other leads?

Thanks.

5. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Joe,

Just an idea and something that I do that do and I can't remember where I got the idea from. I have the oppertunity on occaision to introduce the sport to new and young shooters. I save the hull from the first target that the shooter breaks. You can present it to the parents or if you are the coach or know the new shooter, have the hull (brass) engraved or in a small presentation case with the name, date, location of the shooters first target ever broke.

A lot of shooters that I know would love to have that on their mantle.

Garry

6. joe kuhn

Great idea! Thanks.

7. joe kuhn

Just handing them the empty at the end of the round would be nice.

Any other sources for a first target pin?

Thanks everybody.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.