1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First shot on doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

For most, shooting the straightaway first works best. Reduces awkward gun movement to the second target (except for staion 3). O.S.A.R

Got a M R Ducks T-shirt too.

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Right handed shooter, R, R, R, L, L. If starting in station One. Any other way and you are setting yourself up for failure..........

GS

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Joe,

Good advice about taking a clinic. If none are in your area in the near future, ask one of the top doubles shooters at your club to really work with you, ie stand behind you and give instruction, to get you started.

To answer your question: No. But I have not heard of anybody always taking the angled target first. I have seen a few people always take the right-hand bird first. The logic for this is a right-hander normally has an easier time swinging to the left. Also, when shooting with both eyes open it is easier to pick up the 2nd target using your left eye.

If you are usually missing the angle target, I think that you should really give shooting the straight away first.

Jason

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Try it both ways and find out which method is most comfortable for you.
    We aren't all the same, and we don't all shoot our best doing it the same way that someone else shoots their best.

code

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Charlie Morrison that won the doubles championship at the Grand a while back, shooting the angle bird first? I do believe he did. Hap

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many excellent shooters do always shoot the right bird first from each post. I do not qualify as either an excellent shooter or one who shoots the right hand bird first from each post.

I would point out that none of the double birds are straight away if the trap is set correctly.

Pat Ireland

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I honestly have never tried to shoot the angle target first. But lets take that apart. I trap the first target and it would seem to me that shooting the angle first would similar to standing on Post three all the time. To me, doubles is all about practice anyway. But if you are going to try and track a bird that is going one way, fire the gun, stop that motion and get the gun going the other way again, that may be a bit more difficult than just shooting the straight target first, rolling your eyes the other direction, picking up the second target and shooting it also.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

alf174- Your accurate post could be an example of a benefit to ported barrels. The escaping gases from the first shot move the barrel down.

Pat Ireland

9. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

I have run 100 shooting the right target first. Works better for me as most of the targets I shoot (unless a perfect day and targets set correctly) the right target on 4 and 5 seem to go down quicker as im not the fastest doubles shooter and then its easier for me to get the right angle before it makes the move down and away then going after the so called straight away as you only have to shoot under unless you can get it on the way up. Just works good for me.
    Chris

10. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Hundreds have been run both ways. Do whatever works best for you. Nubs Wagner.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto FlaLagarto.

There could be exceptions such as how the wind affects the field. If the left is dying quicker than the right, then shoot the left first.

If the LH is much lower and falls to earth quicker, then again consider the condition.

These are for RH shooter, of course, and the converse would be true.

Always (try) shoot quick.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I doubt that escaping gases from those little bitty holes move the barrel down against the support provided by your forearm under the gun. Barrel porting is baloney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.