1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First shot in doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SES, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SES

SES Member

For a left hand shooter on post one & two shoot left bird first, post four & five right bird first.does anybody shoot doubles this way?Reason Pro & Con.

Thanks
    SES

2. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I am a lefty and on post 1 2 3 I shoot right bird first, post 4 and 5 I shoot left bird first.

But a lot of folks shoot the right bird first on every post. I tried but did not work for me.

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have found it is best to shoot the most straight away bird first. You can trap the first bird. This has less gun movement and gives you more time to swing to the second bird.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's kind'a standard to shoot the more straightaway bird first from 1,2,4&5. left vs right handed wouldn't make any difference. I suppose a lefty might find taking left bird first on post 3 might work best?

John C. Saubak

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Some damn good doubles shooters do it. Whatever works for you. Not for me though. Practice and confidence will get you there if that's the way you want to go.

Steve

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Left handed or right handed - doesn't matter.

You need to keep the gun in motion as you shoot your targets. This is why you go after the target that is most like a straight way first then go to the more angled target. If you try it the other way around you have to swing hard to get to the second target then stop the gun before you shoot. That is very difficult to pull off with any regularity.

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Wolfram,

Tell that to Sean Hawley, and we have one here in MT that can shoot that way also. Takes the right bird first no matter where they are standing.

Now, just for the record, I don't, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I think it's what ever works for you. But then my Dbles suck most of the time so....

Rick in MT

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ya Rick, to every rule there is an exception.(or two)

But my doubles don't suck these days and that is mainly because I learned to keep the gun fluid and not try a bunch of trick shots. But like you say, to each their own.

How is the weather up there? Any snow yet?

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't ask me-my Doubles stink. I'm thinking about going back to the autoloader. At least I broke averages close to 90-breaking 'em the normal way!!

10. ric3677

Wolf, yah..the snow she is coming down.. I have yet to figure out how it can snow when it's -14. That by the way was the warm of the day. I can't wait to see what we end up tonight. It's been 10 degrees colder than they predict every day and night. It was supposed to get to 20 yesterday and only made -2

Actually my dbles don't suck too bad. Just aren't where I would like to be.

Rick in MT

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doubles are easy. Learn how to trap the first bird with no gun movement. You can shoot it with skeet choke at about 5 yards out of the trap house. Then you can move the gun to the second bird and shoot it while it is still rising. HMB

12. cueguy

cueguy Member

I am only an A class doubles, bordering on AA. Left handed, shoot the right hand first all posts. Tried "conventional", barely broke 80. First time shot "backwards", broke 97. No 100's, but oh so close! I would love a lesson from Sean Hawley. Nubs Wagner

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Cowboy!

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Another note worthy shooter that shot them wrong was Pete McCall. Very talented lefty who shot doubles the way your question is asked.

15. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I was a lousy doubles shooter until I observed another guy shooting right targets first on every post. I tried and it works better for me, now I'm a mediocre doubles shooter. I never shot more than 3-4 hundred doubles targets a year, so I didn't shoot them very well, but didn't want to shoot any more because I wasn't good at it. Raised my avg. from 82 to 89. I use my hdcp(27) load for the second shot since it takes a little longer, especially on post 4 & 5, to get to that next bird.

16. ric3677

P-Master,

How can you say that he shot them wrong? Did it not work for him? LOL

Rick in MT

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

So Burtmuss, let me get this straight. You are shooting the straight away on posts 1 and 2,the right target on 3 and then the agnle on 4 and 5 and coming back for the straight away. Is that what you meant? Just wondering because it's different than what the original poster was doing.

Steve

18. cueguy

cueguy Member

Bertmuss. The key on post 4 and 5 shooting the right hand first is to find that "sweet spot" that is a tad off the house corner and not too high. The target comes out over the gun and for a second appears to not be moving. This is with a slight gun movement down the target line. I turn that target to dust and the straight a way is just hanging. Hard to explain. That is how Pete McCall shoots them. Charlie Morrison too, who won the doubles championship at the Grand some years ago. Grant Beam also, won the Ohio championship. Steve Richardson, won the Ky championship. Sean Hawley, 1130 straight. Just to name a few. It may not work for you, but it will take some time to find out. Good luck, Nubs Wagner

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sean Hawley's average was only 98.64 last year. He's slipping.

20. cueguy

cueguy Member

I guess I better re think taking a lesson from a guy who is on the down slide! LOL Nubs Wagner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.