1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

first shot doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likemybrownings, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

At risk here at TS.com getting answers of prime rib, or Turkey for Xmas? I haven't shot many doubles but I find them to be much fun. I am asking all who know, is a load of 7/8oz of 9's enough for the first target?? and if any uses this load a recommendation or receipe, and expected pressures, want a clean burn, without much crap left in the barrel. Thanks Dave Butzier

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Never tried 9s. However I have used a boat load of 7/8oz 8 1/2s @ 1225 for my first shot in doubles. I can say that most of the time they just leave little clouds where the bird was and that when they don't it's my fault not the load. My favorite is Remington hull, 17.5 Red Dot,CB0178-12 wad, Rem 209 primer. Also works very well with the Claybuster Lighting wad or the DRRT12 wad . The pressures on this are low ~7000psi range so they are a little dirty. Some of the loads listed with the new Alliant Extra-Light look promising but I have never tried it. I don't see any reason that at the normal first bird range 9s would not work as well. Load a hundred or so and give them a try.

--- Chip King ---

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Even light 1 oz won't reset the trigger on my gun, that's something to think about unless you have mechanical triggers.

Rick in MT

4. likemybrownings

I am shooting a Browning XT unsingle combo, see? , raises another question,is it too light will it reset my triggers? Thanks so much , will make th,at initial attempt in the BACKYARD? thanks LOTS,, Chip King, will try that load with 9'S I need as many chances as I can get TY Dave Butzier

5. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

My 7/8 oz loads haven't caused a problem with the inertia triggers on my superposed.

6. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

7/8 oz 9's, 16.8 Promo in STS hull. If I miss it's not the load's fault.

Joe Smoke

7. likemybrownings

At risk here at TS.com getting answers of prime rib, or Turkey for Xmas? I haven't shot many doubles but I find them to be much fun. I am asking all who know, is a load of 7/8oz of 9's enough for the first target?? and if any uses this load a recommendation or receipe, and expected pressures, want a clean burn, without much crap left in the barrel. Thanks Dave Butzier

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Never tried 9s. However I have used a boat load of 7/8oz 8 1/2s @ 1225 for my first shot in doubles. I can say that most of the time they just leave little clouds where the bird was and that when they don't it's my fault not the load. My favorite is Remington hull, 17.5 Red Dot,CB0178-12 wad, Rem 209 primer. Also works very well with the Claybuster Lighting wad or the DRRT12 wad . The pressures on this are low ~7000psi range so they are a little dirty. Some of the loads listed with the new Alliant Extra-Light look promising but I have never tried it. I don't see any reason that at the normal first bird range 9s would not work as well. Load a hundred or so and give them a try.

--- Chip King ---

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Even light 1 oz won't reset the trigger on my gun, that's something to think about unless you have mechanical triggers.

Rick in MT

10. likemybrownings

I am shooting a Browning XT unsingle combo, see? , raises another question,is it too light will it reset my triggers? Thanks so much , will make th,at initial attempt in the BACKYARD? thanks LOTS,, Chip King, will try that load with 9'S I need as many chances as I can get TY Dave Butzier

11. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

My 7/8 oz loads haven't caused a problem with the inertia triggers on my superposed.

12. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

7/8 oz 9's, 16.8 Promo in STS hull. If I miss it's not the load's fault.

Joe Smoke

13. likemybrownings

Joe Smoke, what wad, and primer u using? TY
    Dave B

14. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I load and shoot 7/8oz of 9's in a Rem hull, DRXXL pink wad, Nobel Sport primer, and 17.5 grains Promo powder for about 1250fps. It smokes the first bird and in my Superposed it has no problem setting the inertia trigger. Also with the lighter load it's easier for me to get on the second bird. Load a few up, I think you'll like the results.

15. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

9's are fine. Concentrate on where you're holding and where you're looking, the load ain't all that critical. Probably true for singles and 27 now that I think of it.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The lighter a shot load, the more it requires a good fire built behind it. Bama73 answered it correctly.

If a 1 ounce load has trouble operating the inertia block, how in the world does bunker loads work with less than a 7/8ths ounce load, a 24 gram load?

Hap

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

24 gram bunker loads are all 1325 to 1350 fps. First shot 9's second shot 7.5's.

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've been shooting 7/8oz shells very similar to what chipking uses and they work great in all my guns. I use them in my slide, semi's, and o/u's with zero issues.

If you trigger won't reset after shooting 7/8oz loads, then you probably need to give the triggers a good cleaning and light oiling.

ss

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

One oz of 9's, 980 fps, skeet choke. No barrel bounce, easy to move to second bird.

20. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I use 7/8 oz. of 8 1/2, 18.5 grains of Promo with a Cheddite primer and DRXXL wad in a AA hull. Works great and the book says it is traveling at 1300FPS. I shoot practice with this load from the 22 yard line and it smokes them when you center-up on them.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.