1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First shoot with new BT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

I'm ecstatic with this new gun! Feels natural and easy to get right on target. Couldn't be happier. Shot 6 rounds. Best round 21......others consistently crappy at around 18. But...just getting started back into it so it's okay. Last round started consistently shooting below the birds. Was getting ticked off and finally packed it in. Couldn't figure it out until cleaning the gun......I didn't tighten the comb down tight enough and it had slipped down to the bottom against the stock, unbeknownst to me while shooting. Readjusted it and tightened the hell out of it. Might head out again tomorrow a.m. unless wassername has other plans.

Concentrated on trying to keep both eyes open...was hard but usually proved successful.

Thinking about adding an adjustable butt plate. Another shooter had one on his old BT and didn't have to drill/cut the stock. Looks just like the GraCoil. Said it mounts straight up to the butt.

cheers
    Bill

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Put spacers on the comb posts, then it can't slide down.

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I am thinking of doing that to my gun. Do you have to buy special spacers or can you just use washers?

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Doesn't matter, whatever looks good to you. I cut a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to length, and paint it black.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The adjustable buttplate from Steve Jones of Recoil-Less Engineering is one of the best, especially if you have a BT99 Plus.

Recoil-Less Engineering
    20 E. Main St., Winters, CA 95694
    (530) 795-3771 FAX: 3855
    The Dead Mule Recoil Reducer; Jones Stock Adjuster; Gun Nut System; and the Terminator Recoil Pad. Kick-Eez & Pachmayer recoil pads.

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Until you get the comb replaced, ADD SOME WASHERS/SPACERS NOW!!!! I had the misfortune of having my comb fall a few times during a shoot. Very discouraging when you go from floating the target to covering the target and don't know why. I'm getting mine replaced after the shooting season is over, for now I have a stack of washers holding up the comb (and it works fine).

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

Will look into spacers for the comb. (I'm going to get the comb replaced???) Thanks for the headsup....looks like i'm not the only one.

Will definitely check out Recoil-less Engineering. Have to use the gun a bit more but feel it's the way to go. Stock feels a tad short to me.

b

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Oops sorry, I thought you were getting it replaced. Most people that I know that have the Browning comb are having it replaced, but the washers/spacers work just fine. Mine are straight from the hardware store.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You can get some cheap metal washers OR my favorite is the nylon washers at just about any hardware store. Cutting some tubing or pipe was an early try for me but I couldn't get the length right easily and the washers were a snap....Bob Dodd

10. Billster

Billster TS Member

Does the comb just pull straight out when the allen is loosened? Will head to the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks ag'in.

b

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I use the nylon washers that th whole is the diameter of your post x 1/16 thick. These stacked on top of each other seem to work really well for my 3 guns.

12. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Once the screw is loosened off, the comb pulls right out and can go back in, easily.

I use black, plastic tap washers from the plumbing section. Those marked 1/4M fit the posts tightly.

I only needed to rais the comb 1/8", with no cast, on my BT99 to get the drop and POI I wanted, it gets left at that setting and I don't mess with it. One 1/4M washer on each post did the trick, they are unobtrusive and look like they could be a Browning accessory. I set this up in Feb. 2007 and it has not moved or loosened yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.