1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Perazzi! advice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by VTRookie, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VTRookie

VTRookie Member

A few months ago I got exposed to formal clay shooting (5 stand and trap) at a local club, really enjoyed it, and have been going one or two times a week every since. I started with my Browning BPS 20 gauge, which I had a great time with but once I decided to get a little more serious (hoping to shoot registered targets soon) I knew I would need to upgrade my equipment. I purchased a used Fabarm XLR5 hoping it would be my go to gun, unfortunately it didn't work out... enter Perazzi and my questions

I had drooled over Perazzi's during my past research but I wasn't till I handled my current gun at a local shop that I knew I would have one. It took me a few months but I made the purchase this week and couldn't be happier.

The gun: MX8, type 3, Ithaca import, with a 32" o/u barrel, 33" bottom unisingle by Northveiw, two trigger groups, extra stock, extra spring kit, and sorta beat up case for everything. I'll post a picture asap

The bad... Case hardening/color is very worn and the lever is dead center (still locks up tight). I have been talking to Giacomo Sporting a lot about refurbishing the gun (very nice people) but I blew my budget so I am considering selling the unisingle barrel and one trigger group to pay for repairs. Would $500-800 and $300-400 respectively be the right price range for these? I feel I may regret this; the other option is to shoot the gun as is and worry about repairs next winter.

Also are any of the type 4 upgrades worth the money? maybe just the forend for restocking?

If your still reading thanks!
    - John H

2. mich746

mich746 Member

You are asking for opinion's so here you go...........I think you would be nuts to sell the unisingle, That's going to be your go-to barrel. Shoot it like it is and don't worry about a little bluing. Just choot-um

3. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Unless the worn appearance really bothers you, it sounds like you would advance your goal of getting better by just shooting it, as is. Spending a lot of money to make it pretty and perfect is OK if you got the money sitting around, but selling items that may be useful to you may not be a good idea.

If it's safe and locks up tight it will probably last a couple of seasons before it really needs something.

4. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I say buy and shoot it. When you feel it try to open on second shot send to Doug Baker for a rebuild there are lots of ways to improve the looks after you are happy shooting the gun. Tom

5. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I have a Type 111 Mirage. The case hardening has wore but several people say
    it looks cool, including Dan Carlisle. If it needs tightening, consider Pat
    Laib or Philip Crenwelge, both do excellent, reasonable work. Skip the
    cosmetics and enjoy your Perazzi. Gary Owen

6. VTRookie

VTRookie Member

Thank you for the responses guys.

Knowing that it doesn't necessarily need an immediate rebuild due to the lever position makes me feel a lot better.

I should add that I shot one round(25) of trap with the unisingle and didn't miss, which is rare for me (I shoot a lot more 5 stand then trap... not sure if I should admit that on this forum.. hah).

- John H

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you ever saw the great Dan Bonillas's MX 3, you'd do NOTHING to that gun! the Doug Braker suggestion is good if you want repairs.Also, Whiz White.

Jim

8. VTRookie

VTRookie Member

Here it is!

9. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Nice Tom

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Keep your second trigger assembly. You'll need it when your hammer
    spring breaks.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Hi John, Welcome to TS. And welcome to the world of Perazzi. Good picture.

Seems you already knew many things about the MX-8 you just bought, type III, add on unsingle barrel, and their configurations. IMO, with any shotguns, unless there's something needs immediate attention, shoot the gun for a period of time before you do anything to it, or keep it.

Being a type III gun, the only, repeat, ONLY issue, if any at all, is the forend iron and wood fit, some (less than 50%) might crack the forearm wood if the screws were not tightened right. But I've seen some wood cracked all the way to the back, and didn't affect the function of the gun at all. So don't worry too much about it.

I'd try the gun first, with the stock you have, see how you like it. The balance and feel of a shotgun is everything, how the finish look is only a matter of personal preferences, and an easy fix.

Upgrade to type IV involves a new type IV iron and wood, with today's market, that's an easy $800~900 cost, then you'll have to change to type IV under lugs on both barrels. IMO, not worth the cost for what you get.

I rarely give opinions about prices on open forums, but I think your extra trigger is in the $500 price range, if it's in good condition.

Good shooting.

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Trade both for a K-80?

13. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Pat Laib has an inexpensive modification to type III fore ends that will prevent
    cracking.

14. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Nice looking set. Keep the unsingle/extra trigger and worry about upgrades when it really needs them. You would probably never be able to replace the barrel and trigger for what you get for them. My philosophy on such matters is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

15. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have 2 MX8's and both are from 1975 marked AA on the date stamp. One is a combo set now and the other a top single. The serial numbers are only 12 numbers apart on the top singles. All are type 3 without cracked forends and function perfectly. I see no advantage in not having a new type four, except that the new ones can almost always swap barrels and forends like Lego blocks. Testing to make sure it's tight is as simple as removing the forend and shake the barrel and receiver to see if it has play in it. If it's tight shoot it until it gets loose. Then have a new locking block fitted or rebuilt and shoot for another decade or 2.

My advice would be to shoot your gun a lot to see if you like it and get used to it. If after some time it doesn't work out then sell it or trade it for something else. If you always buy used and pay a fair price you can recover your money if you decide to part ways. The P-Guns as we refer to them here are a class act with proven performance and reliability. Check out how many Olympic Medals have been won with Perazzi compared to all others combined. Welcome to Perazzi Land!

16. VTRookie

VTRookie Member

I think I'll be sticking with the type 3 setup. After shooting the gun a bit I'm really enjoying it... however I found that my parallel comb stock has left cast (I'm a righty) and was giving me a nice black and blue on my cheek by the end of every practice session. That one's moving to the for sale section soon. Thank you guys again for all the advice.

17. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Perazzi stock is surprisingly inexpensive on the used market considering what the gun cost. It's pretty easy to find a right hand stock that works for you.

Good luck and enjoy the gun.

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

If it shoots for you, and your breaking targets, don't worry about what it looks like. Enjoy it. They are great guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.