1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Ladies Introduction to Skeet...Need info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Jun 7, 2013.

1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I need some handouts for my first Ladies Introduction to Skeet this weekend. All of the women have taken Introduction to Shotgun from me (Trap Field) and now want to learn Skeet. I've printed a diagram of the Skeet Field, with hold points and foot position. Does anyone know a good site I can go to so I can print up diagrams on Breakpoints, etc? Any other tips you can give me for newbies. I am going to have them shoot singles with a double from position 7.
    Thanks ~ Yvonne

2. tachyon

tachyon Member

Good luck with your introduction. I have introduced about 200 high school girls to trap and skeet. From my experience it is best to just walk them through each post. Most of the time they are confused when they start even if they have read about hold points and foot position. I have them shoot doubles at one and seven but just doing it from seven also makes sense. Since the place where I go has a trap/skeet layout I use the trap house to talk about leads (i.e. half a trap house) and put the hold points as a fraction (i.e. break the distance from the middle stake to the house in thirds and hold at the one third point).

Good luck. In my mind there is nothing better than seeing the big smile on someones face when they first break a target.

3. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Active Member

I really like to teach station one low house to new shooters. They get a huge satisfaction breaking that clay close to them and hits are inkballs. It is a lot of swing for a right handed shooter and the move draws the stock into the cheek. It becomes a go to station for confidence building with newer shooters once they get the sight picture.

Deff. avoid the temptation to walk a new shooter around to all stations for a first intro. Show the first few and see how the breaks go. Add stations if they are over 50%. If not keep on the same ones till they are.

Bob

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link and scroll down to Skeet Shooting Fundamentals. This is from D. Lee Braun's book-Skeet Shooting with the Remington Pros. It will give you body and foot positions, hold points, and leads for each target, each station.

Another thing that helps new shooters is to throw a rapport pair, instead of a true pair, for a couple of rounds. Once their timing on the first bird picks up, and they know were the second bird is supposed to be, start pushing the true pair button.

Wayne

http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_Skeet_Fundamentals_2004.pdf

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Start them off on low 7. HMB

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Start'em off shooting trap.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

One way to introduce Skeet would be to consider hosting a Women on Target Instructional Shooting Clinic at your club. You can obtain Women on Target Planning Guides by calling the NRA at (703) 267-1393 or email WomenOnTargetClinics@nrahq.org. They also have an excellent little booklet called "The Skeeters' Guide."

Also, this posting at shotgunworld.com is useful:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=49004

8. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Thanks Everyone ~ Used some of your tips and the clinic went great!

9. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

Gee whiz. I thought I was going to find out how Michelle Obama learned to shoot skeet. Bud

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You and me too.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Chilled wine, cheese, and crackers to hold their attention ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Yvonne,

It's a little late but in my opinion, one of the most important things to conssider is how ANY shotgun stock will make contact with girls' womens' shoulders.

The problem is with the the butts of shotgun stocks. It occurs because the bottom, pointed "toe" of the recoil pad sticks out too far. Women have a different chest design than men and that toe often jabs women painfully in the breast during recoil. This can quite easily be corrected but for a first outing resolutions are few.

The only temporary "fixes" for the problem are a thick shoulder pad in a shooting vest, mounting the gun with it rotated (canted) to put the pointed "toe" of the recoil pad in the armpit or mounting the gun out on the shoulder joint or upper arm rather than correctly, in the shoulder pocket inside of the shoulder joint. Avoid the last possibility.

Many guns used by women have stocks that are too long for them. It often causes them to shoot with too much weight on their back foot, which can lead to excessive felt recoil.

About the only useful thing that can be done to deal with a stock that is too long, is to rotate the body during set-up so the shoulders are more in line with the direction the gun will be pointing when it is fired. The only difficulty with doing this is that the ability to swing to the left (for right-handed shooters) will be reduced and so muct be compensated for during set-up.

No one has mentioned eye-dominance. Most of us have one eye that is dominant (focuses more quickly than the other). Many women who are right handed, are left eye dominant. If they shoot right handed with both eyes open, they will have trouble shooting targets.

You probably already do, but if not, I suggest you do a quick eye eominance test before allowing any young woman to shoot a shsotgun. If she is cross dominant, have her mount the gun on the shoulder that corresponds with her domanant eye.

If she is new to shooting, she will probably close one eye and aim the gun shen she shoots. Eventurally, when she has more experience and a gun that fits her well, she will learn to shoot with both eyes open. As you know, it is then that cross dominance will significantly reduce shooting success. For that reason, it would be best ot get young women used to shooting from the shoulder that corresponds with their eye dominance.

Rollin

Search tags for this page

women mounting shotgun on shoulder for trap