1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

First Job......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ronbo142, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

From a CNN link.....

1. Actor Orlando Bloom's first job was working at a skeet shooting range as a clay pigeon trapper when he was just 13.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My first job was washing dishes at a Chinese joint. I still like Chinese food.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

My first job was picking up golf balls at a driving range for $1 a day. I was to be paid once a week and my dad had to threaten to whip the guy's butt after 30 days to get my money! I was 11 years old, 50 years ago, and have had a job ever since. I just hope I can hold on until we get through Obama and Pelosi. I'm afraid of what I see.

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Working in a grocery store for $3.35/hr...min wage.

Was supposed to work 4-11pm. 11pm rolls around, and I figure its time to go. Nope...gotta finish cleaning the store. On school nights, they would let us leave by 1am. On Friday and Saturday, they owned you...I would often work 4pm to 3am. And since it was only scheduled as a 7 hour shift, you got one 15 minute break. And if you didn't hustle, you were gone. It was 1981, 10% unemployment, and the boss had a stack of applications two inches thick. I was a high school kid, and there were many adults who didn't have work. So I hustled.

Stayed there 6 years. When I left, I was making $3.75/hr.

I was young (16) then. But I don't fear the hard times that are coming now. I made it through those, and I'll make it through these. That job taught me no one ever drowned in sweat. I'll always be able to make a living.

5. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Paper route - think I made something like $40 a MONTH less those deadbeats that moved or were never home to pay me.

6. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

In 1962 I was 14 and my first job was at Chicken Delight cooking and preping food for $0.65/ hour.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Grocery store $1 an hour.

Don Verna

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Service station attendant and was paid the whopping big sum of $0.25 an hour.......And that included fixing flat tires all the way up to tractor tires.....Changing oil and pumping gas and cleaning everyone's windshield.

Hauxfan!

9. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

worked for my old man in his sheet metal shop,starting at 14, for what ever he felt like giving me. First paying job-Airman Basic,USAF $78/mo. 1966. Started bending tin again when I got out in 1970- been at it ever since...

Larry

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Started working for my dad when I was 10 in 1970 cutting fish $100 a summer. He passed away in 1980 and I'm still at 39 years later and still only making $100. LOL

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Working for my dad and grandpa at the Litchfield, Il Western Auto Store. Eight years old and got $10. a week. Swept floors, dusted and clerked the floor.

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

First paying job was to mow a neighbors lawn and he wouldn't let me use my dads new mower I had to push his old rotary mower and made a dollar for about an hour and fifteen minutes work. I still have the air mattress that I saved for when I made that first dollar. It must have been a good one cause it's 50 years old and still holds air. Dan

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Golf Course, 1972, $2.25/H in the resturaunt. Bought my first good rifle with the first summer's wages ... a m700 BDL LH 7mag and a 3x9 Redfield. Still have the rifle but the barrel was shot out long ago.

14. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Umpiring Little League, $25 a game! I sure miss that job...
    -Trappy

15. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Baling alfalfa for one of the Farmers down the road. Bugger tried to pay me with a bag of "weed". I advised him I did not use that crap & wanted cash. He told me I could sell it and make a "ton". Pop had to pay a visit to set things right. I handled many a bale of hay & straw after that. Never worked for this particular guy again, and was never offered anything silly like that for payment, either.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You can still do that Trappy. Good easy money.

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

1975, 15 with a work-permit, working the tobacco counter at a discount department store selling cigarettes... $6-7/Carton. Couldn't do that today!

regards to all,

Jay

18. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Paper route in Lewiston Orchards, Idaho in 1947. I was 9 years old and got 1 cent a paper. Delivered it on my Schwinn bike 125 papers 7 days a week, 5 miles a day. I also so got all the fruit I could eat in the spring, summer, and fall.

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Multi-Lakes trapper back in the days when that club was really hopping. We would go on a circuit to registered shoots at Birmingham and Detroit Gun Club. I hated ATA shoots because they were a pain in the ass in the days of hand set, no voice activated. Some of you guys really had problems. THANK GOD for voice activated releases!

20. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I would, but the local little league decided to make the 11-12 league officiated by patched umpires, so now all that's left if the 9-10 year olds. Less available games, and the fact that I can't bring myself to call such a big strike zone brought me to my decision to not both with umpiring 9-10 year olds. I get too frustrated when they can't make a play, and I have to hold my breath after after ground ball! :p
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.